PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion. How would you go about...

BergerKing22784
08-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Hey everyone. So we all hear those stories of baseball cards found in some old ladies garage or someones great great grandfather has passed down a Babe Ruth signed ball etc.

Well this is one of those stories. My buddies father Great uncle passed him down a signed Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig photo! We are going to a James Spence authenticator on Saturday to have it authenticated. He is sure it will come up as authentic as someone in the family got it many years ago themselves.

My question is after its authenticated whats everyones suggestion for getting maxium profit/exposure?

Should we use ebay and use every one of there bells and whistle listings with many pictures? Ones that get it as a featured item and all that jazz?

Or should he use an auction house? If so which auction house is local enough to the DC/Maryland area that is going to have an auction soon?

I am trying to help him sell it and Im sure I could set him up a nice ebay auction but I am not sure if that method would get him the most money?

Any help on the best way to sell this photo for my buddy would be apperciated.

Also if anyone is interested in tracking the photos progress once we figure out a method/means to sell it hit me up via email and I will let you know which way we choose.

Thanks
Brian

brian.berger@cablespeed.com

CollectGU
08-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Can you post some pictures of the photo and the signatures. The value of the item will greatly depend on the quality of the signatures and the quality of the photo...Also, what uniforms are they wearing..I'm hoping it's not one of those barnstorming reprints.

Dave

rj_lucas
08-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Just my two cents, but I would absolutely go the auction house route and stay away from eBay.

Lelands is just south of Long Island, and has a catalog auction in November. Cutoff is early September. I don't know that they'd be my first choice, but they're in your neck of the woods and the timing is right.

Good luck with it, what a great find.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Vintagedeputy
08-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Its not the bustin Babes / Larooping Lou's photo, is it?

ironmanfan
08-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Its not the bustin Babes / Larooping Lou's photo, is it?

I was thinking the exact same thing......there are a ton of these floating around and since they depict "two signatures" for each player, a lot of people have been fooled thinking one set of the signatures are original ones.....

Let's hope that's not the case here.

suicide_squeeze
08-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Can you post some pictures of the photo and the signatures. The value of the item will greatly depend on the quality of the signatures and the quality of the photo...Also, what uniforms are they wearing..I'm hoping it's not one of those barnstorming reprints.

Dave

Case in point right here (above) from Dave.

PLEASE post a picture or two of the photo so we can give you proper advice.

If the signatures are (of course authentic, and...) good quality and well preserved, the ONLY way to go is a major auction house as Rick suggested.

After you post the photo, I'll give you my recommendation. If it's a shockingly nice photo, contact Robert Lifson at Robert Edwards Auctions, and tell him Steve Mears sent you. He'll give you a very reasonable seller's fee for it.

Whatever condition it's in, forget ebay. That would be a mistake for a true vintage nice item.

BergerKing22784
08-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks guys... I will get pictures for you as soon as I can...

BergerKing22784
08-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the info guys.... Well he just sent me pictures of the photo and yeah I wasnt sure if to laugh as he got me good with a really good joke or if he was being serious... The autographs wernt even close. I think the Babe Ruth forgery in the Sandlot movie was better than this one!

Thanks for the help guys, glad I took a look at the autographs before he plopped down a couple hundred dollars for authentication!

Brian