Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swoboda4
    • Nov 2005

Quite a bidding war

I can't help but mention the recent Kevin McReynolds Mets helmet auction on e-bay which was won by TNT. I didn't want to showcase it prior to its ending but I'm glad I didn't get involved at the expense of other items I recently got, because I obviously would not have won.

• jppopma
    • Mar 2006

Re: Quite a bidding war

I was looking at a Mark Dewey jersey he had up. The bidding on that went over my snipe and I was suprised how much interest there was in a common jersey. Either way, good job by TNT on the sales.

Comment

• cbb5
      • Nov 2005

Couple of things that bugged me about that belmet. I could be wrong, but I looked back at some pictures and I could swear that the Mets always used blue dymo tape. Secondly, In 1987, I believe the Mets started to use the raised NY orange logo instead of the one shown on the Mac helmet (with the clear portion outside of the orange). Any thoughts? Check out Straws NY from 1987:

Comment

• Swoboda4
        • Nov 2005

Well this is a card from 1987, so its possible the sticker version of the "NY" is OK to have on a McReynolds helmet. I can't say for certain what color the Dyno-tape is.

Comment

• TNTtoys
          • Aug 2006

Robert,

Just a big thank you in order for you...

First, for starting this thread, which highlighted a recent item I sold over ebay (damn--why couldn't you have started it before it finished!!! )

And secondly (and more importantly) for supplying the photo evidence of McReynolds wearing the helmet (or at very worst, a style match) during the 1987 season.

Kind regards,
          Nick
          Looking for ...
          Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
          Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
          Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• Swoboda4
            • Nov 2005

Nick,I'm an idiot because I thought you were winning the auction ,not actually the seller. I didn't want other people sniping you. E-bay gave me a new formatted display page and I wasn't used to seeing the seller at the right side. Another reason why you shouldn't drink and then go on the internet. I know, bidders ID are not shown now.

I actually believe it to be a photo match based on the raised corners of the NY sticker. But I cant provide a clear enough image of the Fleer card.

Very nice item. Let me know if you sell a McReynolds batting practice pull-over w/name on back.
            Robert

Comment

• cbb5
              • Nov 2005

I have no doubt it's an official Mets helmet. I have a Rick Aguilera from 88 and the inside is almost identical with the customization. I just thought maybe it was a common players or extra helmet and someone doctored it or who knows. Like I said the black tape and the sticker jumped out at me but I've been wrong before and will again That fleer card pic was most likely taken in ST, so maybe it was Mac's ST helmet.

Comment

• TNTtoys
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by cbb5
                I have no doubt it's an official Mets helmet. I have a Rick Aguilera from 88 and the inside is almost identical with the customization. I just thought maybe it was a common players or extra helmet and someone doctored it or who knows. Like I said the black tape and the sticker jumped out at me but I've been wrong before and will again That fleer card pic was most likely taken in ST, so maybe it was Mac's ST helmet.
                I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the helmet I sold was McReynolds' helmet from the late 1980s; if not the exact helmet he wore on the card posted by Robert.

I also don't believe that players went through helmets the way they do now (e.g. helmets for spring training that were collected by agents/memorabila middlemen; then many other helmets worn by the player and collected at various points during the season). Players got far more use out of their helmets back then, and likely wore them all year or even for multiple years. I don't buy into a helmet having been worn just for 1987 spring training.

The card is from the Fleer Update set which would have come out later in the year 1987. The photo could be from spring training that year or even from pre-game batting practice. The same style jersey would have been worn on each occasion.

Finally, if anyone was clever enough to doctor a late 80's Mets helmet, surely they could have picked a more popular player than McReynolds! To name a few -- Keith Hernandez, Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Gary Carter, Mookie Wilson, Lenny Dykstra, David Cone, Sid Fernandez, Howard Johnson, Ray Knight...I'll stop there, you get the idea. Let's face it, the guy had a few good offensive seasons with the Mets, but he was and is far from a fan favorite. He was always criticized for his silent approach. He was perceived as apathetic / lazy, he displayed no passion on and off the field. His memorabilia today doesn't seek prices anywhere near the others (It wasn't even 3 years ago when I bought a McReynolds game used bat with good use for $30.00). To doctor anything into a McReynolds item just seems downright silly.
                Looking for ...

Comment

• Swoboda4
                  • Nov 2005

Nick,
                  1. I have to agree on the fact that there is no McReynolds forgery ring. I believe the helmet to be real and the one on the card. My opinion. I have entire ch 9 1987 Met games on VHS tapes somewhere and will for fun research this. The Mets were notorious for keeping the same helmet for a long period of time which adds to my comfort level.
                  But I must say that I encourage the questions that cbb5 asked especially black dyno-tape instead of blue. We can't get mad at good questions.

2. Has anyone noticed how e-bay now displays time left on a auction with a running countdown display at the 10 minutes left mark. Very nice.

Robert

Comment

• yankees159
                    • Aug 2005

Hi All I was the winning bidder for this item and certainly have a vested interest in what the ch 9 footage proves. Man I love this Forum.

Thanks,

TJ

Comment

• metsbats
                      • Nov 2005

You would think though if you were going to fake a mid 80's Mets helmet your choice of player wouldn't be McReynolds.

The only right handed batters on the 87 roster other than K-Mac that would raise the value of a right handed helmet with a flap would be Gooden, Darling, or HOJO. Perhaps Jefferies too.
                      metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• dcrules01
                        • Nov 2005

I have been watching the thread and in my conclusion the helmet seems to be the one shown on the card.Not much difference. I also would be in agreement about someone not going through faking a Game Used Kevin Mcreynolds helmet when other more profitable stars could be done like Gooden ,Darling even HoJo.All key components to the 86 team which Mcreynolds was not a part of and to my recollection was never a big fan favorite during his tenure with the Mets.
                        Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

• yankees159
                          • Aug 2005

Guys a quick update. Nick is a real class act, he is researching through the community of Met Experts to see if anyone can find an example of a GU Mets Helmet with Black Dyno tape. That's the question I think we all have. Can anyone help us out? By the way, regardless of the answers we recieve I would highly recommend buying from Nick, he's one of the best guys in the hobby for he truly cares to find the correct answer.

Best,

TJ

Comment

• cbb5
                            • Nov 2005

I do agree with all of the responses in this post. That's what makes this forum great - people with a lot of knowledge! One more thing to fan the flames (keep in mind I did say I do believe the helmet is legit somewhat) - I think Samuels put the nickname of the players on the helmet if the name was too long (i.e. Straw for Strawberry). I have an Aguilera from either 87 or 88 and it is labeled with AGGIE. Certainly McReynolds is quite long and perhaps Charlie put MAC on the dyno-tape. Just food for thought.
                            Chris

Comment

• TNTtoys
                              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by cbb5
                              I think Samuels put the nickname of the players on the helmet if the name was too long (i.e. Straw for Strawberry
                              Chris,

Not true. Here is a photo of a "STRAWBERRY." While a nickname may have appeared on some helmets, there was no science behind any of this.

Another Mets expert offered me some info from a conversation he had with Charlie last year. Charlie complained that the dyno tape kept falling off the helmets at a rate of more than once a month. He continuously had to replace it; that is, until roughly 1990, when the Mets began to use "P-Touch."

Regards,
                              Nick
                              Attached Files
                              Looking for ...

Comment

Working...