PDA

View Full Version : O/T: How Are Uniforms Washed at the Ball Park?

cordovacollector
08-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Thought this might be an interesting question for us to learn the hidden secrets right from the former bat boys!

Just how DO you wash the uniforms of the players? With all those famous wash tags and restrictions ... the the dirt from slides and dives that goes on the jerseys and pants straight through to their bodies. And the grass stains? And (that goodness not as much as before) that tobaccie juices? And pine tar? And blood and guts, so to speak, etc?

What kinda of washers do you use? Dryers? How come they are never wrinkled? Does someone press them like a dry cleaner would.

What brand (come on, give us the real dirt here!), what brands of soap, stain removers, do you use?

What temps are they washed in and what temps dried in?

I have some 30-year old wrinkled jerseys that refuse to unwrinkle!!!!

OK, OK, most of you guys are snickering at me ... sittin' there with maybe a pizza stain on yer shirt:) ... but you know, there might be some locker room secrets we could learn that just might be valuable!

And another lockeroom secret I want to know is unrelated. How can I write to one of the head honchos of the umpires association? I would like to buy one used/empty but REAL can of umpire's baseball mud to display with my collection of GU baseballs.

grenda12
08-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Should be an interesting reply. Cant wait to see. Great question to ask cordovacollector.

chakes89
08-09-2009, 09:35 PM
The Third Blog Entry may be a little helpful:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/multimedia/page.jsp?ymd=20090526&content_id=4968032&vkey=multimedia_t459&fext=.jsp&sid=t459

metsbats
08-09-2009, 10:06 PM
I have not had any problems getting grass and dirt stains out of my jersey and pants however pine tar does not seem to come out. Pine tar permanently stains. I don't really mind it however if someone can share what works to get pine tar stains out I'd really appreciate.

Yes I tried oxyclean with a toothbrush and it didn't work.

THanks

orioles03
08-09-2009, 10:14 PM
to get pine tar stains out the orioles used simple green sound wierd but that waht they used .
laundry detergant they bought a big tub from costco there brand nothing special
hung jerseys up damp pants were dried
mlb send a special liquid soap that gets stains out blood pine tar etc

the rubbing baseball mud only mlb teams can get one container last whole season
washers and dryers are locker room dryers orioles have two of each we could get the entire load of clothes players wear under uniform done in about two big load 4 shopping cart baskets full done in about two load and under two hours
they are running from time we got to ballpark around 12 noon until 4-5 in the morning for a night game

cordovacollector
08-10-2009, 01:54 AM
Yes I tried oxyclean with a toothbrush and it didn't work.

If someone took a toothbrush and scrubbed on one the jerseys in MY collection .............:mad: :mad: :mad:

well, let's just say it would be one of two things in the next day's newspaper: divorce or murder. Not necessarily in that order.:eek: :eek:

(Please, I'm joking!) But I would actually resemble Mommie Dearest's, "NO MORE WIRE HANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!" about yer infernal toothbrush! That is sacriligious ... or worse.

:D

cordovacollector
08-10-2009, 01:56 AM

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/multimedia/page.jsp?ymd=20090526&content_id=4968032&vkey=multimedia_t459&fext=.jsp&sid=t459

What a great reply and resource!!! Thanks for that link!

cordovacollector
08-10-2009, 01:58 AM
to get pine tar stains out the orioles used simple green sound wierd but that waht they used .

washers and dryers are locker room dryers orioles have two of each we could get the entire load of clothes players wear under uniform done in about two big load 4 shopping cart baskets full done in about two load and under two hours
they are running from time we got to ballpark around 12 noon until 4-5 in the morning for a night game

You are my hero!!!! Thanks for that great info! Now I need another hero with an umpire connection to get me an empty can of rubbing mud -- for display only!

cordovacollector
08-10-2009, 02:02 AM
Oh, forgot to ask again, Pat. Do they wash in cold or hot water?

Thank you!

metsbats
08-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks Pat.

Gotta get some of that Costco detergent next time I'm there or that special MLB soap.

metsbats
08-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Oh, forgot to ask again, Pat. Do they wash in cold or hot water?

Thank you!

The wash tags on my jersey and pants indicate cold water.

DonFan23
08-10-2009, 09:38 AM
http://baseballrubbingmud.com/

grenda12
08-10-2009, 11:00 AM

http://baseballrubbingmud.com/

Thanks for all the great info. I found it to be very interesting.