Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpick
    • Oct 2006

Show off YOUR game used baseballs...

When I think of a game used baseball I think of the actual ball that was hit for a particular achievement. Homerun #100 of a platers career, Hit number 1000 of a players career, etc. I don't like when MLB saves all the balls from a game and then puts them in their auctions as game used ball from the game when so and so reached XXX accomplishment. I think this is kind of misleading and someone could believe that that ball was the actual hit or thrown ball when that milestone was accomplished.
  • brianborsch
    • Dec 2005

Re: Game used baseballs

I agree. I actually started to think that mlb.com never sells actual hit balls, which for hits in a regular season game, I have never seen. I did manage to pick up a couple of game used baseballs from the futures game which were actual hits in that game. Thats as close as I have gotten though.

Comment

• OaklandAsFan
      • Sep 2007

you guys should have seen mlb officials hording all the baseballs during the WBC a few years back. After every hit or foul tip they were grabbing them up and noting what inning and what happened. my buddy was a clubby for the USA team and even he couldnt get a baseball from it. Thankfully I got to know some of the guys on the South African team and I got one of them to give me a foul ball from their gave vs Mexico in Scottsdale.

Comment

• 10thMan
        • Dec 2006

Interesting thread...
        Last year at Angels Stadium they would often toss out lots of game used baseballs after the game ended. This year, after Garret Andersons 10 Rbi game (vs. Yankees) I noticed (when entering the stadium) they were selling MLB authenticated "game-used" baseballs.

After that, I havent seen them toss out a single ball! Plenty for sale though!

Sean

Comment

• brianborsch
          • Dec 2005

Yeah, but they never sell the balls that were actually used for a hit. They probably sell it to the player or keep it themselves...

Comment

• skyking26
            • Dec 2005

Greed
            ROBERT KOPPEL
            Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
            and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• bigtruck260
              • Sep 2007

You know, the Cardinals sell game used baseballs for $50 - and frankly, it's not a terrible idea. I mean, I have seen Photomints with a sliver of game used baseball (enough to fit a hologram on) sell for $50 and more. I buy them occasionally...for two reasons. I have some items from the 2006 season that would look good framed with something else...and having a game ball from that particular day is kinda cool...

I took my toddler son to a game earlier this year, and bought a ball from that day as a keepsake a few months later...not really an investment, but it's not real practical to make a 100 foot net and attempt to catch every foul ball in the surrounding sections...

It gets kind of crazy when World Series balls are selling for $2500 and the bag is labled "Vizcaino tip in dirt". That's a little overboard. But for regular game balls - $50 isn't too bad to memorialize a good game...heck, I spend $75 to $100 on beer and food.
              Dave
              Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
              River City Redbird Authentics
              http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• brianborsch
                • Dec 2005

I agree with you on that note. Having a game used piece from a memorable game can be nice. But why don't they sell the actual hit balls. I can tell you, I am a HUGE fan of Adrian Cardenas, and I paid $100 for the ball he hit for a bloop single in the Futures Game and I am ecstatic about it as it is a hit ball from my favorite player. Now the chances of me coming across another game used ball that was actually counting for a hit by Mr. Cardenas is not good considering the past history on the actual availability of balls like this.
                We want more balls that were a result of actual hits, which may mean more attention and documentation on MLB's part.

Brian B

Comment

• OaklandAsFan
                  • Sep 2007

I had 4 of the baseballs from isringhausen in games he saved for the A's in 2001. He threw them to either me or my daughter after each of those 4 games then signed them later on with save #. Alas they are gone now cause my vindictive b**** of an ex wife stole half my collection and sold or destroyed it before i could get to it when we separated. Aside from that the only game used baseball I have any longer is from the WBC South Africa vs Mexico game.

Comment

• richpick
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by OaklandAsFan
                    Alas they are gone now cause my vindictive b**** of an ex wife stole half my collection and sold or destroyed it before i could get to it when we separated
                    If it wasn't for mothers throwing away our old baseball cards and vindictive ex wifes we would have some great stuff

I feel your pain

Richard

Comment

• 33bird
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2005

I have two game used baseballs. One is a game used World Series ball from game #1 of the 1976 World Series between the Reds and Yanks. Right from the 580 Reds Gift Shop. The other one is a game used Johnny Bench HR ball from 1976-hit July 3rd-his 249th (to the right of the Jeff Kent HR ball). Should I get them autographed or not??
                      Greg
                      Attached Files

Comment

• bigjimsguitars
                        • Sep 2007

Also the same at Dodger Stadium as earlier in the year, the bat boys would regularily toss foul balls to the kids in the expensive Dug Out Club seats and even saw a player give a cracked bat or two to a fan....

However as the season progressed less of this happened. Yes, the 3rd out ball usually ended up in the stands, but that too wasn't a given late in the season.

The Dodgers also sell GU baseballs at some the the concession stands for $35.00 to 45.00, but it's a crap shoot as to what game they are from and you will only know once you get home and enter the MLB Authenication on the MLB website...

It seems to me that there is a homonization of all of the stadiums these days and that includes GU Memorabilia.
                        Always looking for Dodger Game Used Jerseys

Comment

• bigtruck260
                          • Sep 2007

Not sure who does the autheitcation of game used balls in your town...but in STL Deloitte is right next to the stadium. I would imagine that MLB hires 1-2 guys per game to holograms bats/balls/jerseys. It is just easier (and cheaper) to collect foul tips than asking the ump to stop the game and toss in a player-hit ball. I go to enough home games to know that Albert tosses a ball into the stands EVERY time he comes off of the field. Players are pretty good about doing this. Even Cubs players (haha).

IF you don't pay for the expensive home dugout seats, you can pay for a ball - granted, getting a ball tossed by Albert is better than buying a ball that was fouled off by Derrick Turnbow.
                          Dave
                          Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                          River City Redbird Authentics
                          http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• Tedw9
                            • Jul 2007

The Red Sox used to sell a nice variety of game used items right across the street from the stadium in Yawkey Way Store. Last year I was able to get a game used baseball, find out what game it was from and pick up the line up card from the same game. The ball cost me $50 and the line up card was $125.

Now the Sox have a deal with Steiner going and that same combination would set me back $750! The baseballs are now $150 and line up cards are $600. And those balls are not hit balls or anything special, just game used. I liked it better when I could go to a game and buy directly from the Sox, now with Steiner involved, I will not be able to afford as much as I would have before.

Comment

• bigjimsguitars
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Tedw9
                              The Red Sox used to sell a nice variety of game used items right across the street from the stadium in Yawkey Way Store. Last year I was able to get a game used baseball, find out what game it was from and pick up the line up card from the same game. The ball cost me $50 and the line up card was $125.

Now the Sox have a deal with Steiner going and that same combination would set me back $750! The baseballs are now $150 and line up cards are $600. And those balls are not hit balls or anything special, just game used. I liked it better when I could go to a game and buy directly from the Sox, now with Steiner involved, I will not be able to afford as much as I would have before.
                              I went to the 9/25/07 game at Dodger Stadium and low and behold, there was a prominent Steiner Sports Advertising Sign in the Right Field Pavilion...Excuse the pun, but is it a "Sign" of things to come?

It would be sad as it too would mean KaChing for the corporate shirts at the price of real fans....

However, game used balls were still available on the Club Level, but not sure if anywhere else in the stadium. I will be going on the 30th and maybe I will buy a couple of them before the prices shoot out of sight.

BTW, was able to get a couple of lineup cards back in the 90's as one of the key ushers at Dodger Stadium who got a couple for me...however he retired that same year....
                              Always looking for Dodger Game Used Jerseys

Comment

Working...