Mark Teiria bat flys into the stands BUT fan gets a Game Issued!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suave1477
    Banned
    • Jan 2006

Mark Teiria bat flys into the stands BUT fan gets a Game Issued!!!

Tex takes a huge swing and by accident lets go of the bat. It flys over the dug out into the stands and an older gentleman got it. Security ran over to the fan and took the bat back and gave it to Tex. Tex inturn gave security a Game Issued bat to give to the fan.

Just in case anyone wanted to know.
  • yanks12025
    • Jan 2006

Re: Mark Teiria bat flys into the stands BUT fan gets a Game Issued!!!

I seen that, i would have been pissed and not given up the bat.

Comment

• yanks12025
      • Jan 2006

The bat was a Adirondack model. Does anyone know if they seen Texiera use one in a game this year.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
        Banned
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by yanks12025
        I seen that, i would have been pissed and not given up the bat.
        The procedure, as suave described it, is pretty much the standard in baseball, as the bat that flew into the stands is prepared for game use by the player...the game-issued one is still pristine. As a game-used collector, I can understand your sense of disdain for this, but, in a lot of parks, if security got involved, you probably wouldn't have a choice.

Dave M.
        Chicago area

Comment

• mfsquirrelmaster
          • Jan 2007

I do see a difference between this type of situation and a homerun ball. As Dave said the bat that went into the stands was prepared for game use and the one they gave to the guy was pristine. How many bats does each player prepare for a game. There is also a chance that they crack a bat or two so I can see why Tex would want the bat back if it was still usable.

Comment

• UGA-1
            • Jan 2009

Yeah, I agree. A ball is different than a bat. I know if I was at work and dropped my screwdriver, I would want it back if the guy in row 6 picked it up. I think the fact that the fan was given anything in trade was fair enough. I would be slightly dissapointed giving it up, but would completely understand.
            Always looking for Georgia Bulldogs game used.
            email: jgiles2448@yahoo.com

Comment

• suave1477
              Banned
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by yanks12025
              The bat was a Adirondack model. Does anyone know if they seen Texiera use one in a game this year.

He was using those in the begining of the season with the Yankees.

Comment

• suave1477
                Banned
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
                The procedure, as suave described it, is pretty much the standard in baseball, as the bat that flew into the stands is prepared for game use by the player...the game-issued one is still pristine. As a game-used collector, I can understand your sense of disdain for this, but, in a lot of parks, if security got involved, you probably wouldn't have a choice.

Dave M.
                Chicago area
                Oh yeah?? Watch me!!! Im running lmaooo

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                  • Dec 2008

suave......I'm with you on this one.

I know the players coddle and baby their gamers, do all kinds of personal modifications like rubbing them down, placing the proper amount of pine tar, etc., bas as I fan, I'm just telling you the way it is.....

If that bat comes flying into the seats directly from the players hands, I'm instanting turning into Charleton Heston:

"From my cold, dead hands....." is the only way their taking that bat from me! Once it leaves the field, it is no longer their property. I know it would be the decent thing to do (give it back), but quite frankly, screw that noise. These players, especially Mark Tex, are making indecent amounts of money playing this game. WE PAY FOR IT, buying tickets to attend games while supporting them.

I don't care if the big baby breaks down and cries in the batter's box while kicking and stomping his feet......if that bat comes in my direction....it's mine. He can go prepare another bat for himself...

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                    • Dec 2008

UG....the typos......sorry

last post...."bas" = but
                    ................"instanting" = instantly

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2009

[quote=suicide_squeeze;154854]suave......I'm with you on this one.

I know the players coddle and baby their gamers, do all kinds of personal modifications like rubbing them down, placing the proper amount of pine tar, etc., bas as I fan, I'm just telling you the way it is.....

If that bat comes flying into the seats directly from the players hands, I'm instanting turning into Charleton Heston:

"From my cold, dead hands....." is the only way their taking that bat from me! Once it leaves the field, it is no longer their property. I know it would be the decent thing to do (give it back), but quite frankly, screw that noise. These players, especially Mark Tex, are making indecent amounts of money playing this game. WE PAY FOR IT, buying tickets to attend games while supporting them.

Guys:
                      I'd love to be able to keep the used bat as well...I'm just saying that in some (maybe many) stadiums, security isn't going to give fans an option or the chance to make tracks with it. Although this is a home run ball story, it shows how aggressive stadium security can be. I was at the game where former White Sox SS Scott Fletcher hit his first MLB homer. I was dating a girl at the time who was a big Fletcher fan, so I dashed halfway around old Comiskey to offer the guy who got it a $50 bill for it to give to her as a gift. I found the guy, but the ball he had was a brand new one, not the HR itself. The guy told me that Sox security demanded the ball back, and gave him the new one in its place. It's easy to SAY you'll take off or battle for the item, but reality may just not allow you to be successful.

Dave M.
                      Chicago area

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                        • Dec 2008

I hear ya, Dave......But once it flys into the seats......

"From my cold, dead hands".

On a more serious note, it is my understanding they have no legal basis to "demand" anything back once it leaves the field and goes into the seats.

The only reason people oblige security in a case like that is because they are caught off guard, and don't know any better.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by suicide_squeeze
                          I hear ya, Dave......But once it flys into the seats......

"From my cold, dead hands".

On a more serious note, it is my understanding they have no legal basis to "demand" anything back once it leaves the field and goes into the seats.

The only reason people oblige security in a case like that is because they are caught off guard, and don't know any better.
                          You're right on that last sentence...most of the guys on Waveland have been approached for key home run balls, and have held their ground.

BTW...excellent emoticon. Charlton Heston would be proud.

Dave M.
                          Chicago area

Comment

• David
                            • Sep 2024

A lawyer told me fans have a right to stuff that flies into the stands.

Comment

• BergerKing22784
                              • Jul 2007

Is that really true? How come at basketball games if ball goes into crowd they have to give it back? Same with footballs kicked in pregame?

Comment

Working...