PDA

View Full Version : Question about ebay seller 13alexrodriguez

grenda12
08-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Anyone ever dealt with him? Sure seems like he has a lot of Rawlings game used issued gloves.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/ALEXRODRIGUEZ13-MEMORABILIA__W0QQ_sidZ132741207?_nkw=glove&submit=Search

frikativ54
08-27-2009, 06:50 PM
I saw that. The Biggio glove (http://cgi.ebay.com/CRAIG-BIGGIO-GAME-ISSUED-USED-GLOVE-RAWLINGS-ASTROS_W0QQitemZ290343028296QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4399cb0648&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) that he is selling looks stitched a bit weird. It's almost as if Biggio is stitched higher than Craig, and it looks a little off.

Something about that seller makes me nervous, especially his propensity to offer items via private auctions.

spartakid
08-27-2009, 07:24 PM
I've been looking for fielding gloves and have noticed this as well. I only want game used so it's not an issue, but something's not kosher here. Although, at least he's not doctoring them and selling them as game used.....

suave1477
08-28-2009, 02:58 PM
If you do a search there is I believe a few threads on him.

In my own personal opinion. I think he is a reputable to the best of his ability dealer.

TAFKADixie
08-28-2009, 07:41 PM
I bought a Tyler Colvin Reebok from him. No idea if it's actually legit or not as I have no way to tell.

grenda12
08-28-2009, 08:20 PM
If you do a search there is I believe a few threads on him.

In my own personal opinion. I think he is a reputable to the best of his ability dealer.

I did a search on him and only one other thread came up. Thanks!

metsbats
08-28-2009, 08:30 PM
I purchased an Carlos Delgado game issued bat autographed to Luis Castillio while they were teammates with the Marlins from this seller.

No problems and item was just as described.

markize
08-28-2009, 08:49 PM
I did a search on him and only one other thread came up. Thanks!

Liz,

you may have only gotten one result because he has changed his ebay ID several times. Just check his ebay ID history, I think you may find a coulpe more threads.

Mark

frikativ54
08-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Liz,

you may have only gotten one result because he has changed his ebay ID several times. Just check his ebay ID history, I think you may find a coulpe more threads.

Mark

I am always suspicious of sellers that need to change their IDs. What's the compelling reason, unless you are hiding from someone?

chakes89
08-28-2009, 11:57 PM
I am always suspicious of sellers that need to change their IDs. What's the compelling reason, unless you are hiding from someone?
Boredom? Desire to change?

I wish I could change my name on here to JayBruceFan or JayBruceCollector.

frikativ54
08-29-2009, 01:13 AM
I went through Getty Images, and these were the only two pictures where I could make out the stitching of Craig Biggio's name. However, neither of the gloves had stitching at the angle of the glove shown by 13alexrodriguez. The one one on eBay seemed to not have the first and last name stitched evenly.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/CBidge.jpg

Biggio photo one

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/CBidge2.jpg

Biggio photo two

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/CBidgearod.jpg

13alexrodriguez "game issued" glove on eBay.

Let me know what you think.

hblakewolf
08-29-2009, 06:11 AM
I went through Getty Images, and these were the only two pictures where I could make out the stitching of Craig Biggio's name. However, neither of the gloves had stitching at the angle of the glove shown by 13alexrodriguez. The one one on eBay seemed to not have the first and last name stitched evenly.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/CBidge.jpg

Biggio photo one

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/CBidge2.jpg

Biggio photo two

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/CBidgearod.jpg

13alexrodriguez "game issued" glove on eBay.

Let me know what you think.

Lester-

What do I think?

I think instead of continuing to try to defame this seller and his glove, did it ever dawn on you to forward your concerns and also seek additional photos of the glove and specifically the embroidered name from him?

Your shoot first and aim later approach on this site grows extremely old.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

markize
08-29-2009, 07:47 AM
I do agree with Howard that the embroidery could be a result of the angle of the picture. I have a bigger concern, and it is the lack of circular Rawlings logo on the outside of the pocket/webb on the Biggio glove in the Getty picture that is present on the ebay glove. Obviously, the laces could have been restrung in black so the difference in lace color doesn't matter much to me.

Mark

allstarsplus
08-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Just some stats. 37 game issued gloves all made by Rawlings. 8 of the 37 are Alex Rodriguez game issued gloves. 29 gloves are other player's gloves.

Are these truly game issued gloves and how were they acquired? There are a lot of Rawlings game issued gloves on eBay currently and many are by other sellers.

There was a similar disscussion about Cal Ripken Rawlings gloves that were embroidered and looked like the type Cal used on the field.

suave1477
08-29-2009, 09:46 AM

Well just to let know for this seller he changed his name from mannyramirez to alexrodriguez because he was selling a lot of manny's items but is now selling primarily arods items so it made sense for him to change his name for marketing reasons

suave1477
08-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Also not that i am saying these are real or not but I think some people are missing an important piece to the puzzle that the seller is selling these as Game Issued not used, which can be a reason why your not going to see an exact match.

Just an example:

For all we know these could of been defect gloves that were issued to the player and the player didnt want them / gave them back to whoever because they didn't want them for that reason. Maybe due to wrong color, stitching, etc......

metsbats
08-29-2009, 10:48 AM
"Game used" fielding gloves are rare however the number of gloves a player may receive from the manufacturers are not. This is from the book "The Worse Team Money Can Buy" written by NY sports writers Bob Klapish and John Harper.

"Dwight Gooden has so many factory-fresh gloves and spikes, courtesy of the companies with which he had endorsement deals, that a visit to his locker was like walking into a sportings-goods store. "Need one?" Gooden would casually ask a reporter, producing a glove so new you couldn't help but press the leather to your nose just for that terrific smell."

The numbers are probably the same if not more these days as players knowing the demand for their memorabilia can turn around and sell the extra's for pocket change.

JETEFAN
08-29-2009, 01:05 PM
We were told by one of the administrators on this forum that these gloves were part of a collection belonging to an "executive" with Rawlings. I will not mention the administrator sinse he/she has not responded to this thread. If this is in fact true, I find it very doubtful that these gloves ever got anywhere near the players. I also noticed that almost all the gloves have the same manufacture code date "EKES29" :cool:. I always thought the Rawlings manufacture coding consisted of 4 leters (BLACKHORSE) system. These gloves howerver have 4 letters and 2 numbers, could anyone comment......

George

grenda12
08-29-2009, 01:13 PM
We were told by one of the administrators on this forum that these gloves were part of a collection belonging to an "executive" with Rawlings. I will not mention the administrator sinse he/she has not responded to this thread. If this is in fact true, I find it very doubtful that these gloves ever got anywhere near the players. I also noticed that almost all the gloves have the same manufacture code date "EKES29" :cool:. I always thought the Rawlings manufacture coding consisted of 4 leters (BLACKHORSE) system. These gloves howerver have 4 letters and 2 numbers, could anyone comment......

George

Thats the other thing I was wondering about because the EKES is 05/09 but what is the 29 for and why does this guy have several gloves with this date code on it.

grenda12
08-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Thats the other thing I was wondering about because the EKES is 05/09 but what is the 29 for and why does this guy have several gloves with this date code on it.

The guy has at least 10 glove with this date code (EKES29).

NYCrulesU
08-29-2009, 02:13 PM
I simply choose to steer clear of this seller and his items to avoid any future frustration. Nice stuff to look at though.

cigarman44
08-29-2009, 04:53 PM
I asked the guy if the Bernie Williams, Biggio and Edmonds all had the EKES29 stamp. Would seem pretty odd seeing how Biggio and Williams have been retired for a few years and just had gloves made 3 months ago. Edmonds hasn't played this year either. I can't remember seeing a glove with his name on it. Most of his just had his number 15 but I could be wrong.

cigarman44
08-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Looks like the "EKES29" is on the Williams and Edmonds (couldnt tell on my small phone pics) IMHO I'd stay away from these. Probably never in the same building as these players.

frikativ54
08-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Looks like the "EKES29" is on the Williams and Edmonds (couldnt tell on my small phone pics) IMHO I'd stay away from these. Probably never in the same building as these players.

What would you call these gloves, if not game issued? Are they considered game model gloves, special productions, or something else?

Thanks for your help.

cigarman44
08-29-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't know what to call them. I was on their site and you can customize any of their gloves. I emailed them to see if you can put any MLB players name on them. If you can, then for around 250-450 bucks you can have your own "game issued" glove to sell for 1000+

frikativ54
08-29-2009, 07:50 PM
I don't know what to call them. I was on their site and you can customize any of their gloves. I emailed them to see if you can put any MLB players name on them. If you can, then for around 250-450 bucks you can have your own "game issued" glove to sell for 1000+

I don't believe that you can put MLB players' names on gloves. It's strictly prohibited.

cigarman44
08-29-2009, 07:55 PM
I don't believe that you can put MLB players' names on gloves. It's strictly prohibited.

Well with all of them having the same production date, they must have someone on the inside. Unless it's standard for player to be issued glove 2-3 years after retirement. :cool:

spartakid
08-29-2009, 08:56 PM

Can't you just go to an embroidery place and have them do it for you? Due to the fact that there's basically no way to trace who did the embroidery, if it even is prohibited, I can't imagine that you couldn't find someone to do it.

grenda12
08-29-2009, 09:11 PM

Can't you just go to an embroidery place and have them do it for you? Due to the fact that there's basically no way to trace who did the embroidery, if it even is prohibited, I can't imagine that you couldn't find someone to do it.

You can have custom gloves made to look like the players glove and have them embroidered too. The site that I found is http://www.customglove.com/ but they only specialize in Rawlings, Mizuno, Glovesmith, and SSK.

frikativ54
08-29-2009, 09:37 PM
We were told by one of the administrators on this forum that these gloves were part of a collection belonging to an "executive" with Rawlings. I will not mention the administrator sinse he/she has not responded to this thread. If this is in fact true, I find it very doubtful that these gloves ever got anywhere near the players.

If this is substantiated, could the administrator please comment on the thread. Does this executive have special access to these gloves, where he could give his gloves to 13alexrodriguez, make him a deal, and walk away with more "game issued" gloves on the market?

allstarsplus
08-29-2009, 11:02 PM
If this is substantiated, could the administrator please comment on the thread. Does this executive have special access to these gloves, where he could give his gloves to 13alexrodriguez, make him a deal, and walk away with more "game issued" gloves on the market?

If the gloves were never ordered by the player and never made it to the clubhouse, then aren't these just game model gloves and NOT game issued?

:confused:

frikativ54
08-29-2009, 11:08 PM
If the gloves were never ordered by the player and never made it to the clubhouse, then aren't these just game model gloves and NOT game issued?

:confused:

I think so. What about if they are ordered by the player, but not received by him, meaning that there was an extra made for him, but never sent?

chakes89
08-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Can anyone explain a glove that this seller had up about a month or two ago?

He had a Phil Dumatrait glove available. It was a right handed throwers glove and Dumatrait is a lefty

Now that was funny

MannyRamirez
08-30-2009, 01:00 AM
I'll add that the week before Manny got suspended for 50 games I bought a Ramirez autographed bat from this seller. He was selling "more than 10" of them as a Buy It Now and certified by Elite Sports Marketing. However, when I got the bat it didn't have the ESM hologram anywhere on it. The seller told me if I returned the bat, he would put an ESM hologram on it and return the same bat. I was uneasy about this since who knows how long ago he signed it and how many hands it has been through. I didn't want it authenticated with a hologram at anytime except right after the signing is witnessed so I just returned it. IN fairness, the seller gave me a refund and did seem shocked (via email) that the hologram was missing.

chakes89
08-30-2009, 01:12 AM
So the seller just has a roll of ESM Holograms lying around?

Thats nice :eek:

NYCrulesU
08-30-2009, 01:25 AM

You beat me to it. I'll reiterate what I said before. It's probably best to steer clear of this seller and his items now to avoid any grief and frustration later. Far too many red flags.

frikativ54
08-30-2009, 01:55 PM
You beat me to it. I'll reiterate what I said before. It's probably best to steer clear of this seller and his items now to avoid any grief and frustration later. Far too many red flags.

You are right about that. I just got off the phone with glove authenticator, Denny Esken, and he told me that the gloves are real, but misrepresented. In other words, the gloves are pro-model, but not game issued. They never made it anywhere near the players and were not ordered on their behalf.

To the contrary, a player like David Wright has not used a Rawlings model since his rookie year. This batch of gloves was made this year, and after the retirement of someone like Craig Biggio, making these gloves clearly pro-model, but not game issued. If you want a glove really made for a pro, I would stay away from 13alexrodriguez's offerings.

cigarman44
08-30-2009, 02:09 PM
You are right about that. I just got off the phone with glove authenticator, Denny Esken, and he told me that the gloves are real, but misrepresented. In other words, the gloves are pro-model, but not game issued. They never made it anywhere near the players and were not ordered on their behalf.

To the contrary, a player like David Wright has not used a Rawlings model since his rookie year. This batch of gloves was made this year, and after the retirement of someone like Craig Biggio, making these gloves clearly pro-model, but not game issued. If you want a glove really made for a pro, I would stay away from 13alexrodriguez's offerings.

Thanks for the info Frik! Kinda what I expected.

NYCrulesU
08-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks Frik! Great community here.

allstarsplus
08-30-2009, 04:00 PM

Very cool that you can get Denny on the phone and glad to hear his opinion.

I wanted a custom glove for one of my sons when he was 14 and wanted a Jose' Reyes model in a 10 3/4 size which I couldn't find anywhere. I put in a request through an equipment manager with a MLB team who ordered the exact glove for me with my son's name stitched in. The cost was $175 which was much less than I was willing to pay, and my son was really surprised by it.

Now then, if someone wants a great game model (near player spec) glove, some of this seller's gloves that are on the regular auction can be had for a good price and probably below cost.

I have seen other seller's on eBay with Rawlings "game issued" unused gloves and wondering the authenticity of them.

Here's one that I am personally researching:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ryan-Zimmerman-Nationals-non-game-used-fielders-glove_W0QQitemZ360182886261QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item53dc92af75&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

grenda12
08-30-2009, 04:54 PM
I sent the eBay seller a question.

I asked, Could you tell me what the EKES29 stands for?

He replied, Player code Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

I then asked, Could you specify that further.

He then replied, ts a game glove
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

I asked, Could you specify the EKES29 being a player code.

No reply back on that one.

FENWAY
08-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Code is May 2009...the 29 is the factory. Pathetic

frikativ54
08-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Very cool that you can get Denny on the phone and glad to hear his opinion.

I wanted a custom glove for one of my sons when he was 14 and wanted a Jose' Reyes model in a 10 3/4 size which I couldn't find anywhere. I put in a request through an equipment manager with a MLB team who ordered the exact glove for me with my son's name stitched in. The cost was $175 which was much less than I was willing to pay, and my son was really surprised by it.

That is pretty cool. I bet a lot of kids wish you were their Dad. :p

Now then, if someone wants a great game model (near player spec) glove, some of this seller's gloves that are on the regular auction can be had for a good price and probably below cost.

Hard to say. Remember that players who order these gloves only have to pay retail value for their own gloves, which is about $200. It is doubtful that these gloves will go below cost, hence, why 13alexrodriguez was selling them.

I have seen other seller's on eBay with Rawlings "game issued" unused gloves and wondering the authenticity of them.

Here's one that I am personally researching:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ryan-Zimmerman-Nationals-non-game-used-fielders-glove_W0QQitemZ360182886261QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item53dc92af75&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Check out the date code, EOES2_ (can't tell last number). That means that this glove was manufactured in July of 2009. Does Ryan Zimmerman currently use a Rawlings glove? Looking at GettyImages, it appears that he does indeed.

So it is perfectly likely that he did indeed order this glove fairly recently. However, I don't know if there's any way to tell for sure. Sorry that I don't know any more than that.

frikativ54
08-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Here is more information on the Rawlings date codes:

EB is 01
EL is 02
EA is 03
EC is 04
EK is 05
EH is 06
EO is 07
ER is 08
ES is 09
BE is 10
BB is 11
BO is 12

The two numbers after the four letter date code specify the factory. Simply put, the seller is either ignorant about the date codes or dissembling about what he has.

These gloves are clearly not game-issued as he states. For example, the Manny Ramirez glove (http://cgi.ebay.com/MANNY-RAMIREZ-GAME-ISSUED-USED-GLOVE-RAWLINGS-DODGERS_W0QQitemZ290343028379QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4399cb069b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)'s date code is EKES28, making this a 2009 glove. However, Manny has been under contract with Akadema, not Rawlings, for the past several years.

Why would Manny Ramirez order a shipment of Rawlings gloves when he is under contract with another glove manufacturer?

allstarsplus
08-30-2009, 05:29 PM
That is pretty cool. I bet a lot of kids wish you were their Dad. :p

Hard to say. Remember that players who order these gloves only have to pay retail value for their own gloves, which is about $200. It is doubtful that these gloves will go below cost, hence, why 13alexrodriguez was selling them.

Check out the date code, EOES2_ (can't tell last number). That means that this glove was manufactured in July of 2009. Does Ryan Zimmerman currently use a Rawlings glove? Looking at GettyImages, it appears that he does indeed.

So it is perfectly likely that he did indeed order this glove fairly recently. However, I don't know if there's any way to tell for sure. Sorry that I don't know any more than that.

Frik - Thanks!

That is a similar glove to what Ryan Zim uses; however, he has 4 extras sitting on the top of his locker in clear view. So with that code showing July 2009 it makes no sense to me (IMHO) as he would give someone an extra from the top of his locker (I would think) but lets face it, all of his significant stuff is going to Locker Room Memorabilia so I have serious doubts.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/89780083/Getty-Images-Sport

The 2 big differences are the dark brown laces and the brown leather finger pad which isn't on his game gloves.

frikativ54
08-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Frik - Thanks!

That is a similar glove to what Ryan Zim uses; however, he has 4 extras sitting on the top of his locker in clear view. So with that code showing July 2009 it makes no sense to me (IMHO) as he would give someone an extra from the top of his locker (I would think) but lets face it, all of his significant stuff is going to Locker Room Memorabilia so I have serious doubts.

The 2 big differences are the dark brown laces and the brown leather finger pad which isn't on his game gloves.

Given that information, I would stay away from this glove. Especially since there are gloves sold by 13alexrodriguez that are also Rawlings, and also recently produced, that appear to be made for reasons other than player request. Do you have a picture of Zimmerman's locker with the gloves?

allstarsplus
08-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Given that information, I would stay away from this glove. Especially since there are gloves sold by 13alexrodriguez that are also Rawlings, and also recently produced, that appear to be made for reasons other than player request. Do you have a picture of Zimmerman's locker with the gloves?

I'm not pulling out my camera in the locker room or it will be my last time in there!

I am very discreet inside/outside the clubhouse because no pictures, no autographs, etc.

This is my 3rd oldest son who got to go down with me to the clubhouse.

I took former Redskin Lavar Arrington to the game and down to the locker room and took his photo with Adam Dunn.

emann
08-30-2009, 06:40 PM

I've suspected something like this due to an issue with a different seller actually. I'd guess that ESM had some sort of deal going with certain sellers as "ESM resellers or representatives" and gave them holograms and the ability to manufacture ESM COAs as needed.

It's why if I get any item with an ESM holo (and I need to be pretty sure about it before buying), I just peel it off and toss it in the trash.

frikativ54
08-30-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm not pulling out my camera in the locker room or it will be my last time in there!

I am very discreet inside/outside the clubhouse because no pictures, no autographs, etc.

This is my 3rd oldest son who got to go down with me to the clubhouse.

I took former Redskin Lavar Arrington to the game and down to the locker room and took his photo with Adam Dunn.

Oh, wow! I thought that when you said the gloves were on top of his locker, that you could show a GettyImages picture. After all, I didn't have time to sift through all the Zimmerman photos.

I didn't know you had access to the locker room. Thought you just saw pics or interviews on TV. You must have some pretty good connections. :p

allstarsplus
08-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Oh, wow! I thought that when you said the gloves were on top of his locker, that you could show a GettyImages picture. After all, I didn't have time to sift through all the Zimmerman photos.

I didn't know you had access to the locker room. Thought you just saw pics or interviews on TV. You must have some pretty good connections. :p

Unfortunately, no official credentials. I get Game Day credentials and try not to do it too often as I don't want to wear out the "welcome mat" just like getting field passes. They are very discreet on credentials and plenty of security cameras so I am appreciative for the opportunity and don't want to step out of line so if I take a photo it will be on my camera cell phone with no flash!

grenda12
08-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Code is May 2009...the 29 is the factory. Pathetic

I knew the date code already, was trying to find out if he knew it. Obviously he didnt.

ndevlin
08-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Holy Smokes! This thread went further than what I expected days ago.

Re-read this thread and ask yourself if you want to bother spending money on these gloves? I wouldnt.

The gloves were either game issued or supposedly made for that player. Now that does not interest me one bit, especially when the seller has a nice quantity of these gloves. But I know some of you guys(and gals) like buying "un-used" items, so whatever makes you happy.

Either way, you guys are answering all of your own questions. Just dont buy the gloves...

allstarsplus
08-30-2009, 07:59 PM
I knew the date code already, was trying to find out if he knew it. Obviously he didnt.

Grenda - I read the back & forth below and I am not convinced that "Obviously he didn't" know what the codes meant although it is possible. If he admitted to it then wouldn't we expect him to update most of the auctions to state what some of these gloves really are??????? Am I missing something here?

frikativ54
08-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Just reported the seller's gloves. I would encourage you to do the same. Whether he knows the date code or not, he's misrepresenting these gloves as game-issued, when they are actually game model items. Deception is deception, even if the seller intended otherwise.

allstarsplus
08-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Frik - Thanks!

Frik - The seller on the Zim glove has changed the description properly to a game model glove, and we have also exchanged emails on it.

Revised Aug-30-0918:28:17 PDT Description

-

frikativ54
08-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Frik - The seller on the Zim glove has changed the description properly to a game model glove, and we have also exchanged emails on it.

Revised Aug-30-0918:28:17 PDT Description

-

That's good to hear. I honestly believe that some sellers simply don't know the difference. However, with 13alexrodriguez, by reading the listings, I would speculate that he does know what he's doing.

suicide_squeeze
08-30-2009, 11:35 PM
That's good to hear. I honestly believe that some sellers simply don't know the difference. However, with 13alexrodriguez, by reading the listings, I would speculate that he does know what he's doing.

Of course he knows Les.

Unfortunately for him, so do all of you.

cigarman44
08-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Just got a response from Rawlings. They told me you can not use a MLB players first and last name on a glove. However, you can use first initial and last name, or nickname. Here was his example:

Albert Pujols - Not acceptable
Pujols - Accetable
A. Pujols - Acceptable
El Hombre - Acceptable

Still leaves the door open for scam artist...

allstarsplus
08-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Just got a response from Rawlings. They told me you can not use a MLB players first and last name on a glove. However, you can use first initial and last name, or nickname. Here was his example:

Albert Pujols - Not acceptable
Pujols - Accetable
A. Pujols - Acceptable
El Hombre - Acceptable

Still leaves the door open for scam artist...

You cannot order Albert Pujols through the "Build a custom glove" link, but if you are a player, player's rep, clubhouse manager, team official, agent, etc., you are able to order custom gloves for your player(s).

The question is, how does someone get dozens of player model Rawlings gloves when these may not have come directly through a legitimate player order?????

I called Rawlings today and they were kind enough to take me through Ryan Zimmerman's personal glove order and he didn't order 1 glove with what they call the "gel pad" or I refer to as the finger pad on the top of the glove so how do you explain that the glove got on eBay? Other than the gel pad and color of the laces, the glove itself was the exact model and size that Ryan did personally order and the exact player red script embroidery on the glove too.

This is becoming that XBat problem of sorts that people think they are buying legit game issued and getting something that was never intended for the player.

NYCrulesU
08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Has anyone contacted the seller directly, perhaps to see if he intends to change the descriptions of his listings?

frikativ54
08-31-2009, 11:05 PM
The question is, how does someone get dozens of player model Rawlings gloves when these may not have come directly through a legitimate player order?????

If you ask me, Rawlings should look into this. Something is amiss here, and for the good of collectors, something should be done about this situation.

I called Rawlings today and they were kind enough to take me through Ryan Zimmerman's personal glove order and he didn't order 1 glove with what they call the "gel pad" or I refer to as the finger pad on the top of the glove so how do you explain that the glove got on eBay? Other than the gel pad and color of the laces, the glove itself was the exact model and size that Ryan did personally order and the exact player red script embroidery on the glove too.

That's great that you were able to talk to someone at Rawlings. I wish I had that kind of access to my favorite player's personal glove orders. Have you tried emailing the seller of the Zimmerman glove and asking him how he obtained it?

allstarsplus
08-31-2009, 11:16 PM
Have you tried emailing the seller of the Zimmerman glove and asking him how he obtained it?

Yes, Kim and I emailed back and forth which prompted him to change his description. He didn't tell me how he obtained it but Kim is a very honest guy so I am sure he was not trying to mis-represent anything.

thomecollector
08-31-2009, 11:45 PM
Andrew,
Could you drop me a line? I have a question for you. Thanks,Roger

sarahsdad
09-07-2009, 08:05 AM
American Memorabilia has 8-10 of these same gloves in their current auction. They are contained under the "Game Used" and "Baseball Unsigned" categories. I do not know if they were/are the same ones that were recently posted on Ebay or a different batch.
Sarahsdad

allstarsplus
09-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Interesting. Another 13 "Game Issued" Rawlings gloves.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auctions.asp?aucsearch=glove+player%2Dissued&AucListType=open&TitleDesc=1&period=&offset=0

The detail on the Pujols and Jeter is amazing. For the die-hard collector for some of these players, if the prices don't go crazy these do make a nice collectible.

The question still is, are these really "game issued" gloves by the definition of game issued?

Here is the link to a picture of the Jeter:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/pics/51971_04_lg.jpg

frikativ54
09-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Interesting. Another 13 "Game Issued" Rawlings gloves.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auctions.asp?aucsearch=glove+player%2Dissued&AucListType=open&TitleDesc=1&period=&offset=0

The detail on the Pujols and Jeter is amazing. For the die-hard collector for some of these players, if the prices don't go crazy these do make a nice collectible.

The question still is, are these really "game issued" gloves by the definition of game issued?

Here is the link to a picture of the Jeter:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/pics/51971_04_lg.jpg

These are the exact same gloves as were sold by 13alexrodriguez. Same players, same gloves, same auctions. Again, these never got to the player, so there is no chance that these are any other than "game model" gloves. For die-hard collectors, I would recommend staying away until you see a genuine game-issued glove.

WadeInBmore
09-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Ball Park Heroes had one similar to the Teixeira for sale not too long ago and it sold as issued for over 500...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360180007703&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

As a guy who once played with and against Mark, a $100 opening bid for a game issued glove IS quite appealing. However, it does make me wonder where all these issued gloves are coming from? Did they get leaked from Rawlings? The current auction selection AND those found on the dreaded Bay seem to be almost any collectors dream...except for the fact that multiple issued gloves are hitting the market all at once.

wade

allstarsplus
09-07-2009, 09:01 PM
... seem to be almost any collectors dream...except for the fact that multiple issued gloves are hitting the market all at once.

wade

All Rawlings gloves too. Imagine that coincidence. But $100 to $250 for these gloves are a great price if you know what you are really buying. Most likely never made it into the player's locker IMHO.

frikativ54
09-07-2009, 09:17 PM
All Rawlings gloves too. Imagine that coincidence. But $100 to $250 for these gloves are a great price if you know what you are really buying. Most likely never made it into the player's locker IMHO.

But there's also the ethical issue: Would you buy a glove that possibly was created under suspicious circumstances and was made after some of the players had long since had their Rawlings contracts expired? I find it safe to speculate that something was amiss here, and that I wouldn't want to be any part of something crooked.

Personally speaking, I find the whole situation troubling, and the lack of answers equally bothersome. Before I would ever purchase something like this, I would contact Rawlings and find out if they were authorized by the players to produce these gloves. If so, then we have a different issue. If not, then I would never want to own a glove produced in such circumstances.

allstarsplus
09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
But there's also the ethical issue: Would you buy a glove that possibly was created under suspicious circumstances and was made after some of the players had long since had their Rawlings contracts expired? I find it safe to speculate that something was amiss here, and that I wouldn't want to be any part of something crooked.

Personally speaking, I find the whole situation troubling, and the lack of answers equally bothersome. Before I would ever purchase something like this, I would contact Rawlings and find out if they were authorized by the players to produce these gloves. If so, then we have a different issue. If not, then I would never want to own a glove produced in such circumstances.

I hear what you are saying. First of all, I am not buying or bidding on any of them because of a slew of reasons.

I have my suspicions on them as I stated in my opinion.

I researched that Ryan Zimmerman glove and if the price was right, I would buy it and display it as a game model glove. I know based on a call I made to Rawlings that the particular glove was not ordered by the player. The seller on that glove is calling it a Game Model glove. As Wade pointed out, the same seller sold a Teixeira which was sold more as an unsused game glove instead of as a game model glove and honestly I did no research on that Teixeira.

Calling some of these gloves "Game Issued" is most likely a joke and like you said an ethical issue. Caveat emptor.

allstarsplus
09-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Frik - Thanks!

The 2 big differences are the dark brown laces and the brown leather finger pad which isn't on his game glove.

You be the judge. I don't don't see the brown gel pad under his finger which would almost be stitched to within an inch or so from that RAWLINGS embroidery.

TAFKADixie
09-13-2009, 07:00 PM
I have a buddy who spoke to Tyler Colvin today and he said he has never seen, much less used or been issued a Reebok fielder's glove. I contacted the seller to see what kind of agreement we could reach as I purchased it as "game issued".

chakes89
09-15-2009, 02:33 PM
13alexrodriguez and BPH just keep cranking out the "Game Issued" gloves

It's starting to be more of a joke than anything

jshortt
09-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Had a similar conversation with Jay Bruce about 'his' glove that was offered. He had NO clue about it. He also said he couldn't recall ever ordering any Rawlings gloves with the full opening instead of the single finger, and told me I should stay away from it...thusly, I didn't go in on it.

-Josh