PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl Game Used? Yeah Right

NEFAN
07-25-2009, 06:07 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Matt-Birk-Vikings-2001-PRO-BOWL-Game-Used-Jersey-RARE_W0QQitemZ250471563755QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3a5144c1eb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C29 4%3A50

I asked this guy if he had proof this was worn in the Pro Bowl and this was his response,

"Hello,

It is definately not a pro-cut jersey. Those are usually made in Korea or China. The NFL contracts all there game jerseys to a manufacturer in Berlin Wisconsin or Rippon Wisconsin. Thats all 32 teams and the Pro Bowl rosters. These jerseys are not what you see out at stores. They are exclusively for teams to use in games. The quality is head and shoulders above any jersey you can go out and buy at sports stores. Just the length alone will prove it is the real deal. Birk only had one jersey for the Pro Bowl. The one we have is the one he wore."

They just keep coming out of the woodwork.

spartakid
07-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Well it appears your question warranted a defensive addition to his listing on the bottom that was added today. Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's not legit? I know nothing about NFL jerseys.....

both-teams-played-hard
07-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Well it appears your question warranted a defensive addition to his listing on the bottom that was added today. Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's not legit? I know nothing about NFL jerseys.....
Yes. Please answer this question. I would like to know, also.

Jags Fan Dan
07-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Could be a back up jersey, if not game worn. It has been my experience that back in 2001, there weren't the "pro-cut" +4 inch lb knock off pro bowl jerseys around like there are now. It has also been my experience that nearly all of the players that I have heard comment on their jerseys say they kept their Pro Bowl gamers.

NEFAN
07-25-2009, 09:32 PM
That addition to the auction description was there before I contacted him. All I did was ask him if he had any proof that the jersey was worn. I just didn't buy his answer. I was fooled in to buying a "Game Issued" pro bowl jersey a couple years ago, paid $400 for it. Then I learned about "Pro Cut" jerseys. If Matt Birk had only one jersey made for him, I highly doubt he would have given it up.

scottanservitz
07-25-2009, 10:28 PM
I don't know if this is legit or not. What I do know is that jersey shows no wear from the pics posted on the auction. The patches, tags, numbers show no scuffing, markings or any other signs of usage. I know it is a Pro Bowl and it is only one game. Even if Birk played one series the jersey would show something. A baseball jersey could find its way into a game and show little to no use. But an NFL linemen's jersey, don't think so. Just my 2 cents.....

Scott

Jags Fan Dan
07-26-2009, 08:15 AM
That addition to the auction description was there before I contacted him. All I did was ask him if he had any proof that the jersey was worn. I just didn't buy his answer. I was fooled in to buying a "Game Issued" pro bowl jersey a couple years ago, paid $400 for it. Then I learned about "Pro Cut" jerseys. If Matt Birk had only one jersey made for him, I highly doubt he would have given it up.
Who is claiming he only had one jersey made up for him? I would think there would be at least two.

UGA-1
07-26-2009, 10:08 AM
My guess is the jersey is an "alternate". I don't have proof but have always had the understanding that special events players are issued at minimum 2 jerseys. FYI: College teams that make it to Bowl games also have more than one jersey prepared with the bowl game patches for each player. Usually a "gamer" and an "alternate". Some one please correct me if I am wrong.

NEFAN
07-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Here is the latest response from the seller.

I understand what your saying about these other jerseys. They may be game issued also or excellant representations. The difference is I know the source of my jersey and I know it was actually GAME WORN and not simply "issued". I have a friend who is employed by the Packers who gets me game worn items consistantly. He has been doing so for the past 15 years. This includes jerseys, helmets, casts, cleats, gloves, hats and many more items. If you look at my auctions you will see a pattern of Packers items that came from the team as well as some game items from other teams. I certainly dont need to misrepresent a Matt Birk jersey. He got this directly from Birk. I stand behind its usage 100%. If you dont feel comfortable with my explanation then simply dont bid.