PDA

View Full Version : O/T: Vick is in, Rose maybe - This is a Bad Day

cordovacollector
07-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Ugh. Vick has been reinstated. Can play in 2 preseason games and participate in all activities but cannot play until October.

Selig considering letting Pete Rose back in, who has been a model of bad behavior of how NOT to get back in.

What a lousy day. I'm gonna go back to bed and cover my head with a blanket in case the sky starts falling.

cordovacollector
07-27-2009, 02:44 PM
By the way, the Vick reinstatement news was on FOX news around 2:30-40 pm CST.

chakes89
07-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Yes!

sylbry
07-27-2009, 02:52 PM
About time for Vick. I am no Vick fan but he has served his time. What more do people want from him, his head? Plus IMO the government made an example of him. There are people who commit far worse crimes that get less time than Vick did. And that doesn't take into consideration all that he lost (money, personal possessions, dignity, ect...)

I think you could say the same thing about Pete Rose and baseball. He served his time. There is no denying that his accomplishments warrant his induction.

BULBUS
07-27-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm a dog lover and never was much of a Vick fan (think he was over rated), but he did serve his time and he does deserve a second chance.

Rose should be in the Hall of Fame.

frikativ54
07-27-2009, 05:11 PM
About time for Vick. I am no Vick fan but he has served his time. What more do people want from him, his head? Plus IMO the government made an example of him. There are people who commit far worse crimes that get less time than Vick did.

I find it troubling that people think that there are much worse crimes than what Michael Vick did. The only fair punishment would have been to ban him from football for lifetime. By allowing someone as criminal as Vick, who drowned and electrocuted innocent dogs, back into the NFL, it is a public relations nightmare. The NFL would do a lot to improve its image if it would take the moral high ground on people like Vick and Pacman Jones, who are a blight upon the reputation of the sport.

jhunt28
07-27-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm almost troubled that you haven't mentioned Dante Stallworth. Is it ok for him to only spend 24 days, of a 30 day sentence in jail for killing another HUMAN BEING!!!?? And I'm not sure there is proof that Vick himself did any drowning, torturing, etc. I know he was instrumental in the financial backing of the dog fighting, and was present for the fights, but not sure that he actually killed dogs himself? If there is evidence, I didn't hear of it. Although what Vick was participated in was horrible, he has served his time.

cordovacollector
07-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Well, perhaps no team will hire him. Sure gonna be a distraction.

both-teams-played-hard
07-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Before Vick was associated with dogfighting, he was called the most overrated player in the NFL.
Vick can't kick, punt or pass. As a quarterback he is marginal at best. I do not think he will ever play in the NFL, again. Not even Al Davis would take a chance on a 4th sting QB, or 3rd string RB.
NFL players are like shark's teeth. When one falls out, there is a whole row, just as good, waiting to be used.

DoctorLoomis
07-27-2009, 07:27 PM
He deserves the same mercy those innocent dogs were given when they were shot, hanged, drowned and electrocuted. If I had any say in his punishment, he would rot in prison.

AWA85
07-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Reds fans can rejoice the Rose talk! I would put him in the hall as a player, and just not allow him to ever manage again.

Capital-Sports
07-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Rose deserves to be in the hall.

Vick playing in the NFL again....well that's another story.

NYCrulesU
07-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Reds fans can rejoice the Rose talk! I would put him in the hall as a player, and just not allow him to ever manage again.

I would agree with this. He should be in as a player, but never allowed to manage again.

fabes23
07-27-2009, 10:29 PM
I couldn't agree more with JHunt and the Stallworth comment! This guy smokes some weed, drinks, drives and kills a human, and gets 30 days. Un-freakin'-believable!

frikativ54
07-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I couldn't agree more with JHunt and the Stallworth comment! This guy smokes some weed, drinks, drives and kills a human, and gets 30 days. Un-freakin'-believable!

The difference is in the intent. Drunk drivers don't intend to kill anyone; they are making a stupid decision. Michael Vick is a cold-blooded dog killer. Correspond with a few prisoners; there is a huge difference between a person who intentionally murders vs. a person who drives drunk and incidentally kills. A good percentage of killers are monsters; drunk drivers are negligent.

tacprc
07-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Rose is the greatest! Put him in the Hall.

LastingsMilledge85
07-28-2009, 01:21 AM
If Vick wants to rise to stardom, he will join the USFL.

bucephalus
07-28-2009, 02:08 AM
I seriously doubt many of those old timers were choir-boys off the field. Nobody was in a fishbowl back then, and human-nature being what it is, the temptations would have been too overwhelming. And they were further insulated by the press if treated well by the player. So, if you omitted stars based on moral ethics as you would today, you'd have (conservatively) maybe 75% left in the Hall? I mean, c'mon. These were grown men with appetites who traveled from city to city without a moral compass.

both-teams-played-hard
07-28-2009, 03:00 AM
These were grown men with appetites who traveled from city to city without a moral compass.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2248/bigboybaseball.jpg

Capital-Sports
07-28-2009, 03:39 AM
I seriously doubt many of those old timers were choir-boys off the field. Nobody was in a fishbowl back then, and human-nature being what it is, the temptations would have been too overwhelming. And they were further insulated by the press if treated well by the player. So, if you omitted stars based on moral ethics as you would today, you'd have (conservatively) maybe 75% left in the Hall? I mean, c'mon. These were grown men with appetites who traveled from city to city without a moral compass.

Very true. The media plays a HUGE role in society today.
Imagine if Ty Cobb did the things he did back then today :eek:

Rose deserves to be in the HOF...hands down. thats it. no coaching, assisting....just reinstated for the HOF.

Stallworth......think about M.A.D.D. and then you'll know where I stand.

Vick....think about your own dog and you'll know where I stand.

sylbry
07-28-2009, 07:59 AM
I find it troubling that people think that there are much worse crimes than what Michael Vick did. The only fair punishment would have been to ban him from football for lifetime. By allowing someone as criminal as Vick, who drowned and electrocuted innocent dogs, back into the NFL, it is a public relations nightmare. The NFL would do a lot to improve its image if it would take the moral high ground on people like Vick and Pacman Jones, who are a blight upon the reputation of the sport.

I find it troubling that people won't give another person a second chance after they served their time for the crime. The NFL isn't giving him a job, rather they are not preventing him from seeking a job. Big difference. As Helen mentioned, maybe no team will give him an offer.

sylbry
07-28-2009, 08:00 AM
He deserves the same mercy those innocent dogs were given when they were shot, hanged, drowned and electrocuted. If I had any say in his punishment, he would rot in prison.

I say the same thing about doctors who perform partial birth abortion and that is legal. But that is a topic not meant for this board.

LastingsMilledge85
07-28-2009, 09:27 AM
If Vick wants to rise to stardom, he will join the USFL.

Meant UFL

cohibasmoker
07-28-2009, 09:35 AM
There is a difference between the crimes that Rose and Vick committed. One issue they both shared was "intent" and as such, they knew what they were doing.

Rose - mala prohibita
Vick - mala en se

Jim

ChrisWinsalways
07-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Michael Vick served more than enough time for Gambling.He was never convicted of anything to do with dogs or fighting.Its time to give him another chance with either the UFL or NFL.

cohibasmoker
07-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Michael Vick served more than enough time for Gambling.He was never convicted of anything to do with dogs or fighting.Its time to give him another chance with either the UFL or NFL.

Michael Vick plead guilty to a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge. He later plead guilty to State charges.

Here are some links to the Federal Charges;

http://news.findlaw.com/cnn/docs/sports/usvick71707ind.html

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/08/27/michael.vick/index.html

Here is a link to the State Charges;

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2008/11/vick-pleads-guilty-to-state-charge.html

Jim