PDA

View Full Version : Pujols Marucci

b.heagy
07-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Game used Albert Pujols Marucci bat. What do I look for in a genuine Pujols gamer. Any input or photos anyone can share would be appreciated.

rj_lucas
07-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Usage characteristics for Albert have remained very consistent from the beginning of his career. Best source of information (including photos) is Jeff Scott's guide:

http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats/Birdbats/Notes%20and%20Articles/Pujols%20bat%20buyers%20guide.htm

This same information can be found on the Pujols Family Foundation website.

The information is a bit outdated in that Albert's preferred make is obviously Marucci these days. But the usage characteristics themselves have not changed e.g. location and amount of pine tar, location and nature of the hit marks, etc.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

rj_lucas
07-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Couple of photos from my '01 gamer. As evidenced, light pine tar extending into the lower portion of the logo and hit marks (including deep seam marks) grouped on the 'top' portion of the barrel.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

b.heagy
07-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the link and the photos Rick ! Great information. Thanks to Jeff for posting such valuable information on his site. Gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope the one I am being offered is a good one. That is a killer bat Rick, you must be proud. Would love to see more if anyone else wants to share.

bigtruck260
07-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the link and the photos Rick ! Great information. Thanks to Jeff for posting such valuable information on his site. Gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope the one I am being offered is a good one. That is a killer bat Rick, you must be proud. Would love to see more if anyone else wants to share.

Actually, Albert is using a TON more pine tar these days...just check Getty from last year and this year...same bat, much more tar...

D

Birdbats
07-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Dave is correct -- Albert is using much more tar on the upper handle this season. However, the area where he grips the bat remains pretty clean. You'll see less tar in 2008, even less in 2007 on Marucci. On a Pujols, you want to see ball marks (seam impressions and ink transfer) on the right-hand hitter's side, fairly concentrated.

rj_lucas
07-30-2009, 05:29 PM
More tar, or perhaps not as evenly applied. But certainly not a cake job. Here's a legit '09 gamer from the recent Hunt auction, for comparison.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Birdbats
07-30-2009, 05:34 PM
That bat in the Hunt auction has good tar, which is interesting because there's nary a ball mark on the barrel. I took it out of the case before the auction and examined it -- I saw one smudge that might have been a ball mark. Can't believe what it sold for.

rj_lucas
07-30-2009, 05:52 PM
That bat in the Hunt auction has good tar, which is interesting because there's nary a ball mark on the barrel. I took it out of the case before the auction and examined it -- I saw one smudge that might have been a ball mark. Can't believe what it sold for.

Yeah, it makes me wonder if we're at a stage in Albert's career where we'll start to see a greater quantity of items come into the market, but displaying less use, i.e. used for the purpose of creating a game-used item for sale (similar to A-Rod).

We've seen a spike in the bogus stuff, no doubt about that.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

b.heagy
07-30-2009, 07:42 PM
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the responses. Jeff - I sent you an email. Thanks again !