PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Pete Rose Mizuno game used

anatfan09
08-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Just picked up this 1984 Pete Rose game used signed Mizuno. Any thoughts? Came with a great story as to how it was obtained. Has the letter "A" stamped into the bottom of the knob. Is this the style he collected his 4,000th hit with? Appreciate any insight as to what I've got, I am a rookie collector.

Lokee
08-15-2009, 01:57 PM
are those rings tape ? or are they part of the bat ? Probably a stupid question but none of the gamers from oher players I own have anything like that. Very cool !

NFLELCollector
08-15-2009, 02:14 PM
AWESOME BAT! Great Pickup! Congratulations.
I have seen quite a few Pete Rose Bats over the Years (I was a HUGE Fan back in the 80's)-BUT i have never seen this specific bat!
It was My understanding that after he Broke the NL Career Hits Record (3600 and something?), Rose used a Mizuno Model 36XX until he broke 4000, then went to another Model.

First off the "A" stands for The Type of Wood-ASH, Stamped into the Bat by the Bat Maker (Who is the Same Guy) Who now makes Bats for ICHIRO and Hideki MATSUI-he has been with MIZUNO forever!

2nd-It was Unheard of for Bat Manufactures in the 80's to have the Team Name much less the Year of the Bat Printed on the Barrell-This is just one of the Unique things about this Bat.

The thick Tape Rings are also unique to ROSE Bats-He liked the Feel for a groved handle, almost like creating slots for each finger.
The Tape (Which is Absent from this Bat) below the Mizuno Logo (Which was Used for Pine Tar) Came Later when he was back with The Reds, and Used a Black Bat.

The Bat Should be about 33.5 Inches and Weigh about 31-32 Oz. Which was Typical Specs for a Pete Rose Gamer!

Hope that Helps,
TNT

suicide_squeeze
08-15-2009, 06:38 PM
anatfan09.

That's a very nice bat. May I ask where you prushased it from? I haven't seen it before. I am assuming you bought it from a private party, as I would have seen it if it came from a major auction.

Also, what does the full inscription say?.....Can't quite see all of it in your pictures, thanks.

NYCrulesU
08-15-2009, 06:39 PM
I hope you have it in hand. When you do, Congrats! I only say this because 2 days after the auction ended, with you as the winning bidder I presume, the seller offered the same bat to me. Said they would sell it to me if I kicked in an additional few hundred dollars. I never responded to their email, I don't play that way.

Again, great looking bat. Congrats!

suicide_squeeze
08-15-2009, 06:55 PM
I hope you have it in hand. When you do, Congrats! I only say this because 2 days after the auction ended, with you as the winning bidder I presume, the seller offered the same bat to me. Said they would sell it to me if I kicked in an additional few hundred dollars. I never responded to their email, I don't play that way.

OH boy......That's a HUGE RED FLAG anatfan09......be careful with who you are sending your money too on this one.

suicide_squeeze
08-15-2009, 06:57 PM

NYCrulesU.......Was this an Ebay auction this bat was old in??

NYCrulesU
08-15-2009, 07:09 PM
NYCrulesU.......Was this an Ebay auction this bat was old in??

Yes.

yanks12025
08-15-2009, 07:47 PM
I think he has the bat because the back ground is different than the ebay auction. You got that bat at a very good price.

anatfan09
08-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Another photo of the inscription. Reads "BEST WISHES TO A GREAT FAN".
Item was briefly listed on ebay, seller took time to call & tell me how he obtained the bat from the daughter of long time MLB umpire. Was quite an interesting story.
Does anyone know if this is the model Rose used to collect his 4000th hit? I have not been able to find a photo of the one on display at the hall of fame. Bat is 33 1/2 inches.
If anyone is interested in the bat feel free to email me at difaehnle@hotmail.com