PDA

View Full Version : dave concepcion game used jersey?

MUSEOVEN
08-19-2009, 07:27 AM
hello: please check this dave concepcion game used jersey

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dave-Concepcion-Cincinnati-Reds-game-worn-home-jersey_W0QQitemZ230368966196QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVin tage_Sports_Memorabilia?hash=item35a30f7634&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

sox83cubs84
08-19-2009, 08:13 PM
hello: please check this dave concepcion game used jersey

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dave-Concepcion-Cincinnati-Reds-game-worn-home-jersey_W0QQitemZ230368966196QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVin tage_Sports_Memorabilia?hash=item35a30f7634&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It's from the era, but it's not a team-issued jersey. Reds replicas/samples were all over the place in the mid/late 1970s, many of which came from one Midwestern seller, last name of Stanton, who sold them as replicas, but couldn't do anything about it when his buyers, in turn, sold them. The giveaway on Rawlings Reds fakes like this is the lightly laundry markered size notation on the front right tail near the seam (which, strangely enough, the seller gives us a close-up of in his photos).

Dave M.
Chicago area

gingi79
08-20-2009, 06:22 AM
It's from the era, but it's not a team-issued jersey. Reds replicas/samples were all over the place in the mid/late 1970s, many of which came from one Midwestern seller, last name of Stanton, who sold them as replicas, but couldn't do anything about it when his buyers, in turn, sold them. The giveaway on Rawlings Reds fakes like this is the lightly laundry markered size notation on the front right tail near the seam (which, strangely enough, the seller gives us a close-up of in his photos).

Dave M.
Chicago area

Dave,

Has anyone notified the seller of this? He has perfect feedback and doesn't sound like a scammer. Maybe he was scammed into thinking this was real. I'd email him but I don't know anything about these Reds shirts.

Of course he could just be full of it. Anyone ever deal with the seller before?

joelsabi
08-21-2009, 12:03 PM

Dave M.
Chicago area

why is the seller saying "42 in black marker on front most likely clubhouse written." Was this a practice of the clubhouse back then.

sox83cubs84
08-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Joelsabi:

The seller may not know any better, but that is a size notation that appears on many Rawlings salesman's samples/replicas in the 1970s. I've seen the same notations, in similar handwriting and the same area of the jersey on Veeck-era White Sox home replicas as well.

Dave M.
Chicago area

lon lewis
08-21-2009, 05:48 PM
For those of you who have been following this thread, the jersey in question probably originated at Koch Sporting Goods located in Cincinnati. During the late '70's and early 80's they would get blank jerseys from each manufacturer ( Wilson, Rawlings, Goodman but no McAuliffe) letter them up for what ever team and sell those jerseys as replicas. The size was marked on the tail in order to make it easier to determine the size when the jerseys were on the storage shelves. Some of those jerseys have made it into the hobby over the years with various stories attached to them - somtimes refered to as "salesmans samples" which is sort of a code for "we don't use the word retail - this sounds more legitimate"
I do agree that the seller in this instance probably doesn't know any better on why the size is markered on the tail

Marichal27
08-21-2009, 06:30 PM
For those of you who have been following this thread, the jersey in question probably originated at Koch Sporting Goods located in Cincinnati. During the late '70's and early 80's they would get blank jerseys from each manufacturer ( Wilson, Rawlings, Goodman but no McAuliffe) letter them up for what ever team and sell those jerseys as replicas. The size was marked on the tail in order to make it easier to determine the size when the jerseys were on the storage shelves. Some of those jerseys have made it into the hobby over the years with various stories attached to them - somtimes refered to as "salesmans samples" which is sort of a code for "we don't use the word retail - this sounds more legitimate"
I do agree that the seller in this instance probably doesn't know any better on why the size is markered on the tail

Lon.........Didn't the Rawlings Reds jerseys have year flag tags at that time?

joelsabi
08-21-2009, 08:10 PM

this jersey looks better than the concepcion replicas i have seen with the same logo and number location. game used jerseys of concepcion are hard to come by and this could be a good alternative but if people are bidding as if this is a game used jersey, i wont compete.

is this jersey currently overpriced base on the assumption that its a game used jersey. this would you considered a retail jersey, correct?

joelsabi
08-21-2009, 08:13 PM
this jersey looks better than the concepcion replicas i have seen with the same logo and number location. game used jerseys of concepcion are hard to come by and this could be a good alternative but if people are bidding as if this is a game used jersey, i wont compete.

is this jersey currently overpriced base on the assumption that its a game used jersey. this would you considered a retail jersey, correct?

can someone surmise what grade mears would give for this jersey? would this be a Mears A5 or not?

both-teams-played-hard
08-21-2009, 09:35 PM
can someone surmise what grade mears would give for this jersey? would this be a Mears A5 or not?

Pre-1987, so it seems it must be "unable to authenticate".

Marichal27
08-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Pre-1987, so it seems it must be "unable to authenticate".
MEARS couldn't grade eggs!

joelsabi
08-24-2009, 09:45 PM
i guess the seller pulled it.