PDA

View Full Version : Sports Collectors Digest-thanks For Nothing!

hblakewolf
08-10-2009, 09:29 PM
As a subscriber to SCD since 1982, I can't stand receiving this 35-43 page piece of garbage any longer. When was the last time any collector on this site purchased a valuable game worn item from the pages of SCD or read a story with any insight about the hobby? I simply can't stand reading another T.S. O'Connell story about the ex-groundskeeper in Medford, Oregon who sifted the cow dung by hand in order to make the outfield grass grow for the Medford A's or an in-depth story about the some blind guy in Racine who collects replica stadium napkin dispensers.

Within a month of my subscription running out, I received a renewal form each week, asking me to renew for one additional year. I was really tempted, especially with the rare chance to add a valuable 4 inch plastic Hartland statue to my collection, (direct from China, as stamped on the bottom of the base)! As a 27 year subscriber, I would have to believe the renewal rate offered to me was the best they had-one year, $34.98

While quickly searching the web, I ran upon the SCD site, and a one year offer for a reduced rate of only $27.98!

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/article/Jackie%20jersey%20tops%20Grey%20Flannel%20sale%20a t%20$341,779/

Hey SCD-not only has your publication turned into a total joke, you don't have a clue about customer loyalty or basic business.

"Hey Howard, thanks for being a subscriber for 27 years-the rate we're offering you is $7.00 more than any guy on the street pays when they go directly to our site!"

How sad to watch this once premier publication continue to spiral down the dumps, totally out of control.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

flaco1801
08-10-2009, 10:16 PM
howard i used to subscribe in the same time frame.. i remember hoping it would come on the usual day of the week, also remembering reading it all nite. was pissed if it didnt arrive on time... i havent seen a copy in years.

sox83cubs84
08-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Howard:

I am in complete agreement. Most of my close friends who got SCD quit subscribing as well. When the rag goes under, I'll probably dance in the streets, after the way they screwed me 10 years ago.

Dave M.
Chicago area

metsbats
08-10-2009, 10:30 PM
I stopped my subscription at least 14 years ago. There was nothing news worthy left in SCD and it was filled more with ads and the Centerfield auctions filled up almost the whole paper.

I don't miss it at all.

jobathenut
08-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Me and my brother used to love scd.But it certainly isn't was it used to be.I can remember when it actual was two magazines,and both were thick with pages, and came in a plastic bag.And the last time i saw one,like a couple of months ago i just laughed as it was like the size of normal magazine and seem to have only like 20 pages in it.:)

skyking26
08-11-2009, 08:10 AM
As a subscriber to SCD since 1982, I can't stand receiving this 35-43 page piece of garbage any longer. When was the last time any collector on this site purchased a valuable game worn item from the pages of SCD or read a story with any insight about the hobby? I simply can't stand reading another T.S. O'Connell story about the ex-groundskeeper in Medford, Oregon who sifted the cow dung by hand in order to make the outfield grass grow for the Medford A's or an in-depth story about the some blind guy in Racine who collects replica stadium napkin dispensers.

Within a month of my subscription running out, I received a renewal form each week, asking me to renew for one additional year. I was really tempted, especially with the rare chance to add a valuable 4 inch plastic Hartland statue to my collection, (direct from China, as stamped on the bottom of the base)! As a 27 year subscriber, I would have to believe the renewal rate offered to me was the best they had-one year, $34.98

While quickly searching the web, I ran upon the SCD site, and a one year offer for a reduced rate of only $27.98!

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/article/Jackie%20jersey%20tops%20Grey%20Flannel%20sale%20a t%20$341,779/

Hey SCD-not only has your publication turned into a total joke, you don't have a clue about customer loyalty or basic business.

"Hey Howard, thanks for being a subscriber for 27 years-the rate we're offering you is $7.00 more than any guy on the street pays when they go directly to our site!"

How sad to watch this once premier publication continue to spiral down the dumps, totally out of control.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net
I dumped them after 25 years Howard, all for the same reasons. Rag. Not worth the advanced collectors time. Spend your money on something worthwhile like MLB Xtra Innings with Direct TV or something. Use your 27 years of collecting connections. I know you have hung on for nostalgia sake like I did, but the love affair with SCD is OVER.

skyking26
08-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Howard:

I am in complete agreement. Most of my close friends who got SCD quit subscribing as well. When the rag goes under, I'll probably dance in the streets, after the way they screwed me 10 years ago.

Dave M.
Chicago area
I remember what they did to you, and I'll dance with ya...

TAFKADixie
08-12-2009, 08:09 PM
I was a subscriber from the mid 80s-mid 90s and then stopped as I stopped collecting cards. About 3 months ago, I came across the $28 subscription page and thought WHAT A GREAT DEAL! WHY NOT RE-UP?!?! To say I was shocked when the first issue arrived would be an understatement. I almost threw it out before reading it as I thought it was one of those mid-week minipapers with the advertisements in it. At least it's only about 50 cents an issue. I MIGHT actually get that much worth out of the 10 minutes it takes me to read it. Oh how the mighty have fallen!

commando
08-12-2009, 11:48 PM
I remember SCD being my lifeline the entire six years I spent in the Army -- especially the two years in Germany from 1990 - 1992. Needless to say, like most of you, I do not subscribe any more. I can understand how the internet has made information fast and free... But there's no excuse for the lack of hobby "reference" information, which you rarely see these days in the pages of SCD.

I do a bit of journalism on the side (I conduct artist interviews for XMFan.com), but SCD has never shown any interest in the articles I've submitted... I'm talking about informative articles on Topps proof cards, regional issues, etc. Thank God they at least published Keith Olbermann's proof articles last year (even though some of his information is incomplete or incorrect).

I miss the good ol' days.

Where have you gone, Dave Medeima? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

skyking26
08-13-2009, 06:42 AM
I remember SCD being my lifeline the entire six years I spent in the Army -- especially the two years in Germany from 1990 - 1992. Needless to say, like most of you, I do not subscribe any more. I can understand how the internet has made information fast and free... But there's no excuse for the lack of hobby "reference" information, which you rarely see these days in the pages of SCD.

I do a bit of journalism on the side (I conduct artist interviews for XMFan.com), but SCD has never shown any interest in the articles I've submitted... I'm talking about informative articles on Topps proof cards, regional issues, etc. Thank God they at least published Keith Olbermann's proof articles last year (even though some of his information is incomplete or incorrect).

I miss the good ol' days.

Where have you gone, Dave Medeima? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you.
Dave is alive and well and can be seen here at GUU under the name sox83cubs84...............

Eric
08-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Sadly the next issue I receive will be my last as well. I have been hanging on from year to year but it's kind of unbearable at this point.

I even tried to write for them. I got one column about collecting game used in SCD a few years ago and then never heard back from them about a second one. Oh well.

I too remember when it was in two sections. There was nothing more exciting than getting it in the mail. I think the internet and ebay hurt SCD. Too bad. good memories.

If i see an old issue at a tag sale (which believe it or not has come up more than once) I'll pick one up to see what the state of the hobby was back in the day. If you see one, try it. It's entertaining reading.
Eric