PDA

View Full Version : GU Jays Minor League Player Unis - Need Help Identifying Player (kingjammy?)

cjw
07-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Picked up two uniforms sets (only one cap and one belt) on the Bay a few months ago and haven't got around to researching them until now.

Can't find an "Abrams" in the Jays minor league system and would love to ask for some help pinpointing the player and the exact Jays minor league club, if possible. Kingjammy are you out there?

One set includes the dark blue alt jersey that the big club sported from 1994-1996, I believe? The other set in comes from the next jersey style era, that began in 1997...right? The older set (jersey and pants) are made by Majestic and the other set sports a jersey by AIS and a pair of Wilson pants. The Wilson pair have "SIEVERT" written in the waistband.

Mark Sievert played from 1993 -1998 in the Toronto system with stops at "Jays" clubs in Medicine Hat ('93) and St. Catherines ('94) with stops up the ladder in Hagerstown...the Suns right? in ('95)and for the Knoxville Smokies in ('96) and in Dundedin in '97...finally ending up a Syracuse SkyChiefs in '98. The Hagerstown and Knoxvilles didn't have Jays logos/word marks on their uniforms did they?

Best guess - the older set is Mark's from St. Catherines in '94 and then passed to "Abrams" and the newer set is also from St. Catherines, but from 1997. Is that possible?

Help is appreciated. Thanks!

cjw
08-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Kingjammy? Jans fans?

kingjammy24
10-10-2009, 11:09 AM
i don't know if the timeframes for jersey styles for the toronto blue jays exactly matched their minor league affiliates. it is entirely possible that the minor league teams wore specific styles years after the parent club retired them.

that said:

1996 & 1997
------------
AAA - Syracuse Chiefs
AA - Knoxville Smokies
Adv A - Dunedin Blue Jays
A - Hagerstown Suns
SS A - St. Catherines Stompers
Rookie - Medicine Hat Blue Jays

The Smokies and the Suns did not have "BLUE JAYS" script on their uniforms.

During that time frame, Majestic did not make game shirts for the Toronto Blue Jays nor did AIS indicating that they were made specifically for some minor league team.
I cannot locate any Abrams player for the Jays minor league system during the approximate timeframe. If I had to guess I'd say it was a minor league coach. Given that the numbers are sewn and not heat-pressed I'd say there's a greater likelihood of the shirts being from the Dunedin Blue Jays than the Medicine Hat Blue Jays. Of course, there are also the possibilities of them being from some sort of instructional league or even fantasy camp.

As far as things being passed around, anything is possible; it's the minor leagues. I'm sure every jersey ends up being worn by several players.

rudy.

sox83cubs84
10-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Chris and Rudy:

This "Abrams" guy apparently gets around a bit...there is (or recently was) a Cubs BP jersey with NOB of the 1994-96 style with a 60-something number. The back side fonts and NOB indicate definite minor league origins, either spring camp or a regular season coach. It was made by the MLB Cubs BP jersey supplier of the era (Majestic), who also made minor league spring camp BPs, which had NOBs, unlike the MLB versions of that style.

Dave M.
Chicago area

cjw
10-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks Dave and Rudy! chris