PDA

View Full Version : Show off YOUR game used baseballs...

richpick
09-26-2007, 12:30 AM
When I think of a game used baseball I think of the actual ball that was hit for a particular achievement. Homerun #100 of a platers career, Hit number 1000 of a players career, etc. I don't like when MLB saves all the balls from a game and then puts them in their auctions as game used ball from the game when so and so reached XXX accomplishment. I think this is kind of misleading and someone could believe that that ball was the actual hit or thrown ball when that milestone was accomplished.

brianborsch
09-26-2007, 01:00 AM
I agree. I actually started to think that mlb.com never sells actual hit balls, which for hits in a regular season game, I have never seen. I did manage to pick up a couple of game used baseballs from the futures game which were actual hits in that game. Thats as close as I have gotten though.

OaklandAsFan
09-26-2007, 01:25 AM
you guys should have seen mlb officials hording all the baseballs during the WBC a few years back. After every hit or foul tip they were grabbing them up and noting what inning and what happened. my buddy was a clubby for the USA team and even he couldnt get a baseball from it. Thankfully I got to know some of the guys on the South African team and I got one of them to give me a foul ball from their gave vs Mexico in Scottsdale.

10thMan
09-26-2007, 03:27 AM
Interesting thread...
Last year at Angels Stadium they would often toss out lots of game used baseballs after the game ended. This year, after Garret Andersons 10 Rbi game (vs. Yankees) I noticed (when entering the stadium) they were selling MLB authenticated "game-used" baseballs.

After that, I havent seen them toss out a single ball! Plenty for sale though!

Sean

brianborsch
09-26-2007, 07:22 AM
Yeah, but they never sell the balls that were actually used for a hit. They probably sell it to the player or keep it themselves...

skyking26
09-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Greed

bigtruck260
09-26-2007, 12:25 PM
You know, the Cardinals sell game used baseballs for $50 - and frankly, it's not a terrible idea. I mean, I have seen Photomints with a sliver of game used baseball (enough to fit a hologram on) sell for $50 and more. I buy them occasionally...for two reasons. I have some items from the 2006 season that would look good framed with something else...and having a game ball from that particular day is kinda cool...

I took my toddler son to a game earlier this year, and bought a ball from that day as a keepsake a few months later...not really an investment, but it's not real practical to make a 100 foot net and attempt to catch every foul ball in the surrounding sections...

It gets kind of crazy when World Series balls are selling for $2500 and the bag is labled "Vizcaino tip in dirt". That's a little overboard. But for regular game balls - $50 isn't too bad to memorialize a good game...heck, I spend $75 to $100 on beer and food.

brianborsch
09-26-2007, 02:44 PM
I agree with you on that note. Having a game used piece from a memorable game can be nice. But why don't they sell the actual hit balls. I can tell you, I am a HUGE fan of Adrian Cardenas, and I paid $100 for the ball he hit for a bloop single in the Futures Game and I am ecstatic about it as it is a hit ball from my favorite player. Now the chances of me coming across another game used ball that was actually counting for a hit by Mr. Cardenas is not good considering the past history on the actual availability of balls like this.
We want more balls that were a result of actual hits, which may mean more attention and documentation on MLB's part.

Brian B

OaklandAsFan
09-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I had 4 of the baseballs from isringhausen in games he saved for the A's in 2001. He threw them to either me or my daughter after each of those 4 games then signed them later on with save #. Alas they are gone now cause my vindictive b**** of an ex wife stole half my collection and sold or destroyed it before i could get to it when we separated. Aside from that the only game used baseball I have any longer is from the WBC South Africa vs Mexico game.

richpick
09-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Alas they are gone now cause my vindictive b**** of an ex wife stole half my collection and sold or destroyed it before i could get to it when we separated

If it wasn't for mothers throwing away our old baseball cards and vindictive ex wifes we would have some great stuff

I feel your pain

Richard

33bird
09-26-2007, 06:02 PM
I have two game used baseballs. One is a game used World Series ball from game #1 of the 1976 World Series between the Reds and Yanks. Right from the 580 Reds Gift Shop. The other one is a game used Johnny Bench HR ball from 1976-hit July 3rd-his 249th (to the right of the Jeff Kent HR ball). Should I get them autographed or not??
Greg

bigjimsguitars
09-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Also the same at Dodger Stadium as earlier in the year, the bat boys would regularily toss foul balls to the kids in the expensive Dug Out Club seats and even saw a player give a cracked bat or two to a fan....

However as the season progressed less of this happened. Yes, the 3rd out ball usually ended up in the stands, but that too wasn't a given late in the season.

The Dodgers also sell GU baseballs at some the the concession stands for $35.00 to 45.00, but it's a crap shoot as to what game they are from and you will only know once you get home and enter the MLB Authenication on the MLB website...

It seems to me that there is a homonization of all of the stadiums these days and that includes GU Memorabilia.

bigtruck260
09-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Not sure who does the autheitcation of game used balls in your town...but in STL Deloitte is right next to the stadium. I would imagine that MLB hires 1-2 guys per game to holograms bats/balls/jerseys. It is just easier (and cheaper) to collect foul tips than asking the ump to stop the game and toss in a player-hit ball. I go to enough home games to know that Albert tosses a ball into the stands EVERY time he comes off of the field. Players are pretty good about doing this. Even Cubs players (haha).

IF you don't pay for the expensive home dugout seats, you can pay for a ball - granted, getting a ball tossed by Albert is better than buying a ball that was fouled off by Derrick Turnbow.:D

Tedw9
09-27-2007, 05:07 PM
The Red Sox used to sell a nice variety of game used items right across the street from the stadium in Yawkey Way Store. Last year I was able to get a game used baseball, find out what game it was from and pick up the line up card from the same game. The ball cost me $50 and the line up card was $125.

Now the Sox have a deal with Steiner going and that same combination would set me back $750! :eek: The baseballs are now $150 and line up cards are $600. And those balls are not hit balls or anything special, just game used. I liked it better when I could go to a game and buy directly from the Sox, now with Steiner involved, I will not be able to afford as much as I would have before.

bigjimsguitars
09-27-2007, 05:27 PM
The Red Sox used to sell a nice variety of game used items right across the street from the stadium in Yawkey Way Store. Last year I was able to get a game used baseball, find out what game it was from and pick up the line up card from the same game. The ball cost me $50 and the line up card was $125.

Now the Sox have a deal with Steiner going and that same combination would set me back $750! :eek: The baseballs are now $150 and line up cards are $600. And those balls are not hit balls or anything special, just game used. I liked it better when I could go to a game and buy directly from the Sox, now with Steiner involved, I will not be able to afford as much as I would have before.

I went to the 9/25/07 game at Dodger Stadium and low and behold, there was a prominent Steiner Sports Advertising Sign in the Right Field Pavilion...Excuse the pun, but is it a "Sign" of things to come?

It would be sad as it too would mean KaChing for the corporate shirts at the price of real fans....

However, game used balls were still available on the Club Level, but not sure if anywhere else in the stadium. I will be going on the 30th and maybe I will buy a couple of them before the prices shoot out of sight.

BTW, was able to get a couple of lineup cards back in the 90's as one of the key ushers at Dodger Stadium who got a couple for me...however he retired that same year....

Jays1fan
06-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Just wondering if there was anyone else here that collects Game Used Baseballs ?

Besides MLB Auctions, is there another place to buy them ? ( MLB is getting silly on a lot of their pricing.

I thought for a New Project , I would get 1 "Jays" Game Used Baseball from each year 2002 - on , and have 1 person from the Game sign it. I got Eric Hinske to sign the 2002 Opening Day Game Used Ball. I got a GU Ball from Delgado's 4hr game in 2003 that I am hoping to get signed. Need 2004 , 2005 and 2006 GU Baseballs. Got Sal Fasano to sign the 6/10/07 Game Used Baseball. And Need a 2008 GU Baseball.

anyone else ?

konerkocollector
06-18-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't collect them but I have always thought about it. I have only two Geoff blums homerun ball from game three of the world series and a Carlos quentin homer he hit this year but I dont have them authenticated.

Jays1fan
06-18-2008, 02:24 PM
I prefer the ones with MLB Holograms.

I know Upper Deck ended up with a lot of stuff from MLB Auctions that did not sell. The used the items as give-away / redemption prizes in some card sets. Just was hoping there was another place to get them.

kylehess10
06-18-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm considered a ball hawk at Turner Field. Whenever I get a ball I write down when I got it (player, inning, etc) and when I get home I'll check to see how many pitches it was used for and every single player that touched the ball, then display it.

Jays1fan
06-18-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm considered a ball hawk at Turner Field. Whenever I get a ball I write down when I got it (player, inning, etc) and when I get home I'll check to see how many pitches it was used for and every single player that touched the ball, then display it.

Now that is COOL. !! I would have to move to Toronto if I were going to do that. No Big League parks around Indy.

Got any pics of baseballs during Jays Games ?

kylehess10
06-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Now that is COOL. !! I would have to move to Toronto if I were going to do that. No Big League parks around Indy.

Got any pics of baseballs during Jays Games ?

Nope.....the Jays never come to Atlanta

Jays1fan
06-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Nope.....the Jays never come to Atlanta

Actually they Did come to Atlanta according to my 2006 Jays Media Guide. 6/20/06 - 6/22/06

frikativ54
06-18-2008, 03:02 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Game%20Used%20Album/BagwellGameUsedBaseball.jpg

Here is my only game-used baseball. I was acquired in Arizona back in late June of 2003 at an Astros game. This is a ball that Jeff Bagwell threw into the stands after the final out of an inning. I was not in my assigned seat, not even close, with no ticket. After I reached in front of a kid to snag the ball, the lady working there barked at me, asking for the ticket. I'm just lucky she didn't ask for the ball. As this is a Bagwell-used ball, I'm holding onto it forever.

kylehess10
06-18-2008, 03:12 PM
I was not in my assigned seat, not even close, with no ticket. After I reached in front of a kid to snag the ball, the lady working there barked at me, asking for the ticket. I'm just lucky she didn't ask for the ball. As this is a Bagwell-used ball, I'm holding onto it forever.

Who's ever in their assigned seat?? I've been to 12 Braves games this year....and each of them I've had skyline dollar-seats (only $1) but I've sat on top of the dugout for every single game so far. I also get free parking because I know a good free parking spot right down the street that nobody knows about. So every game I save $59 in the ticket price and $12 on the parking. So technically I've had $852 worth of tickets/parking this year for the price of $12 total.

skyking26
06-18-2008, 03:12 PM
I have 3 Dave Kingman HR baseballs. Had a 4th at one time and it took me years to sell it. The ball had a letter from the prominent ballhawk and it still took years to sell. I don't think the $125 price tag was high. My belief is few people collect them, and authentication is better now than it was then, but people in general just do not care about this area.

Bats will always be of high interest as well as jerseys, but the area I have seen take off is mitts. People go nuts over them, and in my opinion authentication is tuff. Same with helmets.

RK

CampWest
06-18-2008, 04:02 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Game%20Used%20Album/BagwellGameUsedBaseball.jpgThis is a ball that Jeff Bagwell threw into the stands after the final out of an inning. After I reached in front of a kid to snag the ball,

Wow, I'm sure Jeff would have been proud of you for swiping a ball from a kid... ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tigerdale
06-18-2008, 04:08 PM
I collect a lot of detroit tigers game used baseballs....99% authenticated.
They do a great job of selling them after games.....I can check for blue jays at detroit.........I have authenticated world series, alcs & alds from the tigers ...I'd rather have a game used ball signed than a new white one!!!

CampWest
06-18-2008, 04:10 PM
I do have one ball that I bought off MLB, it was from 7/3/7 Royals game. Chose that one to be autographed by Billy Butler who had 6 RBI that game.

sylbry
06-18-2008, 04:21 PM
I started collecting balls from semi-significant Twins games. I try to get a ball from a players first game, a pitchers first win, or a game of notation and have the player sign the ball. Unfortunately there have not been too many important Twins games in the last couple of years.

Balls of note include:

Joe Mauer 5 for 5 game
Johan Santana 90th win
Johan Santana 17k game
Johan Santana complete game shutout against Mets
Pat Neshek MLB debut
Boof Bonser first win
Frank Thomas 500 HR

If anyone can get a ball from Carlos Gomez's cycle game against the White Sox let me know.

Thought about expanding the collection into other notable games. Had a ball from Brandon Webb's MLB debut and Vlad's cycle game but sold them.

frikativ54
06-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Wow, I'm sure Jeff would have been proud of you for swiping a ball from a kid... ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Give me a break; that was five years ago. I'm sure Bagwell would be happier knowing the ball was in the hands of a true fan, instead of a kid from Arizona who would have likely been rooting for the D-Backs. You are making it seem as if I ripped it out of a kid's hands; I caught it fair and square.

konerkocollector
06-18-2008, 04:36 PM
I started collecting balls from semi-significant Twins games. I try to get a ball from a players first game, a pitchers first win, or a game of notation and have the player sign the ball. Unfortunately there have not been too many important Twins games in the last couple of years.

Balls of note include:

Joe Mauer 5 for 5 game
Johan Santana 90th win
Johan Santana 17k game
Johan Santana complete game shutout against Mets
Pat Neshek MLB debut
Boof Bonser first win
Frank Thomas 500 HR

If anyone can get a ball from Carlos Gomez's cycle game against the White Sox let me know.

Thought about expanding the collection into other notable games. Had a ball from Brandon Webb's MLB debut and Vlad's cycle game but sold them.

I caught a foul ball he hit during the game but gave it to a kid because I was pissed we got our butts kicked by the tiwns.

sylbry
06-18-2008, 04:41 PM
I caught a foul ball he hit during the game but gave it to a kid because I was pissed we got our butts kicked by the tiwns.

Damn. I would have paid good money for that. Oh well. Bet the kid was happy.

Tedw9
06-18-2008, 05:08 PM
I have one game used ball that I purchased from the Red Sox pro shop last year. I got it home and looked it up on the MLB database and found out it was from a game which Jonathan Papelbon had a save in his rookie year. My next trip to Fenway I was able to get the lineup card from the same game. And that fall I was able to get Jonathan to sign the ball for me, now I just got to get them displayed.

Last year when I went back to Fenway, the prices on the baseballs and lineup cards had more than doubled. I won't be buying anymore. :(

Jays1fan
06-18-2008, 05:26 PM
I collect a lot of detroit tigers game used baseballs....99% authenticated.
They do a great job of selling them after games.....I can check for blue jays at detroit.........I have authenticated world series, alcs & alds from the tigers ...I'd rather have a game used ball signed than a new white one!!!

TigerDale - I would appreciate that Very Much. As long as it has the MLB Hologram. I agree that I would rather have a Game Used Signed than a White ball. Looking for years 2004 , 2005, 2006 and 2008.
Thanks a bunch !

TigerSteve
06-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Ha, I was just going to offer to check at a Tigers game for you too. As for 2008 I see the Jays come here in August. I'm sure I could get you one then. As long as nothing historic happens in the game, they are usually only $35 and authenticated.

Jays1fan
06-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Ha, I was just going to offer to check at a Tigers game for you too. As for 2008 I see the Jays come here in August. I'm sure I could get you one then. As long as nothing historic happens in the game, they are usually only $35 and authenticated.

Thanks, I appreciate it. That is not a bad price for one with a MLB Holo.

I noticed the Teams that sell their own items.. are alot cheaper than the ones that MLB sells. For Example ... The Phillies have a BUNCH of GU Baseballs for $35 .. Yet MLB wants $75 for a Jays at D-Rays 2006 Mothers Day ball. I need 2006 , but wont pay that. MLB also has a 2004 one for $50 that I am torn on. When you add they want $10 to ship, ouch !
Pretty Pricey for a GU Ball on a regular game. I lucked out on my 6/10/07 , for Dodgers Steiner ran auctions on MLB and I got it for $15 and $9.99 Shipping. I only Paid $50 for the Delgado 4 HR Ball. So I guess I can do the waiting game. lol , Just thought it would be a neat thing to collect and once I get the 2004, 2005 and 2006 ... then I can just buy 1 each year.

Thanks for all the replies to this post. Pretty Cool Collections out there.

allstarsplus
06-18-2008, 10:30 PM
I have lots of game used balls and my favorites are my Soriano game used HR ball from 2006 and my game used balls from the Nationals first ever game in Philadelphia Opening Day 2005 (4/4/05) and then from 1st game in Washington (4/14/05).

Then I purchased and stored away a few dozen game used balls from the Nationals 1st season at RFK in 2005 and I have done the same from this year from the Nationals inaugural year in their new ballpark.

My craziest purchase was a game used baseball from Barry Bonds 700th HR game which I paid a lot of $$$$ for.

Besides regular game balls, I collect the HR Derby balls which I usually get off of MLB Auctions.

When I can get game used balls for less than $30 I will buy those as I think they are great to use for autographs.

Always looking for significant Nationals game used baseballs.

tigerdale
06-19-2008, 05:32 AM
I just bought off ebay a 2005 home run derby GOLD ball....authenticated...hit by pudge rodriguez for 61$...I thought that was a great price.

allstarsplus
06-19-2008, 08:10 AM
I just bought off ebay a 2005 home run derby GOLD ball....authenticated...hit by pudge rodriguez for 61$...I thought that was a great price.

Great job!! Sounds like you got a great price!!! When MLB introduced the Gold Ball into the HR Derby, I thought that was a great idea!

If you see anymore Gold Balls for sale in the future----let me know!

dcgreg25
06-19-2008, 08:15 AM
I have started a pretty good collection of GU balls. I would love to add some more- specifically from the Indians and homerun balls. Some of my favorites include:

-Vlad Guerrero Expos GU HR Balls (2) Grey Flannel COA. Balls sourced directly from the Expos (I am actually considering selling one of these, let me know if you are interested).

-Albert Pujols Playoff GU Signed Ball (MLB Authenticated)

-Kerry Wood GU Signed Ball from NLDS Win (MLB Authenticated)

-GU Baseball from 2004 ALCS Game 7 (Yanks vs. Socks MLB Authentic)

-GU Baseball from 2007 ALCS game 2 (Sox vs. Indians) singed by Manny Ramirez.

-GU Signed George Brettt 3000 Ball (Grey Flannel)

-GU Team Signed Baseball from Doc Gooden's no-hittter (Grey Flannel).

-GU Signed Ball from Chris Bosio's no hitter.

gregguy@hotmail.com

joelsabi
06-19-2008, 10:36 AM
i have three hr game used balls that were actually hit by arod. i have 7 game used ball that are signed by arod like a jackie robinson ball and safeco inaguaral ball, and 96 all-star. then i have some game used balls unsigned from specific games where arod had a great game or a day that sounded interesting like his 3hr10 rbi game and his last homerun game from the year that made it three consecutive home run crowns. hopefull one day i can get this inscribed "three consecutive hr crown" or something to that effect. also had my worst experience in the hobby trying to get a ball from his 500 HR game.

i like the balls because they are relatively cheap game used items and can be attached to a specific game. i also have a historical approach to my collection so items that can somehow be attached to a certain game, milestone, record, time period, etc gains some interest from me.

if you have something that you think might interest me, let me know.

tigerdale
06-19-2008, 10:54 AM
i have three hr game used balls that were actually hit by arod. i have 7 game used ball that are signed by arod like a jackie robinson ball and safeco inaguaral ball, and 96 all-star. then i have some game used balls unsigned from specific games where arod had a great game or a day that sounded interesting like his 3hr10 rbi game and his last homerun game from the year that made it three consecutive home run crowns. hopefull one day i can get this inscribed "three consecutive hr crown" or something to that effect. also had my worst experience in the hobby trying to get a ball from his 500 HR game.

i like the balls because they are relatively cheap game used items and can be attached to a specific game. i also have a historical approach to my collection so items that can somehow be attached to a certain game, milestone, record, time period, etc gains some interest from me.

if you have something that you think might interest me, let me know.
Just curious, are the arod homerun balls mlb authenticated???

joelsabi
06-19-2008, 11:00 AM

nope. i dont know of any that are.

nycsports
06-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Game used baseballs are probably my favorite thing to collect. I have about 30 or so. Here are some of my favorites:

Barry Bonds HR ball from 1989
A-Rod minor league HR Ball with team letter
Derek Jeter foul ball (2002)
GU ball hit by Roberto Clemente (1966)
BP ball hit by Don Mattingly (1989)
GU ball from the 1996 World Series, Game 6

joelsabi
07-08-2008, 10:27 PM

HR#501 is authenticated Serial BB 495912
MVP owns its and wants close to 25K for it.

cyd64
07-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Check out this guy .... I bet he has a decent game used baseball collection

http://majorleagueballhawk.mlblogs.com

joelsabi
07-08-2008, 11:32 PM
i never seen someone so passionate about catching a ball than ballhawk. also there is this kid who was on letterman showing off his technique of getting ball that are beyond hand reach of ball still on the field. dont know his name tho. both kids at heart.

chakes89
07-09-2008, 12:01 AM
You are thinking of Zack Hample

He has over 3,500 balls now

AstrosCollector
07-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Looks like Zack has that guy beat....

http://snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com/

cyd64
07-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Major League Ballhawk however has actually caught 75% of his balls and has 99 game home runs. Hample on the other hand admittedly "begs" for the balls he gets. Personally I would rather catch a ball than be a 30+ guy asking a player for a ball on a daily basis.

Either way though they both do it differently and that makes them both pretty cool.

Jays1fan
08-13-2008, 10:49 AM

Just wanted to say THANKS to TigerSteve and TigerDale for the Tip on the Tigers Game Used Baseballs. I was able to make contact with Marc at the Tigers and he was able to get me a Game Used Baseball ( MLB Hologram ) from Last nights Game for $35 plus shipping.

On another note , I have also picked up recently GU Baseballs from 2004 , 2006 and the Final Out of the Final Round Alex Rios Gold HR Derby Ball.
So the search continues for a 2005 GU Ball. :) Might have to be one of those over-priced "Milestone" baseballs from MLB.com Auctions to complete the set.

tigerdale
08-13-2008, 11:23 AM

do the indians sell game used balls???

Tedw9
08-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Can someone send me the contact information for the Tigers game used balls?

frikativ54
08-13-2008, 05:06 PM

I would like that information as well.

Thanks,

Frik

joelsabi
08-13-2008, 05:36 PM
I would like that information as well.

Thanks,

Frik

same here. i would like that information. you never know when a arod milestone happens on the road.

allstarsplus
08-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Ryan Zimmerman 1st HR game was against Billy Wagner on 4-5-06

tigerdale
08-15-2008, 09:55 AM

who is MVP??

joelsabi
08-15-2008, 10:09 AM
who is MVP??

MVP Marketing & Management, LLC. Its run by a nice gentleman named Mario Monteleone, who has many private signings with Alex Rodriguez.

tigerdale
08-15-2008, 11:22 AM
MVP Marketing & Management, LLC. Its run by a nice gentleman named Mario Monteleone, who has many private signings with Alex Rodriguez.
does he have it advertised somewhere? how do you get ahold of him?
Just curious....way out of my price range.

joelsabi
08-15-2008, 12:07 PM
does he have it advertised somewhere? how do you get ahold of him?
Just curious....way out of my price range.

its advertised on ebay.

but you can join there newletter here

http://www.mailermailer.com/x?oid=34228L

yankees24
08-15-2008, 12:11 PM
is it good to have game used baseballs signed, doesn't the dirt and everything else on it affect the signature and fades it in the long run?

Tedw9
08-17-2008, 12:26 PM

Anyone?

samclain at jax dot org

LimaTime42
08-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Though I'd share my Tim Lincecum signed and game used ball from his 1st start. It was a Sunday night no decision against the Phillies. Ball has a clear bat mark and an early signature from the future Cy Young award winner.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj139/Sweetspot15/Traded/rr/IMG_1441.jpg

tigerdale
08-20-2008, 06:35 AM
I have a couple baseballs from matt joyces first game I'm going to have him sign.........what do you thing is the best inscription for this event....
"MLB debut
5-5-08 vs Boston"
is that Ok, or should I jazz it up a little........

Jays1fan
08-20-2008, 08:28 AM

Here is my contact with the Detroit Tigers.
Marc.Himelstein@detroittigers.com (Marc.Himelstein@detroittigers.com)

Marc is SUPER and will put you on his mailing list. He not only got me the 2008 Jays Game Used ball but the Rosin Bag too from the 5/11/08 - 5/13/08 Series with the Jays in town since it started to rain that night !

ironmanfan
08-20-2008, 09:09 AM
is it good to have game used baseballs signed, doesn't the dirt and everything else on it affect the signature and fades it in the long run?

I don't think signatures are adversely affected on game used balls. Here is a game ball from 1996 from the game in which Cal Ripken Jr. passed Sachio Kinugasa for the World Record in consecutive games played (2216). As you can see, both signatures have held out nicely..

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/bb002.jpg

Jays1fan
08-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Just got my 2005 Blue Jays Game used baseball today thanks to fellow member nomarmauerfan selling me his Jays at Twins 5/18/05 G.U. Ball for $42 Dlvd.

So now I have at least 1 Blue Jays Game Used Baseball with MLB Hologram from each Year from 2002 - 2008 ! Plus an extra 2007 Signed by Hector Luna and an Alex Rios 20007 Home Run Derby Final Out #10 in the Final Round G.U. Ball .

Has anyone ever seen a G.U. Ball with MLB Hologram from 2001 or before that ? Or was 2002 the year they started ?

tigerdale
08-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Just got my 2005 Blue Jays Game used baseball today thanks to fellow member nomarmauerfan selling me his Jays at Twins 5/18/05 G.U. Ball for $42 Dlvd.

So now I have at least 1 Blue Jays Game Used Baseball with MLB Hologram from each Year from 2002 - 2008 ! Plus an extra 2007 Signed by Hector Luna and an Alex Rios 20007 Home Run Derby Final Out #10 in the Final Round G.U. Ball .

Has anyone ever seen a G.U. Ball with MLB Hologram from 2001 or before that ? Or was 2002 the year they started ?
My earliest mlb hologramed baseball is april 2001 (detroit tigers)....I did hear of some items in late 2000 (world series) being authenticated as well...great job on the collection, very cool.

70to66
08-25-2008, 05:36 PM
I scored a couple of G/U World baseball classic balls when I went to the 1st
round in Florida when the Dominican played Venezuela. I gave one to my brother. I got lucky that the people who had the first row seats behind the Dominican dugout on the end of the row did not show up until the 4th inning.
70to66

allstarsplus
11-14-2008, 10:37 PM
New balls from the Nationals including Game used ball from last game from RFK Stadium (with game used dirt), Ryan Zimmerman actual HR ball signed/inscribed, Team signed ball, George Bush signed Opening Day ball, Game used ball from Nationals Opening Day 2008

Hologram number LH175432 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under PLAYER COLLECTED HR BALL.
Session Product Description:

Session Name: TB AT DET
Session Date: September 26, 2008
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: DETROIT TIGERS GARY SHEFFIELD 499TH CAREER HOME RUN BALL HIT INTO THE VISITORS BULLPEN

Game used ball from the last World Series game in Yankee Stadium
Game 6 2003 1 of 16 balls hologram'd in the game

tigerdale
11-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Andrew.....AWESOME baseballs!!! I thought about that shef one.....
you have a nice collection. I'm impressed.

3arod13
11-19-2008, 12:48 PM
1990 Oklahoma City 89ers Minor League Team signed ball (not game used)
1990 Oklahoma City Minor League Juan Gonzalez Signed Ball (game used)

drewy1127
11-19-2008, 02:19 PM
A good friend of mine is a proffesional umpire I have tons of different minor league balls. Give me a holler if interested.

TFig27
08-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Just got done labeling my "game used" baseballs (pregame). Unfortunately there aren't any homerun balls in here. Just balls used during batting practice and pregame warmups, but they were all obtained by myself, which is pretty neat.

Includes balls from the All Star game, HR Derby, final season and inaugural season Yankees logo balls. Two of my favorites are one that was hit by Jeter and another used to warmup by Mariano Rivera.

Feel free to post some photos of balls you caught at games.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/tfig27/gameballs.jpg

flota89
08-31-2009, 07:00 PM
I habe over 100 BP homerun balls by players such as..
Albert Pujols
Ryan Zimmerman
Prince Fielder

I have about 10 game used baseballs (most of which are 3rd ball outs from either Albert Pujols or Molina and a few foul balls).

I also caught balls from the 2009 Futures Game, Home Run Derby, and All-Star Game.

My prized ball is an actual ball hit by Prince Fielder in the 2009 Derby. It was his 14th home run of the Derby.

It pays to bring a glove to games!

rj_lucas
08-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Just got done labeling my "game used" baseballs (pregame). Unfortunately there aren't any homerun balls in here. Just balls used during batting practice and pregame warmups, but they were all obtained by myself, which is pretty neat.

Includes balls from the All Star game, HR Derby, final season and inaugural season Yankees logo balls. Two of my favorites are one that was hit by Jeter and another used to warmup by Mariano Rivera.

Feel free to post some photos of balls you caught at games.

Very cool. I like how you've provided a lot of detail for each ball. How long have you been collecting them?

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

allstarsplus
08-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Just a few special Washington Nationals balls in my collection including 1 signed by President Bush. I will update after the season as I am going to add a dozen more. I have 2 significant HR balls so far by Ryan Zimmerman and Alfonso Soriano!

TigerSteve
08-31-2009, 08:31 PM
My 3 favorite game used. An actual HR ball from Placido Polanco, a game used signed ball from Brandon Inges 100th career HR game, and a game used signed ball from Rick Porcellos 1st MLB win. All authenticated.

-Steve

emann
08-31-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't have a photo but I've got an MLB authenticated ball from Jeff Kent's last career at bat (2008 NLCS, Game 5, Hamels struck him out).

tigerdale
09-04-2009, 07:15 AM
I have way to many, but if I had to narrow it down, probably my favorite in my collection would be these.....final pitch thrown to a tiger hitter in tiger stadium, mlb authenticated walk off home run by carlos guillen in 2007 of a game that ended at 3:30 am, a couple mlb authenticated balls from the 2006 world series, actual mlb authenticated home run balls from brandon inge & marcus thames that were back to back!!

WadeInBmore
09-04-2009, 07:50 AM
I don't have any pictures currently of my baseballs, but all the game balls that I have are significant to Frank Thomas.

I've got one bp homerun baseball, game used mlb certified balls from his 2000th hit game, 1500th rbi game, and 500th hr game. I also own three of his homerun baseballs #'s 13, 327, and 440.

wade

nationals2k9
09-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Just a few special Washington Nationals balls in my collection including 1 signed by President Bush. I will update after the season as I am going to add a dozen more. I have 2 significant HR balls so far by Ryan Zimmerman and Alfonso Soriano!

Sweet Zim ball ;)

rj_lucas
09-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Ten years ago I bought a ball from Tony LaRussa's Animal Rescue Foundation, used in the 8/19/99 game between the Cards and Cubs. It was the first and only time that season (and more significantly, the last time in their careers) where Mac and Sammy would hit home runs in the same game.

One of the many things I respect about Tony LaRussa is his appreciation for baseball history. He recognized the 8/19 game as the symbolic end of the McGwire/Sosa chapter of baseball history by taking this ball out of play and having both men sign it.

What makes the ball special to me is that, several weeks after receiving it, I opened my mailbox to find a letter from Tony, written by hand, talking about the ball and describing it as the only one of its kind. Truth be told, the letter means more to me than the ball.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

suicide_squeeze
09-04-2009, 11:02 AM

Hey Andrew,

Being a registered Republican my whole life, I would have said "COOL!" about your George "W" signed ball if today were about 7-8 years ago.

Today? I'd play "fetch" with it in the backyard with the dog. :mad: But I won't get "political" here....

Nice Zim and Soriano balls, for sure!!!

suicide_squeeze
09-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Ten years ago I bought a ball from Tony LaRussa's Animal Rescue Foundation, used in the 8/19/99 game between the Cards and Cubs. It was the first and only time that season (and more significantly, the last time in their careers) where Mac and Sammy would hit home runs in the same game.

One of the many things I respect about Tony LaRussa is his appreciation for baseball history. He recognized the 8/19 game as the symbolic end of the McGwire/Sosa chapter of baseball history by taking this ball out of play and having both men sign it.

What makes the ball special to me is that, several weeks after receiving it, I opened my mailbox to find a letter from Tony, written by hand, talking about the ball and describing it as the only one of its kind. Truth be told, the letter means more to me than the ball.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Rick,

I have to say, of just "regular game-used baseballs" that aren't an actual hit of a pro player, or home run ball......that is the cream of the crop for sure! Just an awesome collectible. And you are correct.....the "Tony La Russa letter" that you have regarding it makes it what it is....nice pick-up!!

Congrats,

Steve

suicide_squeeze
09-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't have any pictures currently of my baseballs, but all the game balls that I have are significant to Frank Thomas.

I've got one bp homerun baseball, game used mlb certified balls from his 2000th hit game, 1500th rbi game, and 500th hr game. I also own three of his homerun baseballs #'s 13, 327, and 440.

wade

Wade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're KILLIN' me dude!!!! PLEASE sell me one of those home run balls!!!!! I'm on my knees begging you!!!

Steve

sox83cubs84
09-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Hey Andrew,

Being a registered Republican my whole life, I would have said "COOL!" about your George "W" signed ball if today were about 7-8 years ago.

Today? I'd play "fetch" with it in the backyard with the dog. :mad: But I won't get "political" here....

I've also been a registered Republican my whole life, and a "W" signed baseball would be a grail to me, given his Presidency, his status as a huge baseball fan, and his stint owning the Texas Rangers.

Dave M.
Chicago area

rj_lucas
09-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Rick,

I have to say, of just "regular game-used baseballs" that aren't an actual hit of a pro player, or home run ball......that is the cream of the crop for sure! Just an awesome collectible. And you are correct.....the "Tony La Russa letter" that you have regarding it makes it what it is....nice pick-up!!

Congrats,

Steve

Thanks Steve. It's a nice item, but it's not the ball hit by the Spendid Splinter for his only slam of the historic 1941 season, inscribed in Ted's own hand. Now THERE'S a game used ball.

By the way, my post says 8/19 but the correct date is 8/14/99, as written on the ball :o

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

xpress34
09-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Just based on the past few posts, I have to put this one up - not GU - and I'm not Republican or Democrat... I'm an Independent... but just to have ANY U.S. Presidential signed ball is cool, so here's mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Balls/ObamaOML1.jpg

Got this done here in Denver when he was speaking at one of the local High Schools during his campaign.

Really wanted it in Ball Point, but due to his popularity, his staffers keep him stocked in Sharpies.

- Chris

xpress34
09-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Now I've shown off my 'Presidential' Ball, here are my two main GU gems...

The 1st one I got from a friend's shop that use to be in Lewisville, TX (Bunt, Punt & Dunk - owned by Ken Greene) that he got directly from Nolan. He would buy a dozen Ryan AU balls directly from Nolan each year he was with the Rangers to have in his shop... at the end of the '93 season, Nolan sent him a dozen - 9 unused and 3 GU. No other cert or provenance, but Ken was a stand up guy and I have no reason to believe the ball is other than what i was reperesented to me as 15 years ago...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Balls/Ryan93GUOALBrown1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Balls/Ryan93GUOALBrown2.jpg

And this one was a GIFT to me from my Best Friend of 30+ years for helping him through a hard time... I met him in Tucson for Spring Training 2 years ago at my brother's house and he stopped me at the door and told me he had something for me and gave me this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Balls/Ryan93GU72593OALBrown1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Balls/Ryan93GU72593OALBrown2.jpg

MLB CERT and Texas Rangers CERT with LOAs from The Rangers Foundation AND the Ryan Foundation...

Two PERMANENT Pieces in the collection...

- Chris

joelsabi
09-04-2009, 02:08 PM

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

that letter give the baseball a great story and history. nice item. thanks for sharing

godwulf
09-04-2009, 02:35 PM
The mention and photos of the Prez-signed balls made me wonder what other celebs you've all had sign baseballs. Baseballs seem to be a very popular thing to have folks sign these days - even those with no connection to The Game.

In addition to the hundreds of player-signed balls that I've acquired, I also have gotten John Cleese, Arlo Guthrie, Gena Lee Nolin, and author Andrew Vacchs to sign a ball for me. I plan to get comedian Paula Poundstone to sign one when I see her next month.

xpress34
09-04-2009, 04:38 PM
The mention and photos of the Prez-signed balls made me wonder what other celebs you've all had sign baseballs. Baseballs seem to be a very popular thing to have folks sign these days - even those with no connection to The Game.

In addition to the hundreds of player-signed balls that I've acquired, I also have gotten John Cleese, Arlo Guthrie, Gena Lee Nolin, and author Andrew Vacchs to sign a ball for me. I plan to get comedian Paula Poundstone to sign one when I see her next month.

GW -

I got Jeff Foxworthy a few years back at the visiting team hotel here in Denver as they were here shooting Blue Collar II at the Buell Theatre.

My other 'celeb' autos all have baseball tie in:

Kevin Costner (Bull Durham, Filed of Dreams, For Love of the Game)
Tom Selleck (Mr Baseball and well known for his Tigers hat in Magnum, P.I.)
Thomas Jane (Mickey mantle in *61 - even added *61 inscription in sig)
Todd McFarlane (Maker of Sports Picks - owner of McGwire's 62 and 70, Sosas 66 and Bonds 73 HR Balls)

I think That's it currently... ;)

- Chris

suicide_squeeze
09-04-2009, 05:01 PM
I've also been a registered Republican my whole life, and a "W" signed baseball would be a grail to me, given his Presidency, his status as a huge baseball fan, and his stint owning the Texas Rangers.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Dave, you may have missed your opportunity. I hear he only signs "Alfred E, Neuman" these days.

Maybe one of his super-rich oil buddies could donate one to you? Because you may be the last guy on the face of this earth......besides his buddies.......who appreciate any aspect of his presidency and the mess we are now in?

(Notice to you jerk-offs in the Secret Service.....I was only KIDDING, no need to stake me out!) :p

godwulf
09-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Kevin Costner (Bull Durham, Filed of Dreams, For Love of the Game)
Tom Selleck (Mr Baseball and well known for his Tigers hat in Magnum, P.I.)
Thomas Jane (Mickey mantle in *61 - even added *61 inscription in sig)
Todd McFarlane (Maker of Sports Picks - owner of McGwire's 62 and 70, Sosas 66 and Bonds 73 HR Balls)

I'd love to meet Costner, and get him to sign a ball for me. I have a Costner bobblehead - can't recall right now which team put that out...I think it was the minor league club in San Bernandino - and at least a half a dozen Costner cards, and also a couple of Tom Sellek cards.

I had a chance to buy a ball - this would have been about '94 or '95 - that Todd McFarlane put a rather elaborate calligraphy-like signature on; the owner of a comic shop that I was frequenting at the time worked for the company that McFarlane was doing a lot of art for, and he saw McFarlane all the time. (Come to think of it, it was the year that the movie version of 'Spawn' came out, whenever that was.) The shop owner wanted fifty bucks for the ball, which seemed a bit high. It still does, come to think of it.

rj_lucas
09-04-2009, 05:44 PM
no need to stake me out!) :p

That's right. Everyone knows the guys from Grey Flannel have first dibs on staking out Steve. :eek:

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

suicide_squeeze
09-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Just based on the past few posts, I have to put this one up - not GU - and I'm not Republican or Democrat... I'm an Independent... but just to have ANY U.S. Presidential signed ball is cool, so here's mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Balls/ObamaOML1.jpg

Got this done here in Denver when he was speaking at one of the local High Schools during his campaign.

Really wanted it in Ball Point, but due to his popularity, his staffers keep him stocked in Sharpies.

- Chris

Hey Chris.......where's the signature?

I see the inscription that reads "BOY, do I SUCK"....but I can't find the signature? http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gif

suicide_squeeze
09-04-2009, 06:08 PM
That's right. Everyone knows the guys from Grey Flannel have first dibs on staking out Steve. :eek:

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

I'm ready for em....... http://www.connectingsingles.com/i/emot/boxing.gif

allstarsplus
09-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Hey Andrew,

I won't get political either, but "W" threw out the 1st pitch in the newly opened Nats Park Stadium in 2008 and the 2nd time he threw out a 1st pitch on Opening Day for the Nats as he did it when the Nats had their 1st game ever in 2005.

The ball is MLB holo'd too!!!!!!

Still special for me. If Obama threw out a 1st pitch in Washington which I believe he should have done, I would want one of those too!

I passed on the Dick Cheney ball LOL

xpress34
09-05-2009, 12:50 AM
GW -

I forgot to add on the list of Celebrity balls...

We got Chef Robert Irvine (from Dinner Impossible on the Food Network) on Opening Day 2008. Ran into him at a downtown hotel on the way to get our car and he invited us back to a cook off they were holding at the hotel.

Really nice guy...

- Chris

P.S.

STEVE - I'm officially ignoring you right now.

ironmanfan
09-05-2009, 09:15 AM
game used ball off the bat of the Orioles' Chris Hoiles at the game in June 1996, where Cal Ripken Jr. passed Japan's Sachio Kinugasa for the World Record of 2216 consecutive games played (Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City)...I gave the guy who caught it $50 and later got both Kinugasa and Ripken to sign it afterwards (was fortunate to share a cab with Kinugasa back to the hotel after the game)....No MLB Authenication in those days (just good old hard work getting items yourself)

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/bb002.jpg

sportscentury
09-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Rickey Henderson. The 2002 baseball was a Christmas gift from Rickey/MOS (see signed Christmas card below).

markize
09-05-2009, 06:51 PM
I have a baseball signed by former Pennsylvania governor, Tom Ridge, before the stint with homeland security. it's currently packed away, but i will look to dig it out for pics.

just last year i got a Spike Lee auto on a baseball in baltimore.

mark

lakeerie92
08-06-2010, 06:48 PM
A little late to the party, but here is my collection. All of the commemorative balls are MLB authenticated except the Mickey Mantle day.

Looking for MLB authenticated 2005 and 2008 Washington Nationals commemorative balls, Mets Inaugural Season balls, and Home Run Derby and All-Star game balls.

LastingsMilledge85
08-06-2010, 07:15 PM
I only have a few, but this one is my favorite commemorative ball I have seen.
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/Milledge85/Natsball1.jpg?t=1279340462
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/Milledge85/Natsball2.jpg?t=1279340462

lakeerie92
08-06-2010, 07:27 PM
I only have a few, but this one is my favorite commemorative ball I have seen.
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/Milledge85/Natsball1.jpg?t=1279340462
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/Milledge85/Natsball2.jpg?t=1279340462

You only have a few commemorative balls, or a few of those Nationals balls?

Those Nationals balls from 2005 and 2008 are hard to come by. I know they are out there. I had a chance to buy one from Zimmerman's first MLB hit game and the seller said he had one with a less smudged logo so I held off. Then I never heard from him again. I finally got a hold of the 2003 Yankees ball though so that is one off my list.

sox83cubs84
08-06-2010, 07:37 PM
The first GU logo baseball I personally caught was in Cleveland, 2 days before my Bret Boone HR catch at Wrigley Field. A pregame rain had thinned out the crowd at Jacobs Field, so, when the game started, I snuck down to an unoccupied front row seat down the third base line. An inning or 2 later, Jose Canseco buggywhips a line drive off the tarp on the third base line. The ballboy bails out, seeing the speed of the ball. It shoots a path just inches above the ground, where I lean over the wall and spear it at that level. Crowd reaction was very positive.

Dave Miedema

LastingsMilledge85
08-06-2010, 07:41 PM
I only have a few balls. One being my first and only caught foul ball from 2005, a few bp balls, a few FSL balls, and the Nats ball that I got for a steal of a price at around $25. I don't really like collecting baseballs unless it's a commemorative ball from the Mets or Nats. I just need a Shea and Citi ball and then I'm done.

lakeerie92
08-06-2010, 07:49 PM
I only have a few balls. One being my first and only caught foul ball from 2005, a few bp balls, a few FSL balls, and the Nats ball that I got for a steal of a price at around $25. I don't really like collecting baseballs unless it's a commemorative ball from the Mets or Nats. I just need a Shea and Citi ball and then I'm done.

That is a steal of a price. The Shea and Citi balls are easy to find, just not a good price. I contacted a rep from the Mets and he said there prices are negotiable, but it takes him a week to get back to me so I am hoping to pick up a Citi ball for around $50 since I already have a Shea.

lakeerie92
08-06-2010, 07:52 PM
The first GU logo baseball I personally caught was in Cleveland, 2 days before my Bret Boone HR catch at Wrigley Field. A pregame rain had thinned out the crowd at Jacobs Field, so, when the game started, I snuck down to an unoccupied front row seat down the third base line. An inning or 2 later, Jose Canseco buggywhips a line drive off the tarp on the third base line. The ballboy bails out, seeing the speed of the ball. It shoots a path just inches above the ground, where I lean over the wall and spear it at that level. Crowd reaction was very positive.

Dave Miedema

Dave,

When was the last time the Indians had a commemorative logo ball? Was it the ball they used in 1997 commemorating them hosting the All-Star game?

tigerdale
08-06-2010, 08:31 PM
A little late to the party, but here is my collection. All of the commemorative balls are MLB authenticated except the Mickey Mantle day.

Looking for MLB authenticated 2005 and 2008 Washington Nationals commemorative balls, Mets Inaugural Season balls, and Home Run Derby and All-Star game balls.
very nice collection!!

kudu
08-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Here's my only ball. Foul ball from a Padres game at Jack Murphy. Wish I would have written down what game. Giamatti ball too.

gnishiyama
08-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Game-used baseball from the 2007 All Star Game where Ichiro became
the first player to hit an inside-the-park-home-run in an All Star game
and also 1st Japanese player to win All Star MVP. Got it signed and
inscribed MVP. One of my favorites.

Goh Nishiyama

lakeerie92
08-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Just got this one in to add to the rest of the collection. Used in the 4th game at Target Field this year

lakeerie92
08-07-2010, 10:27 AM
very nice collection!!

Thanks, I am a big fan of your Tigers Home Run Derby collection.

rj_lucas
08-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Ball hit for single by Albert Pujols in game 3 of 2009 NLDS. MLB holo number LH642411. Would be curious to know if anyone else knows of a authenticated Pujols post season hit. I have not seen another.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

joelsabi
08-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Ball hit for single by Albert Pujols in game 3 of 2009 NLDS. MLB holo number LH642411. Would be curious to know if anyone else knows of a authenticated Pujols post season hit. I have not seen another.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

thats pretty cool. where did you get it?

rj_lucas
08-07-2010, 11:34 AM
thats pretty cool. where did you get it?

Got it from the Cardinals last year, they had a few balls from the series for sale on their website. Nice thing about it was I didn't even have to pay any kind of premium.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

sox83cubs84
08-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Dave,

When was the last time the Indians had a commemorative logo ball? Was it the ball they used in 1997 commemorating them hosting the All-Star game?

The one I caught was the 1994 Inaugural Year of Jacobs Field logo ball.

Dave Miedema

nycsports
08-07-2010, 04:55 PM
I collect baseballs hit by Alex Rodriguez. You can see my collection here:

a-rod-hit-baseballs.com

tigerdale
09-30-2010, 07:56 AM
going thru an old box and ran across some old baseballs...thought I'd share....
Eddie Guardado save ball, Mike Williams save ball, Gregg Olson save ball, Bobby Witt first Devil Ray win ball, Jeff Montgomery save ball, Rod Beck save ball...

tigerdale
09-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Last game at the Astrodome (playoff game from NLDS)....signed & given to me from Matt Mieske...

tigerdale
09-30-2010, 08:02 AM
the last playoff game the Texas Rangers played...(until this season)....signed & inscribed by Johnny Oates...

lakeerie92
09-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Last game at the Astrodome (playoff game from NLDS)....signed & given to me from Matt Mieske...
That NLDS ball is incredible, that is only the second one I have ever even seen from the 1999 series.

ballhawknet
09-30-2010, 10:22 AM
That NLDS ball is incredible, that is only the second one I have ever even seen from the 1999 series.

http://www.ballhawk.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7

So would this home run be the first or third 99 series ball you have seen :rolleyes:

lakeerie92
09-30-2010, 10:33 AM
http://www.ballhawk.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7

So would this home run be the first or third 99 series ball you have seen :rolleyes:

It is the first. Those are the only two I have seen.

indyred
09-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Have any of the Civil Rights game used MLB authenticated baseballs hit the market? Those had cool looking logo on them.

lakeerie92
09-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Have any of the Civil Rights game used MLB authenticated baseballs hit the market? Those had cool looking logo on them.
I haven't even heard of them, much less seen a picture of them. I need to find that.

indyred
09-30-2010, 12:47 PM
See if this picture shows up.
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/100484920.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F556A9887910CF7F15 84CAF64083A8C6F94705CD0E5A229DDFE30A760B0D811297
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/100484920.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F556A9887910CF7F15 84CAF64083A8C6F94705CD0E5A229DDFE30A760B0D811297

SteelCity
09-30-2010, 01:59 PM
I've been looking for one of these baseballs for a while to help complete my collection of MLB Playoff baseballs. Nice snag there!

I was told there were no commemorative baseballs used in any of the Civil Rights games. If there were, I'll be disappointed that I was misinformed - but it's always great to discover a new ball. If anyone has a picture of one, I'd love to see it. And I'd offer a small finders fee to anyone that can get me one to add to The Museum (http://www.photos.bigleaguebaseballs.com/).

cliffjmp33
09-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Courtesy of Photoshelter.com

http://mlbphotos.photoshelter.com/image/I0000vU44.GVau_ohttp://mlbphotos.photoshelter.com/image/I0000vU44.GVau_o

lakeerie92
09-30-2010, 02:42 PM

http://mlbphotos.photoshelter.com/image/I0000vU44.GVau_ohttp://mlbphotos.photoshelter.com/image/I0000vU44.GVau_o

Those are great looking balls, unfortunately I contacted the Reds and the Cardinals and neither one of them have any available. I am sure they are out there, I now need one for my collection.

I posted these in the September pick ups but they go here. Both MLB authenticated.

SteelCity
09-30-2010, 02:55 PM

Many thanks! Cool baseball (they're all cool to me). I'm on the hunt for one. Guess I might as well contribute to the thread as well, some photos and links for my game-used and BP balls:

1987 Black-stamp WS
http://www.photos.bigleaguebaseballs.com/miscellaneous-baseballs-misprints-and-prototypes/BLBB-1989-World-Series-BLACK-Misprint.JPG.php

1996 SD vs. NYM Mexico (doesn't looked used, but I was told it came from the 1st game. It's so rare I didn't care if it was used or not).
http://www.photos.bigleaguebaseballs.com/Official%20Special%20Event%20Game%20Balls/special-event-game-balls-1991-1996/BLB-1996-Primera-Serie-Monterrey-Mexico-wm.jpg.php

Below: 98 Colorado Pre-AS Games, 99 McGwire HRD, 80 WS & AS, Rays Launch Party (from Spring Training '08).

sox83cubs84
09-30-2010, 06:13 PM
I landed (thanks to a Sox coach) Paul Konerko's 34th HR of 2010 at the White Sox game on 9/11. It was my 14th game homer in almost 20 years of hawking and chasing.

Dave Miedema

indyred
10-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Here photo from getty of Leake throwing Civil Rights logo ball from the game. I hope it shows up. So no one has seen any of these Civil Rights game used MLB authenticated balls hit the market? I know jerseys from game went to Steiner I believe.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg88/pnft17/leake.jpg

chakes89
10-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Here are some pictures of a Civil Rights Game game used ball:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/simmo2332/CivilRightsGame077.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/simmo2332/CivilRightsGame073.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/simmo2332/CivilRightsGame075.jpg

allstarsplus
10-01-2010, 12:16 PM

That is impressive! Glad I was able to help you with those Nationals 2005 and 2008 balls.

I have lots of game used HR Derby and All Star balls that I will have to dig through for you.

lakeerie92
10-01-2010, 03:48 PM
That is impressive! Glad I was able to help you with those Nationals 2005 and 2008 balls.

I have lots of game used HR Derby and All Star balls that I will have to dig through for you.

I appreciate the help Andrew, and I am definately interested in you Home Run Derby and All Star game balls.

chakes89
10-01-2010, 04:15 PM
The Civil Rights Ball that I posted is not mine

I just posted pictures so people could see what they look like

Sorry for any confusion

lakeerie92
06-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Update to the collection. I have picked up several baseballs this month. The only one not MLB authenticated is the Civil Rights Game baseball and I got that one myself at this year's game. I did have an authenticated one on the way, but it never made it from UPS to my possession. Hopefully that is all getting sorted out though.

freddiefreeman5
06-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Billy Butler HR #16 08/30/08 .

freddiefreeman5
06-11-2011, 02:57 AM
I sold this one and just bought it back. Glad to have it back!

Carlos Gonzalez triple.

lakeerie92
12-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Update of my commemorative ball collection. All of these are event/game used and authenticated by MLB.

These are some of my best pick ups of the past year. The PNC ball is one of only 2 authenticated during the inaugural game.

asr1084
12-24-2011, 12:17 PM
I never thought id do GU baseballs. However i am a huge lonnie chisenhall fan and i had to bid on (which btw i won) on MLB auctions a week ago on a gu ball. It was a ball from his first mlb hit game. Of course id like to have the actual ball he hit but these guys keep them so no way would mlb get a say. These balls get thrown off the field for the player immediately from what ive seen. Furthermore this makes a general ball from that game just as neat since thats as close as we can possibly get.

dplettn
12-28-2011, 02:18 PM

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Pujols' only postseason I've researched for balls is 2011. And I have not looked into what was authenticated after game 4 of the World Series. Up to that point, I know of 2 (two) separate Pujols hit balls that were authenticated. I stop short of saying "certain" but I'm confident that quantity 2 is correct for the 2011 postseason from NLDS, NLCS, and through game 4 of the World Series.

dplettn
12-28-2011, 02:34 PM
I usually shy away from posting pictures. Not that there is anything wrong with it, its just not something I always like doing.

But, I really like the idea of this particular thread. And with collecting of game used balls not being as widespread as bats or jerseys yet, I wanted to share some of the joys I've had collecting balls in the hopes of putting others onto an idea with which they may find similar enjoyment.

Below is one of Yonder Alonso's early hits. Yonder was an exceptionally nice person to meet, particularly courteous and taking his time to talk while signing this ball.

I hope Yonder playing his natural position in San Diego ultimately serves him. Thanks to the opportunity to meet him (because of the ball) and appreciating the human interaction, I'll have an interest every time I see a Padres game.

Thanks, Yonder!

dplettn
12-28-2011, 02:56 PM
I primarily got interested in collecting game used memorabilia after kids. Many of the items are specifically theirs and not mine. Generally, I have an easier time justifying the expense for items that will be on their mantle to memorialize their experiences one day than to justify the expense of items for me.

One of the really fun things I encourage others to do is to get something used on a special occasion, such as your child's first game.

This particular ball is not the primary item my youngest son will have to commemorate his first game, but it is the only one I'm allowing (and helping) him to get autographed. The ball was used at Opening Day 2011, a pitch which was thrown to the eventual NL MVP.

At Redsfest, while many other game used collectors got to rush to the Game Used Merchandising area I was more focused on helping my kids get to the appropriate lines to get the autograph's on their items.... fortunately... already Travis Wood and Yonder Alonso from the 2011 team have moved on. When Brandon Phillips signed this ball (in the kids-only line) he looked annoyed. I can't blame Brandon, what athlete would expect this ball really does belong to my 1 year old who attended his first game at roughly 4 months of age.

In addition to my youngest son getting autographs for his collection, my eldest son (3) got the first batting practice ball he secured all by himself in the stands autographed by the man who hit it.... Joey Votto.

I'll admit, collecting with my boys has made me a bit youthful myself. I had Jay Bruce autograph the first BP homerun ball I ever got.

For those who need team contacts to help get game used stuff that your families will enjoy forever, please feel free to ask me: plettner@fuse.net

My pet-peeve though is people who buy stuff only for the purpose to opportunistically resell it.

dplettn
12-28-2011, 03:15 PM
You are thinking of Zack Hample

He has over 3,500 balls now

I met Zach while taking my son to batting practice. Interesting guy. I'll never forget the look on player Jose Arredeondo's face when Zach did his glove, pencil, rope, rubber band trick to fetch a ball that was still on the fan.

After Zach fetched it, Jose rolled another ball to the exact location from which Zach had taken the 1st. Again, Jose watched in disbelief with his jaw on his chest.

About Zach, he does try and help all the kids at BP get a ball. And obviously, that is the way it should be.

dplettn
12-28-2011, 09:32 PM
When I think of a game used baseball I think of the actual ball that was hit for a particular achievement. Homerun #100 of a platers career, Hit number 1000 of a players career, etc. I don't like when MLB saves all the balls from a game and then puts them in their auctions as game used ball from the game when so and so reached XXX accomplishment. I think this is kind of misleading and someone could believe that that ball was the actual hit or thrown ball when that milestone was accomplished.

Getting back to the core notion of this thread, I very much share in this preference for hits themselves in my collecting. Below is a picture of my Drew Stubbs 3 RBI double ball.

I do enjoy seeing what hits and/or home run balls others have collected.

dplettn
12-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Attached is one of my favorite hit balls, which brings up a point that is worthy of discussion... hit balls by discovery.

This ball is Joey Votto's 600th hit (and his first hit on the day he slammed his 100th and 101st home run). However, it is not authenticated that way. At this location, the authenticator only took notes on the last action the ball had before it left play. This particular ball was authenticated exactly one pitch after the hit which makes the ball special to me. To say I was pleased to discover this ball, and that I had fun in the research process is an understatement.

Different clubs have different ways of working with their authenticators to have balls and other items authenticated for each item's true relevance.

One thing I've noticed is that there is momentum where authentications are getting more and more relevant, and more broadly relevant venue by venue over time.

brianborsch
12-30-2011, 01:01 PM
This ball is one I was excited about simply because this player plays hard and has a lot of potential. It is Joe Benson's (Twins Prospect) 2nd MLB hit ball. What makes this ball cool is that, not only is this the 1st ball the public (in most cases) could get of a player's hit balls (as in almost all situations the player gets their first hit ball), but this is his actual 1st career double!

Hoping he hits many more in the coming years! :)

gunnerleigh
12-30-2011, 05:53 PM
I’m not a big game-used ball collector, instead preferring to focus on Kansas City Royals jerseys. However, about a decade ago I picked up an historic game-used ball. It’s the game ball from July 27, 1983 (just three days after the infamous Pine Tar game) when the Royals beat the Indians 5-4. The ball is signed by the game-winning pitcher (Gaylord Perry, his 1st win of the season), the day’s catcher (John Wathan, his 311th win … who knew he was keeping track!), and the late, great Dan Quisenberry (his 25th save … yet, the internet says that game was his 26th save?). All three have signed and annotated their respective information. Not sure who the ball was for or how it ended up in my possession (eBay I think). But, it’s a fantastic ball from the Golden Age of my beloved Royals.

dplettn
01-29-2012, 12:39 AM
I am grateful for Brandon Phillips' patient courtesy in making not only the double/RBI inscription I asked for, but also adding "Interleague Play vs Rays", which I enjoy seeing on the ball.

Phillips' 1st inning RBI double (FJ316332) was actually the game winner in a 5-0 shutout. Phillips finished the game 4 of 5 with two runs scored and two RBIs.

jetersbatboy
08-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Here is my newly acquired Derek Jeter singed base hit baseball!

Hologram number FJ181444 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
Session Product Description:
Session Name: NYY AT TEX
Session Date: September 10, 2010
Autographer:
Additional Information: D. JETER #2 SINGLE OFF CJ WILSON #36 TOP 3RD

Dewey2007
08-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Nice Jeter pickup Scott!

To keep the shortstop theme going, I recently acquired my first ever game used baseball. It is a Jimmy Rollins double vs Minnesota on 6/14/12. Did some research on the hit and it turns out it was J-Roll's 400th career double.

dplettn
08-09-2012, 11:35 AM
The Reds may have just had a bad series, but this team is for real. In anticipation of starting a new winning streak, I wanted to share one of the balls that is among my most cherished purchased this year.

Aroldis Chapman’s 152nd career strikeout, after falling behind Ryan Braun three balls to no strikes. This strikeout began the “somersault save” (career #10) on June 26, 2012. That save started Chapman's current streak.

The day I purchased it, my son held it up in the stands of GABP for good luck as Chapman (again) struck out the side, to complete a sweep of the Defending World Champions and sweep and retake 1st place in the Central.

Buying Joey Votto items. I am buying (preferred) and when required by the other party will secondarily consider trading for game used Joey Votto items (balls that are Votto hits or Votto HRs, game used bats, etc). If you have such items I’d appreciate to hear from you, even if you are not intending to sell. I am pretty private and don’t post much of my stuff so if you’d like to know what items you might entice from me for a Votto item I’d love you’ll need to start the dialogue.

My e-mail is plettner@fuse.net. If you (like myself) collect or want to collect Joey Votto items, please know you can buy direct from the Reds through Jon Cline of Reds Authentics. You can contact him at jcline@reds.com Reds Authentics’ proceeds go toward the Reds Community Fund. It’s a good cause and certainly a more productive choice than to enrich the small opportunistic reseller(s) who buy from Reds Authentics only to themself remarket it.

rdeversole
08-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Nice ball Dewey! - you should post pictures of your other new Rollins ball if you haven't aready.

Nice Jeter pickup Scott!

To keep the shortstop theme going, I recently acquired my first ever game used baseball. It is a Jimmy Rollins double vs Minnesota on 6/14/12. Did some research on the hit and it turns out it was J-Roll's 400th career double.

TBTwinsFan
08-11-2012, 08:46 PM
I wish I had more, but here is what I do have...

This is one from the 2011 NYPL All-Star Game. It is signed by some players and one of the coaches. I have to go back through the rosters and get a couple names off of it.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/TBTwinsFan/GEDC0377.jpg

I haven't checked the authentication on this one in a while. It was Jays & Twins in 2010. I know it was a foul ball by JJ Hardy, that's about all I remember. I wanted a ball with the stadium logo on it.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/TBTwinsFan/904d67ce.jpg

I also own these. The one in the back that can't be seen is a Miguel Tejada Home Run Derby ball, and it's authenticated. I haven't checked the authentication in the others since I got them and I cannot remember when they were used. That blank ball was a BP used ball picked up at a Northwoods League game rainout. Gates don't open until after BP so I don't know which team it belonged too.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/TBTwinsFan/DSCN0956.jpg

jake33
08-13-2012, 09:57 AM
all star game used single, ASG log is perfect...

dplettn
12-10-2012, 04:53 PM
The Reds may have just had a bad series, but this team is for real. In anticipation of starting a new winning streak, I wanted to share one of the balls that is among my most cherished purchased this year.

Aroldis Chapman’s 152nd career strikeout, after falling behind Ryan Braun three balls to no strikes. This strikeout began the “somersault save” (career #10) on June 26, 2012. That save started Chapman's current streak.

The day I purchased it, my son held it up in the stands of GABP for good luck as Chapman (again) struck out the side, to complete a sweep of the Defending World Champions and sweep and retake 1st place in the Central.

Buying Joey Votto items. I am buying (preferred) and when required by the other party will secondarily consider trading for game used Joey Votto items (balls that are Votto hits or Votto HRs, game used bats, etc). If you have such items I’d appreciate to hear from you, even if you are not intending to sell. I am pretty private and don’t post much of my stuff so if you’d like to know what items you might entice from me for a Votto item I’d love you’ll need to start the dialogue.

My e-mail is plettner@fuse.net. If you (like myself) collect or want to collect Joey Votto items, please know you can buy direct from the Reds through Jon Cline of Reds Authentics. You can contact him at jcline@reds.com Reds Authentics’ proceeds go toward the Reds Community Fund. It’s a good cause and certainly a more productive choice than to enrich the small opportunistic reseller(s) who buy from Reds Authentics only to themself remarket it.

I wanted to take a moment to express gratitude toward Aroldis Chapman and Tomas Vera. I left the RCF Poker Tourney at Redsfest to get this ball signed after winning an autograph sweepstakes. Given the challenges for a Spanish speaking player to do such a unique inscription, I really think it speaks volumes for Aroldis and Tomas. Thank you.

emst51
01-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Heres a few of my favorite game used balls.

Session Name: ATL AT NYM
Session Date: August 07, 2011
Autographer:
Additional Information: DILLON GEE THROWN TO MARTIN PRADO, HIT BY PITCH, TOP 3RD INNING

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?saduie=AG9B_P_baUq9-rfBIb5Yp1p1ExqD&attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=13c4bbfea85173bc

Heres a game used strikeout ball pitched by Julio Teheran. I got Teheran pitched ball last year but I gave to to a young kid sitting next to me. SO getting a ball again this year made this one even cooler. Hopefully if Teheran is still in the minors this year ill get it signed

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?saduie=AG9B_P_baUq9-rfBIb5Yp1p1ExqD&attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=13c4bcc6b864ab6c

I also got the line up card from that game im kind of undecieded if Im gonna try to get signed by the players or leave it as is. Theres lots of good players on the card.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?saduie=AG9B_P_baUq9-rfBIb5Yp1p1ExqD&attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=13c4bd5cf7f2e72d

I also got game used ball pitched by Randall Delgado. I also got it signed the next day
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?saduie=AG9B_P_baUq9-rfBIb5Yp1p1ExqD&attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=13c4bdbf1d096e4c

And this one is my favorite ball. I got it on the field during batting practice at Turner Field before a Braves Nats game in 2009 was the final series of the year. It was my first trip tp the Ted. Also after the season finale I got a ball signed by Garrett Anderson and as far as I know it was the last autograph he signed as a Brave. If I would have been smart I would have had him inscribe 2500 hits on it. They Celebrated his 2500 hit that weekend.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?saduie=AG9B_P_baUq9-rfBIb5Yp1p1ExqD&attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=13c4bf1c178491c7

emst51
01-18-2013, 12:19 AM
Sorry the pictures did up load but here they are in order.

esigs
01-19-2013, 04:13 PM
My first ever ball of any kind I got at a MLB game was a foul ball (top left), which started my GU collection. I was lucky for being at the right place at the right time as the ball came straight to my hand. Then there are two other balls where I was lucky but had positioned myself for the chance to get lucky: top right - 3rd out ball that was pitched by Greinke, popped up by Cruz, caught by Pujols who tossed to Iannetta, who tossed to me; bottom left, practice ball signed by McGwire before 2012 NLDS game 3. Finally, the last ball is from the Clark Griffith wooden bat collegiate Summer league, which I threw the first pitch, and was signed by 14 players (only 1 made it the majors). None of these are hit balls, nor authenticated by MLB, but they are probably meaningful only to me because I had something to do with getting them vs if I had bought them because the ball was hit or thrown by some specific player. :D

esigs
01-19-2013, 04:20 PM
The two balls on the left are MLB authenticated and signed by Cal Ripken Jr from his farewell season. The ball on the top right was Pudge Rodriguez's 50th career triple, and the ball on the bottom right was used but I don't know when.