PDA

View Full Version : Jeter holds shortstop hit record

cjclong
08-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Yesterday against the Mariners Derek Jeter set the record for most career hits by a major league shortstop. There have been some arguments here on this forum that Jeter is overrated because he plays for the Yankees. There is no question that Jeter gets more publicity than a lot of other players because he is in New York. But there can be no question that when you have more hits for your positon than all the other players in major league history that have played your positon that you are a hall of fame player.

rj_lucas
08-17-2009, 12:12 PM
That is impressive. He appears to have several good playing years ahead of him, so he should set the bar high on that record. There's more to baseball than power numbers, and anyone who doesn't think Derek Jeter is a first-ballot Hall of Famer just isn't paying attention. And for the record, I'm not a Yankees fan (although I do appreciate their heritage).

How can you not root for a guy who plays with enough fire in his gut to bloody his face going into the stands for a ball, but who keeps the fire in check off-the-field and displays nothing but class.

Did anybody notice that Jeter rode with his parents in the All-Star parade? It doesn't get any cooler than that in my book.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

cjclong
08-17-2009, 01:04 PM
You said it very well rj lucas! Appreciating quality players whether they are on the team you are a fan of are not is in my opinion part of being a real baseball fan.

mbenga28
08-17-2009, 02:36 PM
the only flaw in his professional career is the steel cold treatment he gives A-Rod.

rj_lucas
08-17-2009, 05:37 PM
the only flaw in his professional career is the steel cold treatment he gives A-Rod.

You call that a flaw? :D

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

bigtime59
08-18-2009, 07:06 AM

I would have said it's his vastly overrated defense...but that's just me.

cjclong
08-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Teams don't win league championships and world series with "vastly overrated" defensive shortstops, at least not year after year as the Yankees have done. As far as winning a gold glove award as Jeter has done, you can argue that the best defensive player does not always win the gold glove award, but you can't argue that bad ones ever win it.