PDA

View Full Version : The National in July

fixter
05-21-2006, 11:27 AM
I am considering making the trip out from Tx to Ca to go to the National Show in July. I am not a huge collector and most of what I do collect centers around the Bell family. I am wondering if anyone can share with me an opinion of whether or not a show might be worth it when I am looking for game used Bell family items and photos. Thanks!

Chris
cfix@sbcglobal.net

icollectDCsports
05-21-2006, 04:53 PM
I'll take a shot at your question.

In my opinion, it depends very much upon how extensive your collection already is. If you have most of the commonly available cards and other mass produced items relating to the Bells, it's not likely you'll find many things in your collecting niche. However, you may find a few things that you perhaps didn't even know existed. If you're looking for photos and other oddball items, you'll need to spend a lot of time going through boxes and binders at the show. It can be time consuming and frustrating when you have such a narrow niche of collecting. For the most part, you'd do just as well by meticulously searching eBay.

Sure, there's always the chance that a dealer may have a game used jersey or hat of one of the Bells. It's a total crap shoot.

Because of that, my advice is to go to the National IF you think you'll enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the overall fun of just seeing such a huge variety of unusual baseball (and other sports) memorabilia. If you'll be tremendously disappointed if you don't find a game used Bell item or some other very special Bell item, then save your cash and concentrate on eBay and the plethora of auctions that you can see online without any travel expenses.

For the most part, I think it's fun for collectors to attend at least one National. Which one you attend may depend on which one is cheapest for you to get to.

stlbats
05-21-2006, 08:07 PM
I went to the National in Chicago in 2002 I think it was, It was about a 6 hour drive. The show did have a decent amount of dealers with game used stuff. I will say that the show was so big you couldnt see all the dealer tables in one day. I would love to go again, but I personally probably wouldnt travel extensively to go, unless there was an autograph guest there I really wanted and was tough to find at shows.

Jason

trsent
05-21-2006, 09:49 PM
I stopped attending card shows back around 1999 when I found every dealer and customer would quote to me what any given item was selling for on eBay the whole weekend.

I may attend SportsFest in Chicago this summer, but the days of me spending $3000.00 - $5000.00 to set up at major trade shows is over for me.

fixter
05-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. I already scour ebay and google at least daily looking for items. The items that I didnt no existed and the chance that there are items out there that may never make it to ebay is what intregues me. I have almost no interest in cards, so it wouldnt be worth it to me to go for 5 game used dealers out of 750 booths, but it would be for me to see 50 dealers. Anyone who has been have a guess at the number of GU dealers they saw?

trsent
05-22-2006, 11:02 AM
There will be plenty of game used dealers, but don't expect them to be giving anything away.

fixter
05-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Lol. Boy those folks and their ebay prices really left a mark....
Seriously I have no problem paying a dealer a reasonable price, he took the time and incurred the expense to go and set up, and I can actually see what I am looking at in person- it shouldnt be measured by ebay. However there is something to be said about how ebay helps set the FMV of items and if I find an item which is 3 times more than the going rate for it on ebay I have the option to pass. I do not feel it is right to beat up the dealer on his prices, I always hate when people do that to me. Besides the point of my going is to findthings that are not on ebay!

stlbats
05-22-2006, 06:13 PM
When I went the number of GU dealers was closer to 5 than 50. I would say 10 or less.

Thanks
Jason

earlywynnfan
05-22-2006, 07:07 PM
I'd have to agree with the last post. For what you seem to be looking for, good luck. There aren't that many GU dealers out there, most you've already seen over the internet (taube, ASI, etc.) I go to the National if there is that one specific auto guest or just to browse at stuff. There is a ton of interesting material out there to look at. Do I want it? No, but it's cool to spend time looking at it. I rarely buy for the same reason trsent doesn't set up: I can get most of the stuff cheaper on ebay.