PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here: Brewers Team-Issued Uniform Question

jnorman76
07-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Hi guys ... first post here, so be gentle. Yesterday, I ran the Brewers Charities 5K here in Milwaukee and they unloaded a bunch of jerseys from the 2008 season. I was really the first person on the scene, so I pretty much got my pick of the jerseys.

Anyway, the first two items I picked up two 2008 Brewers home retro jerseys of Ben Sheets and Ted Simmons. Both jerseys have MLB authentication and tags that match other jerseys I've seen from the team in the team store.

The third item is a Rob Deer Brewers Fantasy Camp game-worn (what I believe to be) jersey. Not MLB authenticated. The fourth item is an Eric Gagne BP hat, also MLB authenticated.

Any idea what I've got here? Are these legit? I am on our local Brewers message board and I've already got people all over me about buying them, but I'm not sure I even want to sell them. Can anyone help?

Thanks! Jonathan (jnorman76)

mattmueller
07-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Jonathan:

Welcome to the forum.

I would agree that the neck tagging would appear to be correct for a game used jersey on the Sheets/Simmons. Have you looked up the hologram numbers on the mlb.com auctions page to see if they were entered as game used? If not, there is really no way of knowing the true status of the jerseys' use. Well, I guess you could try to photo match the Sheets jersey to any of his home Friday starts from last year, but that is a bit of work.

I would agree the Deer jersey is probably either a spring training or fantasy camp issued/worn BP jersey. A friend of mine went to fantasy camp this last year and Deer was one of his coaches, so Deer was there.

With the hat, the only way to know for sure what you have is with the holgoram number. Hats are nearly impossible to figure out as you can buy one that is the same as the players use from the concession stand.

Bottom line, looks like you probably got a pretty good haul, assuming you were able to get them at good prices.

Matt