PDA

View Full Version : 1970's Cardinals Jersey Question?

RJB44
07-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Hi
Can anyone advise whether or not the Cardinals had NOB for their spring training jerseys between 1973 and 1980? Also, between what years did they wear the number on the sleeves?

Thanks

flaco1801
07-19-2009, 10:45 PM
numbers on sleeve i think were 78 and 79

Birdbats
07-20-2009, 09:44 AM
The Cards wore numbers on their sleeves in 1979 and 1980. They also wore numbers on their sleeves in 1923 and 1924.

As I understand it, in spring training, the "name" players had NOBs. If you had a shot at making the team, you probably had a NOB. Younger players often didn't have NOBs. These were the low-level minor league guys who were playing on the back fields. They recycled jerseys over and over, typically writing the name of each player inside the jersey in marker each spring (in the collar, on the back of the numbers, in the tails, etc.). Some of these jerseys never had NOBs, others had NOBs removed (recycled from regular season use).

Even today, you'll sometimes spot a player in a spring game without a NOB -- usually wearing a number in the 90s.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/DCP05974.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/DCP05976.jpg

sox83cubs84
07-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Jeff's take is an excellent one. The Cardinals, during their pullover years in the 1970s/80s, used minor league pullovers with no NOBs, no place for NOBs, and a year/set flag tag. For decades, easily deluded and knowingly unethical sellers have trotted these type of jerseys out as "spring training" jersey, when they are, in fact minor league shirts. Even a few flannels have been offered this way...a 1967 #9 set 1 Rawlings Cards home flannel with no NIT tag and no NOB/space for one was for years being touted as a "Roger Maris" spring training jersey, usually by one expert-in-his-own-mind who claimed to be working hand-in-hand with the Commisioner's Office regarding game-used jersey forgeries. Bottom line: if the jersey being offered with tags but no NOB/place for NOB is a Brock, Gibson, Schoendienst, Simmons, Reggie Smith, or anyone who was at least a minor star, RUN, do not walk, in the other direction.

Dave M.
Chicago area