PDA

View Full Version : Introductions- What do we collect?

vintagesportscollector
11-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi all- With the new forum figured it would be a good time to introduce ourselves as there may be a bunch of new faces. The old GUF vintage forum was a small group, but it was good to get to know everyone.

My name is Joe Kirschner. I live in NJ. Been collecting for about 8 years and I collect everything vintage...I have a hard time saying NO. All sports but mostly baseball. My expertise is early 1900s uniforms but I have a wide array of equipment and memorabilia.

http://www.geocities.com/vintagesportscollector/

-Joe

otismalibu
11-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Greetings,

I collect Julius Erving memorabilia (photos, posters, signed items, etc.) Still haven't managed to acquire any game used Dr. J. "stuff", but with 2 healthy kidneys, it's just a matter of time before I strike a deal with someone :)

http://www.geocities.com/otismalibu

-Greg

MdiddyAJ23Fan
11-22-2005, 05:54 PM
I collect Jerseys - but not really game worns because of two reasons 1) They generally don't fit me because I'm short and wide...lol and 2) they're too expensive. Maybe one day.

Mdiddy.

slidekellyslide
11-22-2005, 05:57 PM
My name is Dan Bretta and I collect just about anything related to baseball pre-1970. I specialize in Nebraska Minor league items especially Lincoln Athletics and Lincoln Chiefs (Western and Three I League). I also like just about anything and everything as regards to vintage equipment. And I also collect baseball photos.

Some of my collection can be seen here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/b331/nudan92/baseball%20room/

imlemonysnicket
11-22-2005, 06:52 PM
My name is Brett Lowman and I collect vintage baseball bats/gloves plus old basketball stuff as well. I got into the hobby by way of my dad - he's been collecting bats and gloves since 1990 - guess it's an inherited trait. I'd like to be able to spend more money on collecting but I'm a teacher in grad school with a wife full-time in pharmacy school. I love going to flea markets, antique shows, etc. and seeing what I can scrounge up. Here is a picture of a part of my collection:

baseballart
11-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Max Weder, Vancouver, BC

I have collected baseball books, fiction and non-fiction, since 1989. http://www.ettinger.ca/youknowmealdj.jpg

I also collect some baseball cards. "baseballart" is a reference to some of my spouse's baseball paintings (Jennifer Ettinger, http://www.ettinger.ca) one of which is shown here

http://www.ettinger.ca/mickeytarling.jpg

Max

Calrima
11-23-2005, 12:45 AM
My name is Dennis or Den for short and I love Game Used bats. I started in 1980 and have gotten back into it after a short time off. My pride and joys are in Uncracked form with nice game use.........

3 Pudge Bats
Frank Thomas
Gary Sheffield
Jose Canseco
Albert Belle

Some of these bats were purchased from our very own Forum members, so if your looking for something, give our online buddies a try!

Also if anyone wouldnt mind adding my link to their website, I could do the same in return as I have 2 slots open. Maybe this can help us all out?

My best
Den
http://hometown.aol.com/calrima/myhomepage/profile.html

mjkm90
11-23-2005, 06:00 AM
I'm Mike Hoevet. I have collected vintage cards and memorabilia since 1980. Like most I began with cards then moved into more displayable pieces over the years. I collect baseball items pre 1970 and specialize in bats. Anything with the right "look" will go into the collection. Here are a few examples of what I'm after.

aaron1050
11-23-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm Aaron (hey, guys--I finally made it over here!) and I focus mostly on 1910's - 1920's baseball memorabilia (pennants, pins, programs, postcards, baseballs, etc.), but also dabble in pre-1970 baseball, football and basketball memorabilia (including game-worn jerseys and caps).

--Aaron
http://aaronsroom.blogspot.com/

dmbbfan
11-23-2005, 03:10 PM
hi all. my name is craig. i collect pre-1969 iowa baseball anything, not the college. main focus is on des moines 1887-1969 and sioux city 1887-1950's. anything jerseys, cards, programs, post cards, cabinets, you name it i want it. kind of like a disease. anyone ever find anything vintage baseball and iowa anything, please let me know.

gatorcollector
11-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Hey everyone,
My name is Jay and I'm from DeLand, Florida (near Daytona). I collect Florida Gator sports memorabilia. I started out with football cards, then autographs. I am currently trying to collect autographs of every Gator to play in the NFL. I have over 150 so far with about 50 left to go. I started collecting jerseys about 5 years ago. I have gamers of Lomas Brown, Trace Armstrong, and Jacquez Green among others. Would love to hear from other Gator fans.

SMACKDOWN!!! Florida 34 FSU 7

scottanservitz
12-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Hi, Jay. My name is Scott Anservitz and I am from and still live in Ashtabula, Ohio. Your present Gator's coach Urban Meyers is from my hometown. My brother went to school with him. You have one heck of a coach and a good guy. I am an Ohio State fan, but now I find myself rooting for the Gators when it doesn't conflict with my Buckeyes. As for collecting, I have been into cards for 30 odd years, mostly baseball and football. I have a couple NFL jerseys that are game worn by Corey Dillon and Keenan McCardell, (both who passed the 10,000 yd. plateau this season), an Arod game used bat, a Manny game used bat, Griffey Jr. batting gloves, Albert Belle batting helmet to name some of my highlights. I like just about anything cool that I can somewhat afford. Anyway, this is a great forum that I have learned tons of things about the hobby from some really knowledgable people. Thanks for listening and Happy Holidays!
Scott

RobSteinmetz
12-07-2005, 08:51 PM
I've enjoyed lurking in this section for some time now - you guys have some great stuff! Most folks know me as a modern "game used" guy, but I have a personal collection of pre-1920 gloves. I have particular interest in high quality full webs, 1" webs, crescent pads, webless, and workman style gloves. Also interested in early baseballs and baseball vises.

Email me at authenticgamers@aol.com if you have anything interesting.

Thanks,

Rob Steinmetz

trsent
12-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Let's see, what do I collect. Bad checks, bad debts, bad girlfriends and bad life decisions?

Oh wait, you folks don't care about that stuff.

After too many years in the sports industry, I stopped collecting, but when I started doing private and public autograph sessions with professionals, I did start collecting personalized autographed photos signed: "To Joel"

My favorite is by Pete Rose:

Pretty cool inscription. Here are photos of my office walls:

acowan19
01-17-2006, 10:31 AM
I collect autographs primarily on single baseballs. I also collect rookie cards and tobacco cards. Currently, I am trying to get all the St Louis players (AL & NL) from the T206 set with all the back variations too. The two rarer backs I have are Carolina Brights and Broad Leaf 350.

Aaron Cowan

suave1477
01-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Well if you guys dont know by now ill tell you again lol lol, im a huge DARRYL STRAWBERRY collector, I have just about every baseball card ever produced for him, I have about 6 different jerseys ( not game used - these are to wear ) I have a couple of game used bats, I have a game used batting practice glove, about 6 autographed baseballs and a ton of autographed items. I have met him once before and again 2 days ago he was at a yankee autograph show in New Jersey. I am dying to get my hands on an authentic game used jersey ( from any team he played for ) / but I truly hope to BE ABLE TO GET MY HANDS ON A SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS GAME USED JERSEY OF DARRYL STRAWBERRY OR ONE TO WEAR - these are his most rarest jersey ever

BaseballGM
01-17-2006, 08:53 PM
I started in the 1970's collecting football cards and autographs. I like old Orioles items, Redskins and now, the Nationals stuff. In the 1990's I decided to collect Roberto Alomar items, game used and/or autographed. Thanks, Kevin

nycsports
02-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Hello all. My name is Matt 26, from NJ. About a year ago I started collecting vintage boxing memorabilia. I don't have a very big collection yet, but I am looking obtain more pieces soon. Here is what I have so far.

1. Muhammad Ali signed 16x20 photo
2. Rocky Marciano signed 11x14 page
3. Joe Louis signed magazine page
4. Jack Dempsey signed New York Knicks program
5. Joey Giardello signed pair of boxing gloves (one with "HOF 93" the other is inscribed "100 wins).
6. Mike Tyson signed 16x20 photo

suave1477
02-07-2006, 04:47 PM
well here is my follow up since my last post i have obtained 4 game used jerseys and one of them is super rare ( i have the only one ) and i am still looking for my ( unicorn jersey - meaning it is almost impossible to find ) a darryl strawberry san francisco giants game used jersey.

jwasserman
02-24-2006, 12:21 PM
My name is Jamie- I'm from Columbia, Maryland.

I collect Dwight Gooden items from 1983-85 as well as his minor league stuff (just need one more for a "master set"), TTM autographs of all sports as well as some politicians (got close to 200), and pre-war photography as well as other pre-war odds and ends.

vwtdi
02-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Hi all. I'm Keith O'Leary, 50, PA.

Baseball - I collect the 19th century tobacco champion sets (N28, N29 Allen & Ginter, N162 Goodwin, N184 Kimball), T3 Turkey Red, T200 Fatima, T222 Fatima, E95, E96 Philadelphia Caramel and have a type collection.

Other sports - N310 Mayo boxers, E75, E76 American Caramel boxers, T9 Turkey Red boxers.

Non sports - N2 Allen & Ginter Indians, N13 Allen & Ginter Game Birds, tobacco albums and premiums, tobacco banners, tobacco ad and counter cards.

Some of my collection can be seen here.

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=vwtdi

mjkm90
02-25-2006, 07:07 AM
Welcome Keith. I love the look of vintage tobacco advertising.

JasonM33
10-31-2006, 02:34 AM
My name is Jason and I've only just found this site. I only collect Jose Canseco stuff right now. I picked up an A's era Cooper game used bat about six or seven years ago. That's the only game used item I have so far. I do have a lot of other Canseco items like baseball cards, magazines and replica jerseys. I'm always on the lookout for interesting Canseco items.

Thanks

-Jason M

thomecollector
10-31-2006, 02:19 PM
My name is Roger Ward. I am originally from Cleveland,Ohio. I now live Newport News,Va. I know. What a stupid name for a city. Anyway. As you can tell by my name . I collect Jim Thome items . Game used mostly. I do collect tickets from games he homered in. I probably have close to 400 of
the 472 HR's .If anyone has any of either of the above items I might be interested in. Please feel free to email me. I will give a prompt response.
Thanks for you time. Roger thomecollector@cox.net

Vintagedeputy
10-31-2006, 02:31 PM
Thomecollector - we're nearly neighbors!

Jim Reynolds here, 36, Richmond, Va.

I collect game used equipment, SGC graded vintage cards and raw vintage cards and just about any vintage baseball and football material. Slowly building numerous vintage SGC graded sets on their registry. I also collect autographs and some Yankees, Nationals and NY Giants (football) stuff.

stradermays
10-31-2006, 10:12 PM
Great thread, its almost a year old and still going.
My name is Michael Strader, I live in Omaha, and I used to be a huge Mays collector, hence the call name. I was in the baseball card industry from '83-'98 as both a store owner in the midwest (8 stores actually) and I worked for a Master Distributor of all the major manufacturers for 4 years. I left the industry for 7 years because of all the disguesting things I saw but somehow I've been pulled back in. I've owned everything there is to own that is affordable and sold it 3 time over, Jerserys, every Topps Card every made, a '52 Mantle certified by Al Rosen (Mr. Mint) to be the finest one he every saw (bought it in '87 for $10k and sold it the next week for $12k), boy would I like to have that back. I still have a ton of stuff from the 15 years I was in the industry (Game worn items, Ryan jersey, Jordan Jersey, Yaz bat, Ryan bat, Morgan bat, recently purchased Mantle/Maris 61 in '61 bat) and I'm now looking for the niche items that get me excited. Great site, I joined almost a year ago and I've learned more in that year then I did in the 12 years I was earning a living doing this. Thanks to all.

TNTtoys
11-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Hi guys,

I have not been to this section very much but this particular thread caught my interest. My name is Nick, and I am from the big apple. I do collect quite an assortment of things, but the center of my collection are my Mets jerseys. I have set out to collect one of every style Mets jersey from the start of the double-knit era til today (game worn or authentic retail... no cheap reproductions). I'm currently at 45 and counting... but despite my travels, I still have yet to find what I believe to be the hardest to find of all modern styles -- the 1994 road batting practice jersey (photo attached). Course, as for rarity, the '82/'83 alternate blues and the '85 St. Pats would take the cake... but at least Mitchell & Ness were nice enough to make an authentic repro of them.

I have also done some extensive research on Mets jerseys throughout time and have compiled all of my information... someday I may publish it... but for now, I'd be happy to use it as a tool to help other collectors.

Happy collecting,
Nick

cjw
11-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Hi folks..

My name is Chris and I lam 38 and live in Toronto, Canada. I enjoy collecting vintage baseball items and specifically look for 1977 Toronto Blue Jays items.

I would like to find a 1977 Jays game used jersey(home or away....any player) , if anyone has one for sale or trade. I also collect Dr. J and Dan Marino items.

Have fun collecting!

metsbats
11-06-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm David and from my GU Forum login as many can guess I collect Mets bats. I have just this year completed my goal of obtaining a game used bat from every member of the 86 Mets World Championship team (appropriately on the 20 anniversary). My other interests are the 2000 Mets, Gary Carter, and I have the largest collection of Ed Hearn game used bats and jerseys. Now that I've reached my collecting goals I enjoy sitting back and helping others in the hobby reach their goals as many fellow collectors have helped me through the years.

I have a large scrap book of old SCD articles from Michael Montbriand (GONE BATS), Tim LEE (Equipment Manager) and a ton of advertisements from bat dealers such as Ball Park Heroes, Zane Burns, John Taube, David Drozen, CNI, CSI, etc between the years 1992-1999 which I have kept for reference.

Enjoy hearing from you all.

David

10thMan
12-29-2006, 03:53 PM
I`m Sean Bradley from San Diego, Currently living in San Pedro. I started out collecting modern Baseball, mostly high-end Graded Cards. My Focus has Shifted to Signed memorabilia & Bats (of course!) Favorite Players are Tony Gwynn, Mark Mcgwire, & Vladimir Guerrero. I have every era L.S. gamer of Gwynn (except 1990) Several of Vladi, including a high-end 35" 1998 Sam Bat. My best experience collecting (so far) was asking Gwynn to sign one of his Game used Bats. He studied the specs on the knob, Barrel & asked me where I got it & how much I paid. He also signed a 1984 All-star Game Ball.
Sometime soon I`ll post pics, I just bought a new Desktop & dont have pics loaded yet! I enjoy your Collection Pics. Happy Holidays,
Sean