PDA

View Full Version : Single uniform Vendor for all MLB

RJB44
08-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Does anyone know when the transition to a single MLB vendor for game uniforms was? I remember the time when teams were free to buy from what ever manufacturer/vendor they wanted.

ironmanfan
08-09-2009, 04:57 PM
I know that Rawlings got the contract in 1987 to supply all MLB teams (although a few teams chose not to use them).

Lokee
08-09-2009, 06:35 PM
From what I remember it started in 1986 as Rawlings was the "Official Supplier" If your team chose to NOT wear Rawlings the logo on the sleeve had to be hidden.

1992 Russell became the Official Supplier. No Rawlings logo allowed to be displayed.

2000 Russell is still the main supplier but some teams change to Rawlings and the teams that changed ARE allowed to show the Rawlings logo

In 2003 Majestic became the official supplier to all MLB teams. ALL teams wear Majestic no exceptions.

For some reason the Yankees (contractual obigations) manage to get away with wearing NO LOGOS on the ends of the sleeves even today.

sox83cubs84
08-09-2009, 08:10 PM
The first time MLB actually had one supplier taking care of all member teams was in 2005 with Majestic.

There were official supplier cotracts before then...Rawlings in 1987-91 and Russell in 1992-99, but in both instances, certain teams and even individual players (Barry Bonds, Nolan Ryan) ordered their own from alternative companies.

From 2000-2002, there were 15 Russell teams, 8 Rawlings teams and 7 Majestic teams. For 2003-04, Majestic had 16 teams (all the Rawlings teams plus San Diego switched over) and 14 Russell teams.

As Lokee pointed out, the teams that weren't ordering from an "official" supplier couldn't feature a maunfacturer sleeve logo. Also, the Yankees have avoided showing sleeve logos (the occasional short-notice made Angel Berroa aside) on their game jerseys. Their BP jerseys did start using a Majestic sleeve logo that was visible in or around 2003. Prior to that any Yankees BP jerseys that carried a sleeve logo, be it Russell or Majestic, had to use a logo that was the same color as the jersey itself, so as not to be seen from even a short distance.

Hope this helps.

Dave M.
Chicago area