PDA

View Full Version : Question on Storing Baseballs?

ryanhoward#6
05-29-2006, 05:44 AM
Hello. I'm sorry to be posting this in a Game Used Forum but I know that there are alot of smart people on this board that can help me out. I just had question regarding how to store Autographed Baseballs so they don't change colors like they mostly do overtime and get spots on them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all for your help and sorry to post this on here.

kylehess10
05-29-2006, 08:05 AM
I store my signed baseballs in those UV Protected Ball Holders. Their only $2-$3 each and I've never had any problems with them.

icollectDCsports
05-29-2006, 10:18 AM
This is an excellent topic. Seems like the 3 variables with respect to toning and spotting of a ball are:

1. Light exposure.
2. Substances on the surface of the ball.
3. The composition of container the ball is held in.

1. We know that exposing a ball to light can at least dull its whiteness and also lead to yellowing. UV protection is helpful, but limiting the time auto'd balls are exposed is probably a good idea.

2. We know that perspiration and oils can be transferred from hands onto the surface of the ball and then lead to toning, sometimes uneven splotching, so auto'd balls should almost never be handled by bare hands. The blank ball that is to be auto'd ideally should be fresh from the box, but of course this won't be the case with game used balls. A team signed ball is passed from player to player, sometimes in a clubhouse involving players with sweaty hands. Can't do much about this either.

3. I believe ball cubes from the major manufacturers are safe for storage and are not made with any materials which could transfer to or otherwise interact with the surface of the balls. It's my understanding, however, that baseballs can become toned and/or splotched if stored in the baseball boxes they came in. That's mostly because the cardboard can react with the oils on the ball from people's hands. Of course, where you put the ball cubes is important, as you need to protect from factor #1, light, and moisture.

stlbats
05-29-2006, 10:47 PM
I store all my autod baseballs in Ultra Pro UV cubes and keep them in a room where no one ever goes, so they stay in the dark. However several of them have toned and got yellow splots on them. I have been told this is from moisture/oils off of hands, and also told that it is the glue from the ball that the cover is glued on with. Someone said that the glue is either heavier in spots or the cover is thinner?? who knows, but it sucks when you have an expensive ball or a ball it took you forever to get signed gets messed up.

Jason

Calrima
05-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Friends,

All of the Above advice is GREAT. Doing autograph shows, we have found that EVEN opening up a case of 6 dozen Baseballs, that every once in a while some are slightly imperfect.

Even when opening up boxes , that had the same exact storage conditions, opver the years, sometimes a BALL, still yellows.

However, if you follow the Forums advice, you can certainly better your long terms odds.

Den:o