PDA

View Full Version : This Thome stuff is exhausting!!!.......

suicide_squeeze
09-06-2009, 05:55 PM
I know something like this should go under the "Items wanted" posts, but there is a bit of a story to go along with this...

I have been going to every single game (alone, mind you, because my wife thinks I'm a nut) just to try to get to the lucky fan that may catch Thome's first home run as a Dodger.

I really don't care that it's the first......I just want an authentic Jim Thome home run ball. It's a major void in my home run ball collection.

Can anyone here that might have one help put me out of my misery and sell it to me? It has to have great provenance, but I'll pay you for it. The only prerequisite is that it has to be easily identifiable as real, based on what you have that comes with it (pictures, witnesses, etc.).

If I am lucky enough to get to the fan who catches his first one, assuming there will BE a first one since he is only getting one at bat a game (if he even has an appearance), or unbelieveably lucky enough to catch it myself, I'll post pics.

Well, I'm off to the Dodger game. Maybe my http://www.barbandgreg.com/images/Emoticons/imrich.gifawaits me tonight.

Don't hold your breath......I'm sure not.

skyking26
09-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Being a Thome fan myself, I scratch my head still at this move. A great hitter he is - but to stick him on the pine thru Sept and a week of Oct for what, one AB 'maybe' a game to be lifted by for pinch runner just makes no sense at all........

What would have made sense would have been a trade to another AL contender so he could DH, get his 4 AB's in and be more productive. You'll be spending ALOT of $$ at Dodger games that is for sure.................

RK

frikativ54
09-06-2009, 06:31 PM
I know something like this should go under the "Items wanted" posts, but there is a bit of a story to go along with this...

I have been going to every single game (alone, mind you, because my wife thinks I'm a nut) just to try to get to the lucky fan that may catch Thome's first home run as a Dodger.

I really don't care that it's the first......I just want an authentic Jim Thome home run ball. It's a major void in my home run ball collection.

I wish you luck on your pursuit. I too am a fan of Thome, but I don't own any of his game-used stuff. :)

treant985
09-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Thome had a no-trade clause, right? Maybe the Dodgers were the only contender who came knocking, so Thome figured he'd rather be a PH for a play-off team for a few weeks, then use the off-season to see what kind of market he can draw for being a full-time player.

allstarsplus
09-07-2009, 09:32 AM

My wife and your wife can compare notes. ;)

I admire your tenacity in trying to secure the prize! The chase will all be worth it if you get the treasure!

By the way, these nuts are great!

allstarsplus
09-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Steve - Do you want to do something really nutty and fly to Washington for the Dodgers series at the end of the month? With the low attendence, you have a better shot of getting a Thome HR ball in Washington!

suicide_squeeze
09-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Well, had a moment of a heart blurb last night. Was sitting in the left field bleachers (with a right field bleachers ticket in my back pocket just in case....) when Thome got under one which at first had the stadium screaming. It was heading right towards me.....but fell short and was caught for an out. :( It's so depressing to see Mark Loretta running out of the dugout for the ninth to play first. I mean, c'mon....leave Thome in the game. This "one-at-bat" every other game just doesn't work. It's not going to keep Thome sharp.

Andrew, I'm checking out airline tickets as we speak. I just may do that, thanks a ton for the suggestion. You seem to be one of the rare ones in this hobby who can understand when another collector "has it bad". ;) You "get it", Andrew.

I have to agree with RK (skyking26). Even though Thome himself called the Dodgers 1/2 an hour before last Friday nights deadline to say "bring me on over", this move really makes little sense.

If his bat is so special, and we know it can be, then make a bit of playing time for the guy. I don't care if he hasn't played regularly at first base for two years, I'm sure he can still handle the leather just fine.

Being a DH for two years is different than being a PH.

He has already stated he wants to play one more year next year, his last stint for an American league team as a DH, so this was his one last attempt at a shot at a ring. I understand all of that. But ONE at bat every other game? What's the point? When you aren't getting more rips at professional pitching than ONE at bat.....it's just not going to happen.

And Les, thanks for the well wishes, I really appreciate it.

Here's a few pictures.....(From Saturdays game)....

WadeInBmore
09-07-2009, 05:08 PM
steve...

email sent buddy.

wade

skyking26
09-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Well, had a moment of a heart blurb last night. Was sitting in the left field bleachers (with a right field bleachers ticket in my back pocket just in case....) when Thome got under one which at first had the stadium screaming. It was heading right towards me.....but fell short and was caught for an out. :( It's so depressing to see Mark Loretta running out of the dugout for the ninth to play first. I mean, c'mon....leave Thome in the game. This "one-at-bat" every other game just doesn't work. It's not going to keep Thome sharp.

Andrew, I'm checking out airline tickets as we speak. I just may do that, thanks a ton for the suggestion. You seem to be one of the rare ones in this hobby who can understand when another collector "has it bad". ;) You "get it", Andrew.

I have to agree with RK (skyking26). Even though Thome himself called the Dodgers 1/2 an hour before last Friday nights deadline to say "bring me on over", this move really makes little sense.

If his bat is so special, and we know it can be, then make a bit of playing time for the guy. I don't care if he hasn't played regularly at first base for two years, I'm sure he can still handle the leather just fine.

He has already stated he wants to play one more year next year, his last stint for an American league team as a DH, so this was his one last attempt at a shot at a ring. I understand all of that. But ONE at bat every other game? What's the point? When you aren't getting more rips at professional pitching than ONE at bat.....it's just not going to happen.

Steve: All well said. I think in hindsight if Thome does not regret the move now, he'll regret it later......... At this stage of the game he needs to stay in the AL.

Thome was a good defensive guy. Far better then many HR guys often are. He's went on record stating that his back will not hold up to 1st base anymore, and that would be about the only spot for him. He's DH all the way. He way never reach 600 now...

bronx_burner
09-07-2009, 05:31 PM
I don't quite get this thinking. Its like you are saying that 600 HRs should be more important to him than a World Series Ring. If the Dodgers don't make the World Series, whats he going to regret? Not staying in Chicago and getting maybe 5 more HRs this year? I guarantee he would have regretted not accepting the trade a million times more if the Dodgers do win the World Series.

Seems to me that Thome is thinking the right way here. I can't understand how anyone is second guessing anything. A player who wants in the worst way to win over padding his stats is wrong?

skyking26
09-07-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't quite get this thinking. Its like you are saying that 600 HRs should be more important to him than a World Series Ring. If the Dodgers don't make the World Series, whats he going to regret? Not staying in Chicago and getting maybe 5 more HRs this year? I guarantee he would have regretted not accepting the trade a million times more if the Dodgers do win the World Series.

Seems to me that Thome is thinking the right way here. I can't understand how anyone is second guessing anything. A player who wants in the worst way to win over padding his stats is wrong?
Maybe if I were Thome still in Chicago I'd be looking ahead to the AL and a team in contention I could DH for and sign with in 2010 accomplishing my goals of 600 HRS and a ring at the same time rather than sitting on the pine and getting 1 AB a game...

Trust me here, I wasn't looking for an argument, just did not understand the rationale..............

thomecollector
09-07-2009, 06:34 PM
It's all about the ring. He's told me that. Most of the guys he played with back then picked up rings elsewhere. He would rather have the ring than 600. If he gets a ring this year. He probably calls it a day.
Unless there is no way he can say no. I myself am disappointed that he hasn't had but a couple AB. We'll see how it goes. Dodgers have so many bats though. I am looking forward to the Washington series. That way I can see him a few more times this year.. As for him being a Yankee NEVER.

frikativ54
09-07-2009, 07:49 PM
It's all about the ring. He's told me that. Most of the guys he played with back then picked up rings elsewhere. He would rather have the ring than 600. If he gets a ring this year. He probably calls it a day.
Unless there is no way he can say no. I myself am disappointed that he hasn't had but a couple AB. We'll see how it goes. Dodgers have so many bats though. I am looking forward to the Washington series. That way I can see him a few more times this year.. As for him being a Yankee NEVER.

It's reasons such as these that I am no longer a big Thome fan. He puts money and winning above team loyalty, which was evidenced by him leaving the Indians in the first place. It's too bad that rings are put above everything else in sports, but sadly, that's the kind of guy Thome seems to be. I still like him, but I have trouble getting beyond the crap he pulled with the Indians.

thomecollector
09-07-2009, 08:07 PM
It's reasons such as these that I am no longer a big Thome fan. He puts money and winning above team loyalty, which was evidenced by him leaving the Indians in the first place. It's too bad that rings are put above everything else in sports, but sadly, that's the kind of guy Thome seems to be. I still like him, but I have trouble getting beyond the crap he pulled with the Indians.
What are you babbling about ? Kenny approached him about the trade. The only thing about money was on the Sox part. They signed that piece of crap Rios, and they wanted to unload some players. He didn't ask for it. Would you rather him waive his trade to a loser. As for the Indians. They wouldn't have brought him back anyway. They were rebuilding. As far as loyalty. You'll never find more of a team player. Go back to your hole.....:mad:

frikativ54
09-07-2009, 08:33 PM
What are you babbling about ? Kenny approached him about the trade. The only thing about money was on the Sox part. They signed that piece of crap Rios, and they wanted to unload some players. He didn't ask for it. Would you rather him waive his trade to a loser. As for the Indians. They wouldn't have brought him back anyway. They were rebuilding. As far as loyalty. You'll never find more of a team player. Go back to your hole.....:mad:

Perhaps you missed my point. I was saying nothing about money and Dodgers deal, just that it doesn't surprise me that Thome's just after the ring, especially after team loyalty went down the drain with the Indians. That's when I lost (some of my) respect for Thome. If Thome had an ounce of loyalty, he would never have left Cleveland.

Thome is a team player?!?! He wouldn't even be an active player, if it weren't for the DH. Don't let your love of Thome bias you to the facts.

frikativ54
09-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Perhaps you missed my point. I was saying nothing about money and Dodgers deal, just that it doesn't surprise me that Thome's just after the ring, especially after team loyalty went down the drain with the Indians. That's when I lost (some of my) respect for Thome. If Thome had an ounce of loyalty, he would never have left Cleveland.

Thome is a team player?!?! He wouldn't even be an active player, if it weren't for the DH. Don't let your love of Thome bias you to the facts.

Technically, I should have said "bench player", as there are quite a few teams that would take Thome in his current role.

thomecollector
09-07-2009, 08:50 PM

You're too much. Thome did leave the Indians. They left him. They were not going to resign him anyway. They made him a token offer,knowing that he wouldn't take it. That's why the Indians continue to trade off their best players before they have to pay them. As for the ring. Kenny knew that he wouldn't be able to win a Championship this year. So he ask Jim if he would accept a trade . Knowing that Jim is getting towards the end of his career, he wanted to trade him to a contender. So he might have a chance.You know only what you read in the papers. Try reading the Chicago papers once in awhile. Like I said find something else that you know about to chime in on.

allstarsplus
09-07-2009, 08:52 PM

A lot easier getting that HR ball on the road too. I could see Dodgers fans wanting to keep it. I doubt most Nats fans would care.