PDA

View Full Version : Real Stuff game used helmets...

reed1216
08-10-2009, 03:37 PM
I was looking at this website and was blown away by some of the stuff for sale! Among the most interesting, is a 1985 Cardinals helmet with the #32 on the back. Is there any possibility that this was worn by Ottis Anderson? I checked Getty and there aren't any clear shots of Anderson that would lead me to dispute that he wore it, but the seller doesn't identify it as worn by him. If it was, for the price listed, it's a steal. Here is the link...

http://www.realstuffsports.com/gucards32.htm

mvandor
08-10-2009, 05:59 PM
I was looking at this website and was blown away by some of the stuff for sale! Among the most interesting, is a 1985 Cardinals helmet with the #32 on the back. Is there any possibility that this was worn by Ottis Anderson? I checked Getty and there aren't any clear shots of Anderson that would lead me to dispute that he wore it, but the seller doesn't identify it as worn by him. If it was, for the price listed, it's a steal. Here is the link...

http://www.realstuffsports.com/gucards32.htm

32 in 1995 was Leshon Johnson, RB - thus the value.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/crd/1995_roster.htm

reed1216
08-10-2009, 08:22 PM
mvander- I probably should have specified that the description of the item seems to contradict itself. If you read it closely, it's listed as both a 1985 and a 1995 helmet. Also, in the description it mentions it does not have the NFL sheild on the back, as those were added in 1991. Here is the homepage link, which lists it as a 1985 gamer...
http://www.realstuffsports.com/gameused_rev2.htm

I agree that a LeShon Johnson gamer for that price is appropriate. But it really looks like the helmet is from 1985 and not 1995. I would have emailed the seller, but I didn't see an email address on the site.

mvandor
08-10-2009, 11:44 PM
mvander- I probably should have specified that the description of the item seems to contradict itself. If you read it closely, it's listed as both a 1985 and a 1995 helmet. Also, in the description it mentions it does not have the NFL sheild on the back, as those were added in 1991. Here is the homepage link, which lists it as a 1985 gamer...
http://www.realstuffsports.com/gameused_rev2.htm

I agree that a LeShon Johnson gamer for that price is appropriate. But it really looks like the helmet is from 1985 and not 1995. I would have emailed the seller, but I didn't see an email address on the site.

sales@realstuffsports.com is Frank's email I believe.

reed1216
08-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Thanks!! I will email him now...

reed1216
08-11-2009, 01:26 AM
Below is the copy of the email I sent Frank. Thanks again for providing this and if I hear back from him, I will inform the forum of his response...

Dear Frank,

A member of GUU provided me your email address. I attempted to contact you through your website, but the link didn't work.

First of all, I am very impressed with your inventory! I might be interested in a few of your helmets in the future, particularly the Plummer. Money is a little tight now, being a student, but I absolutely love that piece. As an ASU grad student, I'm a big fan of Jake.

I wanted to ask you about the 1985 Cardinals helmet with the #32 on the back. It's actually listed as having been used in either 1985 and/or 1995, but I think it's from 1985. If that's correct, could this have been Ottis Anderson's?? If so, I imagine it would be worth quite a bit more than the listed price.

I hope to hear from you, regarding this item. I checked Getty last night and the facemask looked similar to the one on the helmet you are offering. With that said, the Getty images were not real clear and it was difficult for me to determine whether or not Anderson wore a similar model.

Thanks in advance,
Reed Stewart

reed1216
08-11-2009, 07:04 AM
I received a reply from Frank, from Real Stuff and the helmet is from 1985. Rather than post our correspondence, I figured I'd wait for him to direct the thread as he sees fit. I will say that he is looking into the possibility that it was used by Ottis Anderson, but I think it's right for me to defer things to him at this juncture. I really hope it turns out to be one of OJ's helmets. That would be so cool!!!!!

Either way, Frank seems like a really nice guy with plenty of integrity. Plus, he has some real cool helmets for sale. Thanks again to mvander for providing his email address. This forum is amazing!!!!!!

mvandor
08-11-2009, 10:46 AM
I received a reply from Frank, from Real Stuff and the helmet is from 1985. Rather than post our correspondence, I figured I'd wait for him to direct the thread as he sees fit. I will say that he is looking into the possibility that it was used by Ottis Anderson, but I think it's right for me to defer things to him at this juncture. I really hope it turns out to be one of OJ's helmets. That would be so cool!!!!!

Either way, Frank seems like a really nice guy with plenty of integrity. Plus, he has some real cool helmets for sale. Thanks again to mvander for providing his email address. This forum is amazing!!!!!!

Don't believe I've seen Frank post here so you might have to keep us updated. I believe he does his own website and to put it kindly that's not his expertise. A ton of broken links, etc. Bitched to him for years but nothing changes.

Oh well, still the only guy on the planet that will add stickers to RK/TK reproductions. When Riddell terminated their NFL license for those lids, Helmet Hut and On-Field Productions got nervous and stopped putting decals on their repros. PIA to try and chase the right decal for the era, done and sized correctly. So Frank remains "the man" if you collect reasonably accurate RK/TK's for player autographs.

reed1216
08-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Here is the reply I received from Frank, earlier this morning....

Reed:

Thanks for the note, and your comments.

The helmet is indeed from 1985 - not 1995. Sorry for the confusion. We have another Cardinals helmet - which is signed from 1995, and it looks like I copied the page to use as a template for this one, and then did not make the changes that were needed. I corrected the date - as well as removing the term "team signed" from this helmet.

On the helmet - I picked it up from a private party in March of this year. The helmet is just how I bought it. I have not attempted to match the helmet, but will spend some time on it in the next couple of days. I did not give it any thought that it could be Anderson's helmet when I bought it, given the modern Schutt OPO mask that is on the helmet. I haven't see photos of Anderson wearing that mask. In addition, I believe 1985 was the last year that he played for the Cardinals before going to Buffalo. In addition, the #90 appears inside the helmet.

The helmet itself is awesome. I've always liked this style of helmet as I have difficulty finding them like this one. From the jawpads to the facemask clips/screws, the helmet is all original and is in great - game used condition.

I will let you know if I find anything.
Frank