PDA

View Full Version : authenticating autographs

cjclong
05-22-2006, 01:46 PM
I recently purchased a ball on ebay that is supposed to have been signed by members of the 1961 Yankees in 1961. The seller made clear that he was relying on information he had recieved and was not certifying the authenticity of the signatures. I have made a practice of not purchasing autographed itmes because of how many are forged. In this case the ball was only about $200.00 and its either a great find or nothing so I was willing to take the gamble simce I've wanted a '61 team ball for years and never found a proper one I could afford. I would like to ask the members of this forum it they have anyone they would suggest I could send this ball to look at to see if the signatures are authentic or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

trsent
05-22-2006, 02:13 PM
I recently purchased a ball on ebay that is supposed to have been signed by members of the 1961 Yankees in 1961. The seller made clear that he was relying on information he had recieved and was not certifying the authenticity of the signatures. I have made a practice of not purchasing autographed itmes because of how many are forged. In this case the ball was only about $200.00 and its either a great find or nothing so I was willing to take the gamble simce I've wanted a '61 team ball for years and never found a proper one I could afford. I would like to ask the members of this forum it they have anyone they would suggest I could send this ball to look at to see if the signatures are authentic or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would send it to PSA/DNA for authentication. They will charge you, but if they like the signatures, you'll get a LOA and sticker that will make the item easier to resell.

skipcareyisfat
05-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Try Jimmy Spence at JSA. His reputation is second to none. If the ball passes with his certification, the cost of having it authenticated will be well worth it. He's also an expert on Yanks material from that era. Lastly, unlike PSA/DNA - and I could be wrong on both counts here, but I'd call both to make sure, I'm pretty sure Spence will not apply any stickers to your ball, which is a plus if you ask me. Good luck man.

suave1477
05-22-2006, 03:39 PM
PSA/DNA and Spence are both good I am decent with these years of yankees autographs can you post a picture here of the ball or can you at least tell me who signed the sweet spot?

trsent
05-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Try Jimmy Spence at JSA. His reputation is second to none. If the ball passes with his certification, the cost of having it authenticated will be well worth it. He's also an expert on Yanks material from that era. Lastly, unlike PSA/DNA - and I could be wrong on both counts here, but I'd call both to make sure, I'm pretty sure Spence will not apply any stickers to your ball, which is a plus if you ask me. Good luck man.

It is a plus if you can change the item with a similar looking item.

If it helps the value, please put a sticker on my item.

skipcareyisfat
05-22-2006, 04:09 PM
It is a plus if you can change the item with a similar looking item.

If it helps the value, please put a sticker on my item.

Understood. But if you have a '27 Yanks ball covered with sigs, why ruin it with a piece of plastic? Furthermore, you'd think someone could come up with something less intrusive. Right now, the stickers look more like advertisements. Then again, I think the Beach Boys were way better than the Beatles. So what do I know?

trsent
05-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Understood. But if you have a '27 Yanks ball covered with sigs, why ruin it with a piece of plastic? Furthermore, you'd think someone could come up with something less intrusive. Right now, the stickers look more like advertisements. Then again, I think the Beach Boys were way better than the Beatles. So what do I know?

I went to the Paul Simon concert in Las Vegas about seven years ago. What a drag, I left in the 2nd encore as I could barley stay awake.

Brian Wilson opened and stole the show. He looked like he was having fun on stage.