PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Winfield jersey on EBay...

reed1216
08-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Any thoughts on this one....?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120460191859&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

hblakewolf
08-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Wrong Wilson tag for a 1985 jersey. That silver tag was first incorporated on Wilson baseball jerseys in 1986.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

reed1216
08-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks Howard!! I had a feeling it was too good to be true, but I wanted to run it by here, just to make sure. Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate your expert opinion.

ifirocked
08-18-2009, 02:07 PM
I was thinking the size was a bit small as well for such a big man as Dave.

bronx_burner
08-19-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm trying to learn more about what to look for in Jerseys before I take the plunge. I have a couple questions I guess concerning fakes. I've gone through the excellent tagging threads in the educational thread forum so I know that the tag is noted to be from 86at the earliest as per the Wilson tag thread. And I've seen '85 Yankees shirts with the correct tag. So assuming that this shirt is some sort of fake, how exactly are these achieved? I guess this could be achieved through a blank official jersey or renumbered jersey. I'm wondering more about the name tag in the shirt collar. Looking at this old American memorabilia auction:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=14300

It would seem the font and spacing are perfect matches. Forgive my naivity, is there some sort of machine that stitched this stuff in perfectly that the makers of such fake jerseys are utilizing and then adding these name tag into the neck? That would certainly explain it enough to me, although it will probably also keep me that much further away from buying jerseys.

rose14
08-20-2009, 01:18 PM
I can tell you that the size is most likely correct unless Winfield went up a size later in his playing days. I have owned two different Winfield game used jerseys; 1978 San Diego Padres and a 1979 San Diego Padres. Both of those were size 44.

suave1477
08-21-2009, 12:18 AM
From personal experieince of handling 80's Yankees Jerseys.

The neck tag is completley wrong. Wrong Matierial and I do believe wrong stitching font. Example - As if someone tried to copy the old style stitching font.

CollectGU
08-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Actually, neck tagging material appears correct as does the font. I've attached a font comparison. What did you base your opinion on? I know necks are opened up on these jerseys and swatches inserted but where would that swatch come from? A pair of pants perhaps?

Dave