PDA

View Full Version : Historic Auctions, what is this?

LastingsMilledge85
08-28-2009, 01:33 AM
I bid on something on Historic and it said the bidding was closed for that item and an invoice would be sent. Minutes later I refreshed the page and there's another five minutes that was tacked on after the bidding was closed. I am the only bidder, Historic Auctions, what is this?

WadeInBmore
08-28-2009, 05:36 AM
Im glad someone else experienced my pain then LOL. I was the only bidder on an item and figured I had smooth sailing ahead of me...oops was I wrong. I guess the 15 minute rule allows you to vote on ANY item that they are offering. Who woulda thunk it!? The other thing I found interesting about this auction was that they kept adding items up to the day before the auction closed!!! I purchase items fairly frequently from historic but this is the first time that I've noticed the addition of items...and also the ability to get out bid on an item in the extra 15 minutes that I was the sole bidder once the auction closed. Oh well.

Wade

cohibasmoker
08-28-2009, 05:52 AM
Wade - I've experienced this dilemma before (not with Historic) and I have learned my lesson. What I've started doing is, once the auction is over and I'm the winner, I immediately print out the auction page as documentation that I was declared the winner. If there is an issue, I have the printed page as documentation. I don't throw the page out until I actually receive the item.

Jim

eagraham35
08-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Heritage Auctions will shut you out if you have not been a prior bidder. Once they enter the final "after auction" grace period, no one can bid on an item unless they have already previously done so. What item did you bid on with Historic?

WadeInBmore
08-28-2009, 02:13 PM
EAG...
I was bidding on the Ozzie Smith spring training uniform...at 9:24 I was the only bidder on the item and bidding had closed at 9 accept for the 15 minute grace extension period. Really didn't think I would've gotten outbid by someone who didn't bid on it while bidding was open. At that rate it's almost worth bidding on an item early that you know will sell for way more than you are willing to pay just so you could snipe all the items that you really are interested in once the 15 minute period opens up.

I thoroughly enjoy the auction process and will continue to participate in them, however it is just a tad disheartening...thats all. I like how Heritage locks people out...perhaps we will see a similar practice in future Historic auctions.

wade

LastingsMilledge85
08-28-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm just glad I ended up winning my item rightfully so, but the auction process and policy is awful and really isn;t fair when in my case the item did say that the bidding was closed and it opened back up right after.