Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dewey2007
    • Dec 2007

OT: Memorable Sitcom Sports Episodes

Just got done watching a classic Seinfeld episode with Keith Hernandez and it has to be one of the greatest sitcom episodes with a sports personality in it.

I also saw the episode recently where Kramer went to the Yankees fantasy camp and he came home early because he punched his hero Mickey Mantle. That one was hilarious too.

What are some other memorable sitcoms starring sports personalities that you remember?
    sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com
  • CampWest
    • May 2008

Re: OT: Memorable Sitcom Sports Episodes

The second spitter episode? One of the funniest TV episodes I've ever seen.

Also had the Danny Tartabull episode.

And there was the episode that George used a subconcious knowledge of physics to become one of the greatest hitters anyone had ever seen. I think he swore off women or something and everything suddenly crystalized for him.

For a little collectors twist, the episode where Kramer sold Steinbrenner's birthday card signed by the entire yankees organization. Paul O'Neil was in that one... had to promise the sick kid he'd hit him two homeruns.

Originally posted by Dewey2007
    Just got done watching a classic Seinfeld episode with Keith Hernandez and it has to be one of the greatest sitcom episodes with a sports personality in it.

I also saw the episode recently where Kramer went to the Yankees fantasy camp and he came home early because he punched his hero Mickey Mantle. That one was hilarious too.

What are some other memorable sitcoms starring sports personalities that you remember?
    sigpic
    Wes Campbell

Comment

• Dewey2007
      • Dec 2007

Yep, the second spitter episode. It had a Roger McDowell cameo as the spitter up behind the bushes.

Seinfeld had so many good episdoes because they incorportated George's job with the Yankees. I like the episode where he talked the team into wearing wool uniforms.

I remember the Brady Bunch had a few episodes with big sports stars of the day. Wes Parker and Joe Namath come to mind and I think there were a couple of others who had cameos.

Comment

• earlywynnfan
        • Oct 2005

How about when Homer was the Isotopes baseball mascot on the Simpsons? I think that's the episode where he heckled Darryl Strawberry and DS started to cry.

Ken
        earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Comment

• TNTtoys
          • Aug 2006

It might not necessarily be a sitcom, but what comes to mind is a Saturday Night Live sketch in the late '90s that featured Todd Hundley, Scott Rolen, Mark Wohlers, Gregg Jefferies, Mark Grudzielanek, Todd Zeile and several others...there must have been about 20-25stars of that era in the sketch.

OK, and to redeem myself for going slightly off topic... Another Seinfeld episode features Kramer spotting Joe DiMaggio in "Dinky Donuts"... and he dunked!
          Looking for ...
          Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
          Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
          Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• Dewey2007
            • Dec 2007

Another good one to check out if you get old Twilight Zone reruns is an epsiode called the "The Mighty Casey". It's about a fictitious, second division team called the Hoboken Zehphyrs. It has great character actor Jack Warden cast as the teams manager. Here is more info:

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
              • Nov 2005

Reggie Jackson on "The Jeffersons". Great for all you ballhawks and game used ball collectors. Here is a synopsis:

239- The Unnatural
              When George is ridiculed for bobbling a historic home-run ball in the Yankee Stadium bleachers, Louise sneaks into the players' locker room in search of an antidote for his depression. GS - Reggie Jackson, Brian Downing and Mike Witt.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                • Nov 2005

Don Drysdale on "Leave it to Beaver". Beaver and his friends call Don Drysdale long-distance. They wait for Drysdale to get out of the shower and run up a large toll. Ward gets the bill. Ward freaks out. June says, "Ward, I think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night."

Comment

• David
                  • Sep 2024

On Married With Children, Al Bundy had several unpleasant interactions with athletes. He accidentally blinded Ernie Banks, was beaned by Steve Carlton and was clotheslined by Ed Too Tall Jones.

Comment

• jobathenut
                    • Nov 2008

On that one episode with the yankees team signed birthday card.That show was on the other night and i just thought it was funny.The amount of money the sports shop guy paid kramer for it-$200.00.For a team signed yankees anything,that cheap,the people at sienfield didnt really do thier homework on that.
                    Originally posted by CampWest
                    The second spitter episode? One of the funniest TV episodes I've ever seen.

Also had the Danny Tartabull episode.

And there was the episode that George used a subconcious knowledge of physics to become one of the greatest hitters anyone had ever seen. I think he swore off women or something and everything suddenly crystalized for him.

For a little collectors twist, the episode where Kramer sold Steinbrenner's birthday card signed by the entire yankees organization. Paul O'Neil was in that one... had to promise the sick kid he'd hit him two homeruns.

Comment

• metsbats
                      • Nov 2005

Mr. Belvedere episode "The Field" where Ueuker assembles a dream team made up of Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks, Johnny Bench, Reggie Jackson, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, and Harmon Killebrew.

This was in 1989 and was dream team line up for a typical card show during that year too.
                      metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• metsbats
                        • Nov 2005

Wade Boggs in Cheers.

Yes I watched alot of TV during the 80's
                        Attached Files
                        metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• CampWest
                          • May 2008

Speaking of The Simpsons, they also had the episode where the power plant's softball team was a bunch of former ballplayers. Boggs, Clemens, Mattingly, ugh I cant recall everyone right now, no coffee yet. But I do remember Mattingly repeatedly being told to shave his sideburns, and they were nearly up to his temples by the time the game was over.

Originally posted by earlywynnfan
                          How about when Homer was the Isotopes baseball mascot on the Simpsons? I think that's the episode where he heckled Darryl Strawberry and DS started to cry.

Ken
                          earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
                          sigpic
                          Wes Campbell

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                            • Nov 2005

By far the best:

Also, that episode of Cheers when the guys are responsible for Kevin McHale's injury.

Comment

• Sixburgh, PA
                              • Jun 2009

The first one that comes to mind for me is Al Bundy vs his high school nemesis "Spare Tire" Dixon (Bubba Smith).

Four touchdowns in one game, baybee!!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...