PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Day 'Pink' Bats Are Up

pietraynor
05-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Special Mother's Day/Breast Cancer Awareness "Pink" Bats are beginning to be listed on MLB.com...Some current items include gamers from Jeter, ARod, Posada & other Yankees..There are also several Team Signed bats..take a look!

suave1477
05-25-2006, 08:32 PM
WAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT A MINUTE!!!!!!!

Everyone read this post i am writing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the first thread was put up about these mothers day bat and everyone can read it, we all talked about about who ised the mothers day bats I personally mentioned JORGE POSADA bcuz i was watching that game and I mentioned in that thread it was funny how JORGE POSADA never used his mothers day bat in that game AND EVEN THE ANNOUNCERS POINTED IT OUT HOW HIS BAT WAS SITTING IN THE GRASS WHILE HE USED HIS REGULAR BAT.

HOW IS IT MLB AUCTIONS ARE SELLING A GAME USED MOTHERS DAY JORGE POSADA GAME USED BAT?????????????????
Jorge Posada Game-Used and Signed 2006 Mother's Day Bat

Current Bid: $ 375.00
Bids: 3

BoneRubbedBat
05-25-2006, 09:05 PM
......the fine print:

"*Game-used encompases batting practice and/or the game itself."

I guess MLB has finally defined "game use" for us.

Marcus

suave1477
05-25-2006, 10:16 PM
I am starting to question MLB'A authentication process as we all hold are higest regards to MLB as I did also thinking to ourselves of all orginaztions that will not try to pull a wool over our eyes or pass something off bcuz it has the potential of being Game Used instead of it actually being Game Used it shows that there process is not as secure as we thought.

My reason for making this comment I have another item that was MLB authenticated. Sold to me as Game Used and the item does not show one drop of use on it anywhere. I am in the middle of the process right now of having them re-look at the item and make a judgement call to either refund my money or replace it for something else.

So now in my eyes these are 2 incidents of possible misleading!!!

norristrophy
05-26-2006, 07:31 AM
WAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT A MINUTE!!!!!!!

Everyone read this post i am writing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the first thread was put up about these mothers day bat and everyone can read it, we all talked about about who ised the mothers day bats I personally mentioned JORGE POSADA bcuz i was watching that game and I mentioned in that thread it was funny how JORGE POSADA never used his mothers day bat in that game AND EVEN THE ANNOUNCERS POINTED IT OUT HOW HIS BAT WAS SITTING IN THE GRASS WHILE HE USED HIS REGULAR BAT.

HOW IS IT MLB AUCTIONS ARE SELLING A GAME USED MOTHERS DAY JORGE POSADA GAME USED BAT?????????????????
Jorge Posada Game-Used and Signed 2006 Mother's Day Bat

Current Bid: $ 375.00
Bids: 3

Same thing happened when the NHL used the pink sticks earlier in the year. Many players only warmed up with them and not too many used them in the game. It is up to you the buyer to make sure the item you are going after was actually used in game play by watching the footage.

BULBUS
05-26-2006, 07:37 AM
i dont think arod used his in the game either?? correct me if i'm wrong. i know that jeter only used his in his first at bat and grounded out. that bat is going to go for a lot of money. it would have been cool if they wrote game used and the date.

suave1477
05-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Norris Trophy well unfortunately I do not have the time in my life to watch every basbeball game ever played by a certain player to track down the exact time he used the bat that I have.
But if your offering to take the time off of work for about a year to sit at home and watch for me ill go out an get every footage i can find and ill send it to you!!!!!!

Bulbus thats an interesting statement you made i wasnt particularly paying attention to AROD ( as i cant stand him and think hes over rated ) but from memory i dont remember him using his either.

norristrophy
05-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Norris Trophy well unfortunately I do not have the time in my life to watch every basbeball game ever played by a certain player to track down the exact time he used the bat that I have.
But if your offering to take the time off of work for about a year to sit at home and watch for me ill go out an get every footage i can find and ill send it to you!!!!!!

You'll find Getty Images works wonders for this type of thing. Especially when they used them on a specific date/timeframe.

trsent
05-26-2006, 11:20 AM
What is the big deal? MLB clearly states that game used can be used in batting practice. They are not looking to pull a fast one on anyone, so stop wasting your time complaining because their description is clear as day and honest.

If you don't like it, buy from someone you like but stop pointing fingers at what appears to be a legitimate operation.

sportscentury
05-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi, Suave...

I understand your concern ... many hobbyists don't consider "game used" to include used equipment that never made it into a real game. However, the fact that it was stated that, in these auctions, game used includes batting-practice-used items is important and clarifying information that many sellers neglect to include in their auctions for BP-used items. Perhaps it would be even clearer if the titles distinguished the BP items from the "game used" items (and perhaps that is what you had in mind), but the auctions do make the clarification and they are welcome to define the term game used as they like.

They seem like some pretty cool bats to me.

Best of luck if you decide to bid.

Reid

mr.miracle
05-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Hello Mr. Suave:

Can't you stand ARod because in the big games he pulls a bigger disappearing act than Harry Houdini? There is a picture of Alex in the dictionary of terminology if there is such a thing, under the term disappears in the clutch. Alex is like the Anti-James Worthy. Big game James was about as clutch as anyone could be in the Playoffs, Alex is about as disappointing as anyone can be in the playoffs.

suave1477
05-26-2006, 12:23 PM
MrMiracle i couldnt have said it any better. I find it a bit amazing how people swoon over him and yet he produces when its not needed if were up in a game by 20 runs he hits 3 home runs to add to it, but if were down by one run and anyone including my grand mother could be on base he strikes out, MAYBE THATS IT ILL TELL MY GRANDMOTHER TO STOP RUNNING ON TO THE FIELD. LOL LOL LOL:D :D :D

NorrisTrophy I think you ttoally missed my whole comment i was not just referring too the pink bats i am also referring to the bat I bought as Game Used and ( IT DOESNT HAVE A MARK ON IT AT ALL, NOT EVEN FROM BATTING PRACTICE ). I can live with the whole GAME USED/BATTING PRACTICE THING. I cant live with not a mark of a ball anywhere and it being considered GAME USED.

As far as the other persons comment I find it amzing how they repeatedly announce that they cannot see mt threads and put me on some kind of ignore option yet they know I started the post and always make reply comments to my posts that I leave. This guy must be alling Dionne Warwick and her pshyhic friends.

OH YEAH I BELIVE THAT PERSON WAS WARNED NOT TO TALK TO ME!!!
I said it before and Ill say it again I choose not to speak with people who are just looking to start a fight and not let others speak freely.

My last statement was not for MrMiracle or NorrisTrophy

BULBUS
05-26-2006, 12:37 PM
suave, do you mean me?? lol. just kidding, i know who you mean and i'm on his ignore list too. i couldnt be happier. i just wish he didnt have to chime in with the same comments everytime. what people pay for things is a big part of this hobby and it is our business!

norristrophy
05-26-2006, 12:50 PM
One thing you have to keep in mind and Joel and Reid alluded to it is that the charities will not get involved in sematics such as the BP vs GU type of issues...they have stacks of bats attributed to players and they are going to lump them together. They are only concerned with (and rightfully so) making sure that the money collected goes to the right place. They will leave everything else up to the buyer. Would collectors like to see these types of issues more clearly defined, certainly...but I cannot fault these groups as they are obviously not intending to mislead. Like I said, the NHL carried it out in the same manner and if you watched the games of the teams/players you intended to bid on, you made a note of who showed up during the games themselves donning a piece of pink equipment.

sportscentury
05-26-2006, 03:00 PM
MrMiracle i couldnt have said it any better. I find it a bit amazing how people swoon over him and yet he produces when its not needed if were up in a game by 20 runs he hits 3 home runs to add to it, but if were down by one run and anyone including my grand mother could be on base he strikes out, MAYBE THATS IT ILL TELL MY GRANDMOTHER TO STOP RUNNING ON TO THE FIELD. LOL LOL LOL:D :D :D

NorrisTrophy I think you ttoally missed my whole comment i was not just referring too the pink bats i am also referring to the bat I bought as Game Used and ( IT DOESNT HAVE A MARK ON IT AT ALL, NOT EVEN FROM BATTING PRACTICE ). I can live with the whole GAME USED/BATTING PRACTICE THING. I cant live with not a mark of a ball anywhere and it being considered GAME USED.

As far as the other persons comment I find it amzing how they repeatedly announce that they cannot see mt threads and put me on some kind of ignore option yet they know I started the post and always make reply comments to my posts that I leave. This guy must be alling Dionne Warwick and her pshyhic friends.

OH YEAH I BELIVE THAT PERSON WAS WARNED NOT TO TALK TO ME!!!
I said it before and Ill say it again I choose not to speak with people who are just looking to start a fight and not let others speak freely.

My last statement was not for MrMiracle or NorrisTrophy

Hi, Suave:

I trust your comments were not directed to me. I understand and share your concern, actually. My point was only that at least the auctions stated what they meant by "game used." But I get your larger point and I believe it is a concern shared by many in the hobby.

Best,
Reid

trsent
05-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Reid, no fear, the comments were posted towards me.

If someone quotes Jason's comments it is the only way I can read them.

Then again, the other day just his title set me off, like it is our business if someone pays $2000.00 for a game used item of Julio Franco we should judge that they paid too much because of the eBay market being so soft these day.

I

rbalm
05-27-2006, 09:21 AM
More Bats are up. Too bad the Griffey bat was NOT used in an official game. If you go to Getty images, Griffey had his pink bat taped on the barrel. Ugh!

Adam

suave1477
05-27-2006, 01:59 PM
sportscentury no the comments were not directed towards you

cohibasmoker
05-28-2006, 08:25 AM
From a very good source, I was told that each MLB player received 10 -12 "Pink" Mother's Day bats.

indyred
06-01-2006, 02:57 PM
I wonder if the Bill Hall is the walk off homer bat. Shows nice use, is over 3k..... Looks like they have only just started with them. Quite a few teams aren't listed yet. Wonder if the Thome bat will be his homer one, he used pink bats in few at bats...I was hoping they would start out at $100, instead of $300. Curious to see if Boston and Texas bats surface as game issued, they were rained out on Mother's day, maybe those will go cheap.....Looks like even the lesser player's will sell for a decent price. Here a link to mlb auctions.....
http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Search?merchant_rn=33072944&GO_SEARCH=YES&status=O&sort_order=priced&textsearch=mothers+day+bat&Submit.x=20&Submit.y=5

suave1477
06-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Wow I cant beleive the way the prices sky rocketed on those bats HOLY COW!!!!

metsbats
06-03-2006, 08:44 AM
I hope when the buyers want to get rid of the bats on the secondary market on ebay the prices will be more down to earth. First law of economics I remember from college is never be a pioneer!

-David

allstarsplus
06-03-2006, 10:56 AM
I hope when the buyers want to get rid of the bats on the secondary market on ebay the prices will be more down to earth. First law of economics I remember from college is never be a pioneer!

-David

David - All the proceeds from the bats will go to:

Proceeds benefit the Susan G. Komen Foundation

That foundation is a 501c3 Charitable Foundation so any buyer will be able to take a charitable deduction on their taxes above the fair market value of the bat.

Someone who pays $2,100 for this bat and say they claim $2,000 as a charitable deduction is probably at $1,200 to $1,400 in real cash dollars for the bat and is helping a great cause!!! I hope the bats go higher (except for the ones I bid on ;) ).

metsbats
06-03-2006, 03:41 PM
David - All the proceeds from the bats will go to:

Proceeds benefit the Susan G. Komen Foundation

That foundation is a 501c3 Charitable Foundation so any buyer will be able to take a charitable deduction on their taxes above the fair market value of the bat.

Someone who pays $2,100 for this bat and say they claim $2,000 as a charitable deduction is probably at $1,200 to $1,400 in real cash dollars for the bat and is helping a great cause!!! I hope the bats go higher (except for the ones I bid on ;) ).

I agree it's a great cause. Didn't realize the buyer can take a tax deduction. I may even bid now. Thanks for that info.

indyred
06-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Bill Hall bat goes for 25K and change........Man these are going to be spendy!!!!!!!!!

Oil Can Dan
06-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Bill Hall bat goes for 25K and change........Man these are going to be spendy!!!!!!!!!

Wow. I wonder if Bill Hall bought it.

BoneRubbedBat
06-04-2006, 06:43 PM
A few final prices.

Jeter - $6,325

A-Rod - $4,025

Nick Swisher - $1,025

Marcus

allstarsplus
06-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Check out the Beltran Old Hickory bat. It looks partially painted. I know Louisville Slugger backed the promotion so this should be rare.

http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog750/folder24978/img2608721.jpg

indyred
06-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Felipe Lopez is the Hickory type bat as well. They are painted with a much lighter pink than the Louisville Slugger bats from this program. Do the Hickory even have the MLB logo breast cancer ribbon on them?

BULBUS
06-05-2006, 01:42 PM
anyone see how much the derek jeter bat went for?

BULBUS
06-05-2006, 01:44 PM
nevermind, bonerubber posted the price. thanks!

eGameUsed
06-14-2006, 09:23 AM
The David Wright is already on the secondary market!

http://cgi.ebay.com/David-Wright-mothers-day-game-used-signed-pink-bat_W0QQitemZ8828300735QQihZ005QQcategoryZ60596QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,

indyred
06-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Didn't the Wright bat just end. I doubt seller has it in hand yet, or maybe he got it express mailed....the pictures are from the mlb auction.......Seems there is a bunch of bats that haven't been put up yet..anybody grab one yet.....I'll have to check and see what the lowest price one has been.....seems they have gone for good prices all around so far........

sportscentury
06-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Have you seen the ad on TV where the guy at the art auction wins a painting and then immediately says: "Okay, I'd like to sell it now."? Life imitating art (or at least advertising).

Reid

indyred
06-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Have you seen the ad on TV where the guy at the art auction wins a painting and then immediately says: "Okay, I'd like to sell it now."? Life imitating art (or at least advertising).

Reid
Could be....or he won the auction not thinking he would.....he does state in the auction he won another pink bat from mlb auctions.....looks like he bought it for over 4k.....will be interesting to see if he recoups his $.....he says anything extra he will donate to the charity.

metsbats
06-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Could be....or he won the auction not thinking he would.....he does state in the auction he won another pink bat from mlb auctions.....looks like he bought it for over 4k.....will be interesting to see if he recoups his $.....he says anything extra he will donate to the charity.

I hope it's legit. 2 years ago I got burned on an auction on a Barry Bonds game used bat. The photo was from another auction site (ASI auctions) and the seller never had the bat and was scaming folks.

Just wanted to throw that out there and not accusing anyone.

-David

sportscentury
06-15-2006, 07:56 PM
[quote=indyred]Could be....or he won the auction not thinking he would.....he does state in the auction he won another pink bat from mlb auctions.[quote]

Sure enough (and even if he fully intended to immediately reauction it from the beginning, that is entirely his choice and I hope he gets a great price for it).

I was really impressed by some of the prices that the pink bats brought - especially the ones that clearly were not used. Some amazing numbers.

BoneRubbedBat
06-15-2006, 08:23 PM
I think this one is the record so far.....

BoneRubbedBat
06-15-2006, 08:28 PM
sorry, this one is the record.

trsent
06-15-2006, 08:36 PM
sorry, this one is the record.

Maybe Bill Hall bought it himself, it is a tax write off.

indyred
06-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Is there any confirmed # each player got made for themselves.....On a side note on them....I did visit Louisville Slugger factory today and seen a few pink bats on the factory floor......I guess I'll have to be happy with the retail model I got inscribed Mother's Day 2006....There is 3-4 week wait on the pink retail orders, and when mine showed up at my house it was from there NY address, so they must be doing them up there for the general public.....I go by factory/museum quite a bit and keep hoping they would be smart enough to put a few retail pink one's in the gift shop, but they haven't......I'm hoping a bunch of game issued one's surface at some point....With how popular this has become, I hope they do this every mother's day....

indyred
06-21-2006, 06:44 PM
The David Wright is already on the secondary market!

http://cgi.ebay.com/David-Wright-mothers-day-game-used-signed-pink-bat_W0QQitemZ8828300735QQihZ005QQcategoryZ60596QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,
Went for less than half it did on MLB auctions..didn't meet his reserve......

indyred
07-02-2006, 09:59 AM
So is MLB auctions all done with these. Haven't seen any up for awhile now.

pietraynor
09-10-2006, 07:14 AM
Several more G/U pink bats up for auction on MLB.com including some Rangers (Young, Mench, Tex, etc)..some team signed bats as well. Jay

MSpecht
09-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Just a quick check through Ebay and a couple auction houses....for about the cost of the Bill Hall bat you could have gotten seventeen game-used bats of the following Hall of Famers, many of which were signed

Clemente (1965-68) $7500, Kaline (1955-60) $3000, Whitey Ford (late 1950s) $2500, Ashburn (1961-62) $2500, Yaz (1964) $1500, Gwynn (1987 AS) $1400, Puckett (1991-97) $1150, Brooks Robinson (1965-68) $1044, Ripken (1989) $850, Billy Williams (Bicent) $850, Schmidt (1980) $837, Yount (1991-97) $600, Fisk (1986-89) $535, Ozzie Smith (1991-97) $500, Boggs (1999) $500, Winfield (1981) $383, and Murray (1999) $355..

Note: I am not making any statements about the importance of the named charity...Just an observation.

Happy Mother's Day

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

indyred
09-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Several more G/U pink bats up for auction on MLB.com including some Rangers (Young, Mench, Tex, etc)..some team signed bats as well. Jay
I see most are Texas player's. They all look pretty clean to me. I don't think Texas or Boston got to use them at even a later date.