PDA

View Full Version : Sadaharu Oh Jersey on eBay

Robert Sanders
07-22-2009, 01:30 PM
The description starts "You are bidding on a Sadaharu Oh Game Used Full Uniform. That is all that I know about it. If any of you can read japanese than you should read what the uniform says."

I can read Japanese, but unfortunately the writing is in Korean...

http://cgi.ebay.com/SADAHARU-OH-authentic-game-worn-japanese-uniform-WOW_W0QQitemZ280375762381QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintag e_Sports_Memorabilia?hash=item4147b29dcd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

David
07-22-2009, 04:41 PM
It's all Mandarin to me.

suicide_squeeze
07-22-2009, 05:58 PM
This is yet another example of how far things have fallen in our society.

This guy has no clue whatsoever if this is real....if it's game used.....please, read the seller's words...

"You are bidding on a Sadaharu Oh Full Uniform in Korean letters. That is all that I know about it. If any of you can read Korean than you should read what the uniform says. Sadaharu Oh possibly gamed used uniform. It sure seems like it could be. And there is No reason for me to believe it was not game used or worn. It was from his personal collection. This is a genuine real uniform that has been extremely well taken care of since I got it 10 years ago. It was given to a friend of Sadarhu's and then I got it. Amazing."

Yes.....truly amazing.

So now we are selling items with no provenance, other than 100% heresay, and are selling it as game used because, after all, the seller has no reason to believe it was not game used or worn.

And the description about how came about obtaining it is also truly remarkable.....

"It was given to a friend of Sadarhu's.........and then I got it".

I guess it's contagious.....because he got it.

And who is Sadarhu? When and where did he get into the picture? Is he the guy with the local softball team in South Korea that supplied this beautiful piece?

Why would a Japanese professional player be wearing a game-used jersey decked out in Korean lettering?

Would anyone like to wager how many bids this http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/34.gifgets on this fine uniform???

It's depressing to see what's going on in our world, at least to me.

bestjkk
09-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Hi,
I am Korean and collecting Korean jersey.

This jersey is not SADAHARU OH jersey.
It is a Samsung Lions jersey.

However, it looks like that it does not belong any player.
The player name is "Shin Il Lee".
I can't find his name in the players list of KBO.

In addition, if korean make for OH for Korean name, it should be "Jung-Chi Wang".

sox83cubs84
09-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi,
I am Korean and collecting Korean jersey.

This jersey is not SADAHARU OH jersey.
It is a Samsung Lions jersey.

However, it looks like that it does not belong any player.
The player name is "Shin Il Lee".
I can't find his name in the players list of KBO.

In addition, if korean make for OH for Korean name, it should be "Jung-Chi Wang".

A valuable post from someone who has specific knowledge that most of us (including yours truly) don't.

Thank you.

Dave M.
Chicago area

MSpecht
09-02-2009, 08:42 PM
OK-- this is a little off topic, but one of the best collecting stories I have, with Sadaharu Oh as the star. I originally wrote this a few years ago when selling some Oh signed memorabilia.

"These outstanding signatures were obtained from Sadaharu Oh by me in person in July, 1993. Why did Mr. Oh sign this bat so large and in both languages? Here is the story:

In 1979, future Hall of Famer Ozzie Smith, then in his second season with the San Diego Padres, went on a tour of Japan during the off-season. He returned and gave a game-used Japanese bat to his neighbor Pete Albert, whose son, Aaron, was Ozzie's # 1 fan. Ozzie said the bat was supposedly from a famous Japanese player, but he didn't know who. I worked for the Padres and Giants as a sportswriter during that period, and several times during the next couple of years I turned down the bat in numerous trades with Pete Albert. Finally, in 1980 Pete traded the bat to San Diego sports artist Patrick Lyons, who was most recently with Mile High Sports Cards in Colorado.

Patrick offered me the bat several times over the next ten years, as he knew I enjoyed collecting Japanese baseball items since the Padres often hosted a Japanese team during Spring Training. Anyway, I never wanted to meet Patrick's asking price of $90.00 for the bat, and he kept it.

Fast-forward now to 1993 when an event called the World Children's Baseball Fair, which had been founded in 1990 by Hank Aaron and Sadaharu Oh, was scheduled to be held in San Diego (it alternated between Japan and the U.S. every year). Part of the week-long event was a card show on the final Saturday of the event, and it was announced that Sadaharu Oh would be there and sign autographs for an hour. I called Patrick and said, basically, "we have to go...we'll never get a chance at Sadaharu Oh again." He agreed and we got together a number of Japanese pictures and photos that Patrick had and a number of Pro Japanese bats I had collected from Padres Spring trainings many years earlier. Patrick also brought along the Japanese bat he had gotten from Pete Albert / Ozzie Smith 13 years earlier.

Anyway, we are in line at the show and the security around Mr. Oh is very tight (he is the biggest sports star and celebrity in Japan -- think Mickey Mantle and Elvis Presley combined.) Also, the Japanese security people around him are moving people very quickly through the line, and eventually started telling people they must choose between English and Japanese (I guess to save time). Mr. Oh, himself, is signing quickly with his head down, again probably to get as many people through the line as possible.

Patrick is ahead of me and the first thing he hands Sadaharu Oh is the bat from Pete Albert / Ozzie Smith (yes, the one I had turned down many times in trades with Pete Albert, and had turned down many times for $90.00 from Patrick...yes...THAT BAT.) Mr. Oh starts to sign it , then stops and says, in English, "This is my bat !!" he pointed to the knob and said "This is my special order bat I used." He asked where we had gotten the bat, and we explained that Ozzie Smith had gotten it in the late 70's during a Tour of Japan. Mr. Oh's security people were looking anxiously around by that time, as the line was being held up, and someone was actually talking to Mr. Oh (something they themselves were not about to do.) Mr. Oh then got out of his seat, took the bat, and with a big grin assumed his famous one-legged batting stance. He then proceeded to sign everything that both Patrick and I had brought in very precise, LARGE signatures, in both English and Japanese.

Needless to say, Patrick was totally psyched up after that experience, and all I could think of was "I had a chance to get a Sadaharu Oh game used bat for 13 years for next to nothing, and didn't know it." Ultimately I did get the bat from Patrick, but at a price that far exceeded the original $90.00 offer (far, far exceeded in fact.)

Anyway, in addition to the eight or so Japanese professional baseball items I got signed at that time, I also bought a few Mizuno balls and bats they had available there for the promotion, and got them signed too. This bat is one of those that was signed that day, hence the large signatures in both English and Japanese. "

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com (Jackitout7@aol.com)