PDA

View Full Version : Bat used by two players: a question

Stefano61
07-24-2009, 08:35 AM
I've a Carlos Pena Zinger bat with tons of use all over the barrell, probably used also by Dioner Navarro (#30 was writter over #23 on the knob and on top of the barrel).
Usually what happens when a player gives his bat to another guy, he gives a new bat or a bat that has already been used ?
Thanks for your help.

Stefano

metsbats
07-24-2009, 10:57 AM
There's really no rule of thumb and would depend on the players preferences.

I would say if I was the recipient of the bat I would prefer a new one.

If I was the giver of the bat it would depend on if I had a used bat which I felt didn't have any more hit in them for me.

Birdbats
07-24-2009, 11:05 AM
There's no concrete answer to that question. I'd guess that many players give away unused bats and some will give away bats they've used and didn't like. On the flip side, players often take used bats. There are many stories about how some players, primarily pitchers, will take a position player's bat -- and usually break it. You also have situations where players are traded and leave many bats behind, both used and unused. I remember when Tino Martinez left the Cards, he left many bats behind, some used and some not. Bats like these often are recycled -- used by pitchers, rookies, in spring training, etc.

If there's one general rule, I'd guess that few players would give away a bat they really like if it's still usable.

godwulf
07-24-2009, 03:41 PM
On the flip side, players often take used bats. There are many stories about how some players, primarily pitchers, will take a position player's bat -- and usually break it.

This made me think of the HOF Milwaukee shortstop turned coach who inscribed this fungo bat for the second baseman who borrowed and cracked it for him. :D

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8dc31b3127ccec300b33e7c0400000010O02EbsmzVu0ZA9 vPhw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/