PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations For Chicago?

spartakid
07-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Can anyone recommend any sports attractions or things to do in Chicago? Going later this week and I thought some of you that live there may have local/inside info on places to go and see. Also, since we have to get the true experience, any restaurants that are popular.... Definitely going to Gino's East, but other than that... thanks, Ricardo

mskwarek
07-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Can anyone recommend any sports attractions or things to do in Chicago? Going later this week and I thought some of you that live there may have local/inside info on places to go and see. Also, since we have to get the true experience, any restaurants that are popular.... Definitely going to Gino's East, but other than that... thanks, Ricardo

The Cubs are in town through Thursday, and on Friday they still have tickets available for Wrigley Field tours throughout the day.

As for Chicago, there are endless numbers of attractions to see in the city: Navy Pier, Michigan Avenue, Lake Shore Drive, etc....

Hope you have fun during your trip.

Regards,
Mike

spartakid
07-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Ok, I was planning on going and taking the tour of Wrigley ( Cubs weren't in town when I had free time) and going to a Sox game as well.

bucephalus
07-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Harry Carray's Restaurant. 33 West Kinzie Street A must stop for Cubs fans.

boardburn
07-27-2009, 02:26 AM
1. Giordano's for a stuffed pizza http://www.giordanos.com/
2. Black Hawks store on Michigan Ave for overpriced game used/worn hockey gear
3. Lie/cheat/beg yourself free from your other obligations and go to Wrigley for a game
4. Ribs at Twin Acres http://www.twinanchorsribs.com/
5. Off topic a bit, but the Museum of Science and Industry to see U-505 (if that sort of stuff appeals to you). The Chicago Institute of Art (on Michican Ave) is chock-full of fantastic pieces.

If you are getting a car, no big deal. If not, go to the CTA website for a transportation pass. It will more than pay for itself if you are traveling around the city a lot.... http://faremedia.chicago-card.com/store/main.aspx?DepartmentId=34

It's a great town to visit.... You won't be disappointed.

Tom

spartakid
07-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks so much for the replies and e-mails, can't wait to check out all that Chicago has to offer. thanks, Ricardo

boardburn
07-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Meh... I must have been tired.

It is "Twin Anchors", not "Twin Acres".

Tom

sox83cubs84
07-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Some tips about the Cell (U.S. Cellular Field) when you go:

1) Park opens around 5:30 for a 7:11 night game (Sox are occasionally a few minutes late in opening the park). You might see the last 5 minutes or so of Sox BP, but should get the full monty in regards to the visitors BP.

2) Autograph collectors at the Cell are usually helpful and cooperative...they don't have the obnoxious and self-important attitude that most of the signature seekers at Wrigley Field do. Unlike the Unfriendly Confines on the north side, you can approach the field for autographs anywhere except behind home plate or behind the dugouts (safety reasons).

3) You have to buy a 100-level (main level) ticket to have access to the field level of the park. If you by an upper deck ducat, you will not be let into the lower seating area (they have ushers checking tickets for this at all areas).

4) Foul line walls are low...good for snagging foul balls, and competition is mainly other fans, as most of the Wrigley ballhawks avoid the Cell because they don't want to pay the price for a lower level ticket. The occasional one that does will usually play home runs in the outfield.

5) An auction of one or two game used and/or autographed equipment items for charity is held each game behind home plate in the lower level (silent auction). The team also has a Sox Split raffle, whatever the funds taken in for the day/night for the raffle are, a selected winner gets half, and White Sox Charities gets the other half.

6) Don't wear any Cubs garb...Sox fans (not all, but many) are borderline psychotic in their hatred of all things Cubs, and the abuse you take will not be worth it.

7) Another shagging tip...if you get in when the gates open, play the right field corner...the visiting pitchers play long toss in that area, and strays and overthrows sometimes make it to the wall or in the stands.

8) If you're ticketed in the lower level, sneaking down to better seats often works, as the usher staff is mainly teens and 20-somethings, most of whom spend as much time socializing with each other as they do seating fans and checking tickets.

I hope the Sox game proves fruitful for you. What day/night are you attending? If it isn't during the Yankees series, I may be out there. PLMK.

Dave M.
Chicago area

spartakid
07-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks Dave- Not sure what game we'll go to yet, don't really want to be on much of a schedule. Thanks for the great tips, I'll try to get there early and go down to the right field line to check out BP. Ricardo