PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Broken Bats

oakesc8855
07-21-2009, 11:10 AM
I was wondering what the best way to repair broken bats are and what you guys tricks of the trade are...I just need to nail them or something on the back side so i can display them. Thanks

VALAIKA COLLECTOR
07-21-2009, 11:28 AM
I was wondering what the best way to repair broken bats are and what you guys tricks of the trade are...I just need to nail them or something on the back side so i can display them. Thanks

I use crazy glue, works great everytime. If it is broken in two places or you just want to glue the handle backtogether, use crazy glue and when done wrap tape around where you glued it to secure it. Best tape to use is the kind ball players use to tape handles. Let it sit for a good 30 min- 1 hour and then take the tape off and the bat will be secured.

chicagoglen
07-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Used regular yellow wood glue and clamp it back together. Leave clamps on for an hour or so and it will be very strong. You can leave on longer for best results. Wood glue is actually stronger than wood when cured.

cordovacollector
07-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Use a variety of sizes of hose clamps spaced about 2-3" apart after gluing. Use leather pads to under the clamps to avoid dents and marking from the clamps.

mattmueller
07-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I have used Gorilla Glue to repair both cracks and complete breaks. I glue then clamp them overnight with common clamps found at Home Depot, they cost $1 - $3 each depending on size. I always keep an eye on the bat every couple of minutes for the first half hour or so to take a damp cloth to wipe any excess glue, it expands more than you think it would. Also, even though the clamps are coated with a heavy plastic, I will often try to protect the bat's surface from the clamps.

Matt

cjclong
07-21-2009, 01:12 PM
If the bat is broken at the handle completely in half, into two pieces- the handle and the barrel, but with a clean break, what kind of success has anyone had re attaching the two parts together and getting them to hold. Will just glue do it?

CampWest
07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Will just glue do it?

... it will be very strong. ... Wood glue is actually stronger than wood when cured.

yes

mattmueller
07-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Camp - yes. I recently purchased a bat described to me as a having a "crack", which when I got it was split in half. The split was probably 10 inches long, covering from the mid handle to lower barrel. A little Gorilla Glue, some clamps, and curing over night, the next day I had a bat that I could pick up by the handle and it felt completely sturdy.

Matt

mattmueller
07-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Sorry, meant to say Second Camp's yes.

oakesc8855
07-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Thank you very much everyone this post was very educational and helpful to me.