PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Season

jetersbatboy
09-06-2009, 07:16 PM
I was just wondering if someone could tell me, what criteria has to be met for a player to have a MLB rookie season (at bats, games played,etc.).
Thanks Scott

suave1477
09-06-2009, 07:25 PM
I believe this is what your looking for

A player can be voted upon for the ROY Awards in any season, up to and including the season in which his career totals exceed:

a. 130 at-bats
b. 50.0 innings pitched
c. 45 days on the active, 25-man roster (Opening Day through August 31).

Satisfying any one of these three conditions concludes a player's ROY eligibility, after that season ends.

Scott Rolen finished the 1996 season with exactly 130 at-bats; his hand was broken by a pitch in what would have been his 131st AB, but a HBP does not count as one (it does count as a plate appearance). So he still qualified in 1997, and won the NL ROY unanimously.
There is no minimum for qualifying for rookie of the year. However, if you have gotten more than 130 at bats in your career, you no longer qualify for rookie of the year.

Greg Jefferies had votes in two consecutive rookie of the year ballots meaning in his first year, he didn't get 130 at bats, but still did well enough to get some votes.
i dont think there is a at bat thing
There are several basic requirements that determine a players status as a rookie, of which at-bats is one of them, but there are different standards for pitchers. For position players there is a 130 at-bat threshold where if it is exceeded you are not a rookie the following year.

jetersbatboy
09-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks Suave,

So would Shane Victorinos rookie season be in 2003 with the Padres as he played in 36 games? If he played in 36 game he had to be on the 23 roster for more the 45 days, right???