PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Team - old, game used, fiberglass batting helmet....Recognize the logo?

cjw
09-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Picked this fibreglass batting helmet yesterday in a junk shop. It is thrashed, and while it looks like an ABC helmet, it has no ABC stickers etc...., but has a small, worn "Made in Japan" sticker on the inside.

Can anyone tell me when fiberglass helmets were last used?

The logo sticker is mishapen, but it looks like it might have been a "B". Not right for Boston, I would think.

Any guesses?

cjw
09-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Any chance that it could be an outline of a Brooklyn or Boston backing of the logo decal?

jppopma
09-16-2009, 01:12 AM
CJW, Does it look like the logo outline is directly from behind the logo? It may be a "B" like you are thinking and just some extra paint removal from when the decal was removed. It looks sort of jagged like when you peel something off and takes a little extra with it. Maybe you can feel to see if this is the case. Good luck.

cjw
09-16-2009, 04:20 PM
CJW, Does it look like the logo outline is directly from behind the logo? It may be a "B" like you are thinking and just some extra paint removal from when the decal was removed. It looks sort of jagged like when you peel something off and takes a little extra with it. Maybe you can feel to see if this is the case. Good luck.

Thanks for the post!

The white area is all sticker/decal residue or backing. The outline of it has been mashed up a bit, and it looks like it was used or moved around post the removal of the top of the sticker/decal. I am tempted to remove the remaining sticker to see if it was placed over an older logo (painted on or otherwise) but not sure if I should. chris

tcfor3
09-17-2009, 12:33 PM
This looks like a Bowie Baysox (Orioles AA minor league team in Bowie, Md.) helmet that has had the logo removed.

ironmanfan
09-17-2009, 01:12 PM
This looks like a Bowie Baysox (Orioles AA minor league team in Bowie, Md.) helmet that has had the logo removed.

The only problem is that is that fiberglass helmets were no longer in use well before the start of the BaySox.

cjw
09-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys. Still stumped. chris

cjw
09-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Well, came across the helmet again, and decided to carefully remove the sticker. The outline of a painted "B" is below. Anyone have a new guess as go the team?
http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u349/stealhome/d8f96aa6.jpg

cjw
11-06-2010, 01:57 AM
Any chance Baltimore had this block style B as their helmet logos in the this era? Thanks

sox83cubs84
11-06-2010, 04:48 PM
The Orioles had a block B logo on their caps in 1963. However, I've never seen a photo of the corresponding batting helmet, and, from memory, the design and color of the cap B is a bit different from this helmet B.

Dave Miedema

ironmanfan
11-06-2010, 05:59 PM
I thought this one may lead to something, but unfortunately it doesn't..It's a shot of the Orioles' Gene Woodling in 1955:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Misc%20Orioles/1woodling1955.jpg

ironmanfan
11-07-2010, 08:55 AM
The Orioles had a block B logo on their caps in 1963. However, I've never seen a photo of the corresponding batting helmet, and, from memory, the design and color of the cap B is a bit different from this helmet B.

Dave Miedema

Not to mention that the Orioles only wore those B logo hats @ home

Anyone here have a 1964 Orioles yearbook?