PDA

View Full Version : Sense???

skyking26
08-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Maybe I am missing something here; but occasionally like this week I'll have an auction with a buy-it-now and I'll have 7 "watchers." Now, in a buy-it-now, what the hell is there to watch??? A person could but it on day one for the same price as the guy on day 7...

Anybody knows what I'm missing here, please advise. Beats me.

RK

Mauer7
08-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Sometimes people with similar items will watch items with no intention to bid or buy. They just want to see what it sells for.

skyking26
08-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Sometimes people with similar items will watch items with no intention to bid or buy. They just want to see what it sells for.
That's about the "only" sense I could see as you could have it at said price on day #1...

Anybody else?:eek:

jv225
08-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Maybe they are considering buying it but they want to think about it for a day or 2 so they put it on the watch list so they don't forget about it. That's the only reason I can think of.

mattmueller
08-11-2009, 06:07 PM
I mark items as "watch" for both of the previously mentioned reasons.

otismalibu
08-11-2009, 06:12 PM
They're hoping no one bites, then they'll email you a lowball offer after the auction ends. :)

I've got some property listed with around 45 watchers, yet only 2 people have emailed with questions. Who knows.

spartakid
08-11-2009, 06:24 PM
I do that sometimes, usually if it has a best offer available so that I can see what it sells for if I'm trying to see what the market value is on something. Since of you're watching it, you'll see if a best offer was accepted and for how much.

skyking26
08-11-2009, 06:50 PM
They're hoping no one bites, then they'll email you a lowball offer after the auction ends. :)

I've got some property listed with around 45 watchers, yet only 2 people have emailed with questions. Who knows.
I had it listed right in the auction that the item was being sold at break-even to sell it, and no lower offers would be accepted, to discourage the 7 watchers for emailing later with ridiculous offers...

jkalathas
08-11-2009, 07:12 PM
they do it just to piss us off

mvandor
08-11-2009, 07:52 PM
You're dealing with the general public. That means Joe Average, the guy getting the 'C's next to you in high school.

suicide_squeeze
08-11-2009, 10:36 PM
RK,

Those 7 watchers are probably ebay employees who have tagged your auction while they brainstorm an 11th hour managers meeting over pizza and try to figure out a way to justify the shutting down of your auction.

To them, listing your item for a "But It Now" and stating that you are listing it low, at break even, so it will sell...... just has to be against company policy.

Because it just makes too much sense.

Have I mentioned lately that I hate ebay?

skyking26
08-11-2009, 10:41 PM
RK,

Those 7 watchers are probably ebay employees who have tagged your auction while they brainstorm an 11th hour managers meeting over pizza and try to figure out a way to justify the shutting down of your auction.

To them, listing your item for a "But It Now" and stating that you are listing it low, at break even, so it will sell...... just has to be against company policy.

Because it just makes too much sense.

Have I mentioned lately that I hate ebay?
Yea, all I'm looking to do these days is slim down the collection. I bought the mirror at $250 in 2005 and just have no room to display it really. As is the case with several items, I'm not willing to lose $$, but break-even and offering to drive and hour and deliver it to your door isn't apparently good enough. Many friends have compared ebayers to tire-kickers, and I see why. If you are not willing to "give" and item away, it won't sell...

jobathenut
08-12-2009, 12:03 AM
skyking-I am right with you my friend.I never understood that when i used to sell on ebay.Why you would watch a buy it now item.I always hated that as a seller as it gives you a false sense that you'll be able to sell it.And what even got me more upset is when it was (like i always did)a buy it now or best offer.Just make a offer.And as a buyer i never watched a item,if i was interested,i would bid on it.Anyways,i don't know why i keep responding to threads about that place saying i have been doing a shelf boycott for about a year now,since they went to paypal only.And you are right,ebay or what i called it-"garagesale bay" is all about getting give away prices for items.But items like a potatoe chip that looks like bush get big money on there.Man,i hate ebay-EBAY IS A JOKE.:)

NYCrulesU
08-12-2009, 12:41 AM
I have a number of items on my watchlist. I would love for a seller to come to me and complain about my watching their item. I would gladly go watch something else and spend my funds elsewhere.

skyking26
08-12-2009, 12:50 AM
I have a number of items on my watchlist. I would love for a seller to come to me and complain about my watching their item. I would gladly go watch something else and spend my funds elsewhere.
I think you are missing the point: This was a buy-it-now auction. What are they watching? There is nowhere to go... You either buy or don't buy... I don't get it - there is nothing to watch.

jobathenut
08-12-2009, 04:31 AM
EXACTLY.....:)
I think you are missing the point: This was a buy-it-now auction. What are they watching? There is nowhere to go... You either buy or don't buy... I don't get it - there is nothing to watch.

helmets
08-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Skyking:

What is your ebay user name. It sounds like you have some interesting Buy it Now auctions, and I would like to add them to my watch list...

skyking26
08-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Skyking:

What is your ebay user name. It sounds like you have some interesting Buy it Now auctions, and I would like to add them to my watch list...
LOL!!!

skyking26, same as everywhere!

RK

PwKw13
08-12-2009, 12:30 PM

Don't sellers sometimes lower their Buy It Now price? Maybe that's what they're waiting for. I watch items all the time that I want to research or think about. If the seller lowers the price, it might make it a much easier decision.

both-teams-played-hard
08-12-2009, 12:51 PM
You're dealing with the general public. That means Joe Average, the guy getting the 'C's next to you in high school.

I resemble that remark. I got "Cs" in high school.

It is much easier to add to a watch list now, because it doesn't go to a second screen and delay you.

nationals2k9
08-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Don't sellers sometimes lower their Buy It Now price? Maybe that's what they're waiting for. I watch items all the time that I want to research or think about. If the seller lowers the price, it might make it a much easier decision.

Exactly, when I sell on Ebay I lower the BIN price all the time. I usually assume an auction with a few watchers and no offers is a few bucks away from being sold.

NYCrulesU
08-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Exactly, when I sell on Ebay I lower the BIN price all the time. I usually assume an auction with a few watchers and no offers is a few bucks away from being sold.

Exactly. Well said from someone who clearly has and exercises common sense. Glad to hear us "average joes" don't irritate you by watching your items, for whatever reason.

skyking26
08-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Exactly. Well said from someone who clearly has and exercises common sense. Glad to hear us "average joes" don't irritate you by watching your items, for whatever reason.
My auction clearly stated that the item will not be sold for less at the end of auction if it did not sell. I could not have been more clear or honest.

I guess everybody has their own viewpoint...

skipcarayislegend
08-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I watch stuff all the time. Right now I've got 9 on my list, only two or three of which I might possibly maybe if i feel it bid on. One is a BIN and I have no intention of buying it. In most cases I'm just curious what they'll go for. Why?

Because I may own one like it.

Because it may be a fake.

Because it may be priced stupid high and I wanna see if anyone's crazy enough to pay.

Because it's a rad piece and I want to witness the bidding war that will inevitably take place in the final 90 seconds.

Because I once owned it.

Because I feel like it.

And once because the seller said he didn't want a bunch of people watching his stuff if they weren't gonna buy it.

both-teams-played-hard
08-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Also, I watch things that I may need to research when I have more time. I pay no attention to my watch list, only my PayPal balance.
I go agree that high numbers on the watch list and low numbers on the bidder list can be frustrating.

both-teams-played-hard
08-12-2009, 03:29 PM
I pay no attention to my watch list, only my PayPal balance.

I pay attention to items I am watching, just not to how many are watching my auctions.

Vintagedeputy
08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
I watch stuff all the time. Right now I've got 9 on my list, only two or three of which I might possibly maybe if i feel it bid on. One is a BIN and I have no intention of buying it. In most cases I'm just curious what they'll go for. Why?

Because it may be priced stupid high and I wanna see if anyone's crazy enough to pay.

Because it's a rad piece and I want to witness the bidding war that will inevitably take place in the final 90 seconds.

Because I once owned it.

Because I feel like it.

And once because the seller said he didn't want a bunch of people watching his stuff if they weren't gonna buy it.

+1 to all of those!

Jays1fan
08-12-2009, 03:52 PM

Because I once owned it.

Because I feel like it.

Ding Ding Ding ..we have a winner. Very well Said !

xpress34
08-14-2009, 12:31 AM

SK -

Sometimes, I may be looking for an item and see an 'auction style listing' and a 'Buy It Now' listing. The BIN listing may close AFTER the Auction listing, but the BIN price is HIGHER than the current Auction price.

I will watch the BIN in case the auction item goes past my price range - or goes over what I can pick it up for on the BIN.

- Chris

skyking26
08-14-2009, 01:45 AM
Appreciate all the feedback. Allows me to see the other sides. I usually don't go to the extents others do watching things. If I watch I generally am interested enough to obtain it. I never watch anything I feel is overpriced as I would have no intention of purchasing it.

Everybody's got their game I guess.

Peace - RK

BergerKing22784
08-14-2009, 09:45 PM
I will admit it is frustrating Sky King but I do the same I watch things all the time that I dont plan on buying for those thing mentioned or I do it to remind me of something I might buy if I cant find something I like more....

As far as the "im not going lower" comment. I have had sellers say that all the time and after a couple relist the price goes down. The few stingy sellers mostly the ticket scalping sellers just eat the tickets I guess!

What I dont get though and sorry to change the subject of the thread but you even say you just want this mirror out of your life as it is in your way. If its in your way why not just take what someone is willing to pay to get it out of the way? There is not much stuff in my life that I have bought that i later tried to sell that sold for what I paid for it. I know we are in a sports collecting market and our stuff goes up and down in price but other items that I no longer wanted I can't recall ever geting what I paid for an item back. If its an item I want out of my life I jsut take what I can get.

Jays1fan
08-15-2009, 07:29 AM
I will admit it is frustrating Sky King but I do the same I watch things all the time that I dont plan on buying for those thing mentioned or I do it to remind me of something I might buy if I cant find something I like more....

As far as the "im not going lower" comment. I have had sellers say that all the time and after a couple relist the price goes down. The few stingy sellers mostly the ticket scalping sellers just eat the tickets I guess!

What I dont get though and sorry to change the subject of the thread but you even say you just want this mirror out of your life as it is in your way. If its in your way why not just take what someone is willing to pay to get it out of the way? There is not much stuff in my life that I have bought that i later tried to sell that sold for what I paid for it. I know we are in a sports collecting market and our stuff goes up and down in price but other items that I no longer wanted I can't recall ever geting what I paid for an item back. If its an item I want out of my life I jsut take what I can get.

Yeah , I sometimes "watch" an item hoping for a relist at a lower price.
Even though some sellers say they wont EVER go lower , even in the listing , most of the time they do. I have been on both sides. Sometimes thinking I wont take less , then doing it just to get rid of it. I am sure you will change your mind at some point and lower it ( wink wink ) and you wil be glad you did just to get rid of it.

otismalibu
08-15-2009, 08:58 AM
What year did eBay add the Watch feature?

I don't think they had it when I joined, so I still bookmark the auctions I'm watching, just from force of habit.

skyking26
08-15-2009, 09:28 AM

The problem with buying a product when it first hits the market is that everyone is in the hype. These mirrors were around All-Star Fanfest in Detroit and were/are extremely attractive. I don't recall anyone buying one for under $250 at the time. For 4 years it has sat in a corner of my sports room on the carpeting while I negotiated with my wife on a spot to hang it. Frankly, negotiations did not go well as my wife never has budged from the "in your room or no hang" phrase.

Money is not in terrible abundance. I am still buying pricey game used items as always. Just makes sense to sell it. I lowered the price some. I'm a pretty stubborn guy tho. If it does not sell it'll sit on the carpet another 4 years I'm guessing. I do have a buyer, but he is in CA and wants it shipped. It may come down to shipping it. May have to bite the bullet, we'll see.

RK

whatupyos
08-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Bob,

Just sell the darn thing if you have a buyer. :) lol I've sold stuff for lower than I bought it. Mostly because I'm an idiot and bought stuff for more than the average bear would, but I really wanted it at the time. Then later, I had to re-think things and needed money for more important items and sold for a loss. I understand you don't want to do that, and I respect that but sometimes, you just might have to give in if there are no other interested parties. Just a thought my friend. I don't mean to try and tell you what to do, just offer a suggestion from a friend. I always say to myself, beggars can't be choosers.

Respectfully,

Aaron

skyking26
08-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Bob,

Just sell the darn thing if you have a buyer. :) lol I've sold stuff for lower than I bought it. Mostly because I'm an idiot and bought stuff for more than the average bear would, but I really wanted it at the time. Then later, I had to re-think things and needed money for more important items and sold for a loss. I understand you don't want to do that, and I respect that but sometimes, you just might have to give in if there are no other interested parties. Just a thought my friend. I don't mean to try and tell you what to do, just offer a suggestion from a friend. I always say to myself, beggars can't be choosers.

Respectfully,

Aaron
The friend of mine who was interested is also the same guy that is buying another item of larger dollar value over installments. That said, not a good time to sell him this on top of another. If the mirror does not sell, I'll wait til I'm clear with him on the other item...and if he agrees to shipping charges then we'll do it.

RK

jppopma
08-16-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm on of those people who keep a large number of items on my Ebay watch list. Most of my reasons have already been touched on, but another reason I keep things on my watch list is to keep track of what I am interested in. It serves me sort of as a wish list for things that I do not have the money for at the time, or am debating on. Even after the item closes, it will still be on the watch list and I can contact the seller to see if it is still available later on.

Bob, hopefully this is the case with your mirror and one of your watchers will be contacting you once they can raise the money. Since you explained you will not drop the pirce, it may take time for some people to save up. Good luck!

skyking26
08-16-2009, 03:38 AM
I'm on of those people who keep a large number of items on my Ebay watch list. Most of my reasons have already been touched on, but another reason I keep things on my watch list is to keep track of what I am interested in. It serves me sort of as a wish list for things that I do not have the money for at the time, or am debating on. Even after the item closes, it will still be on the watch list and I can contact the seller to see if it is still available later on.

Bob, hopefully this is the case with your mirror and one of your watchers will be contacting you once they can raise the money. Since you explained you will not drop the pirce, it may take time for some people to save up. Good luck!
Thank you sir,

Bob