PDA

View Full Version : Met Mystery #21

Swoboda4
09-02-2009, 09:35 AM
This seller is one of my favorites. I've bought items from him in the past and will continue to do so. So when another one of my favorite players surfaced ,Mark Whiten,as having a Met uniform pants for auction I went to Mets by the Numbers,but didn't see him mentioned anywhere let alone during 2003 where Raul Gonzalez had #21 throughout 2003. It states he was a coach but would a ST coach have his name stitched in the pants? Could this be a minor league assignment? I Googled Whiten and Mets but nothing. Does anyone know a "Whiten" assigned to the Mets?
http://thmb.inkfrog.com/thumbn/slabbedquality/whiten.jpg=600

MarinersFan34
09-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Hard Hittin' Whiten did try to make a comeback in 2003 and he did play with the Long Island Ducks briefly. It's possible that he was going to try to make a comeback with the Mets and they had some semi arranged agreement, thus the pants being made?

Otherwise I have no clue as to any other Whiten playing ball.

willyguu
09-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi Swaboda...I am new to the board and am curious, as I was a ballboy for the AAA tides in the early 90's, how to value minor league uniforms...

Could you help? As I posted on the board, I have a jersey and pants from Todd Hundley #33 (was his number because of Campenella I believe - but Barry Lyons had it for the Mets...)...Great condition with a little wear...

Also, note on the pants (used pants were sent down from mets to save $$, there is sharpie in the pants lining that is faded but says "Doc"...interesting...

Thanks

Swoboda4
09-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Hi,welcome. Minor league uniforms are important if it can be traced to the player. If you have a Todd Hundley uniform that was given directly to you its a special piece to have. What's the main question you have about it?

willyguu
09-06-2009, 07:56 PM
just curious for insurance purposes (as in should i get insurance on it)...

It is autographed right under the number and he did give it directly to me....I am in the team photo as a batboy...

any idea what these things are worth? Never really thought about selling it...

Swoboda4
09-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Insurance is a good idea for some items. I've never insured any of my items but you're making me think though. For this particular item I'd say no. If its his first pro uniform (1987 Little Falls) he's ever worn, its worth a little more. He was as you know ,a 2 time all-Star but not a Hall of Famer. He's got over 200 home runs but unfortunately he been implicated as taking steroids-so the value goes down. At best it's a father-son success story with his dad himself a catcher with the Cubs in the late 60's and his son making it .
I can't read back what you posted as I type, but if it's the whole uniform it can(unfortunately) sell for as low as $150,and with a bidding war maybe $300. I don't see this going over $500. He's got a lot of female fans so who knows.
I have a lot of items that if I sold them wouldn't achieve the price I want and this I feel is one of them. Hold on to it. It's more important for you to keep since he gave it to you. I'd frame it with the photo of yourself with the team. A very nice item to have. If you can, post that team photo and the jersey.