PDA

View Full Version : Conflict of Interest- Auction Houses and Authenticators

Eric
05-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Hello everyone

I came across a blog written by New York daily news investigative sportswriter Michael O'Keeffe regarding authenticators writing letters on items they consign. This is a serious problem within the hobby and I applaud Dave Grob's stance.

In my opinion there is no room in this hobby for these blatant conflicts of interest.

Read below

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Category: Memorabilia

May 03, 2006

Memorabilia Market Needs Spring Cleaning
One of the biggest problems sports memorabilia collectors face is the often-cozy relationship between authentication services and auction houses. Most game-used items offered by auction houses are now accompanied by certificates from services attesting to their authenticity. But conflicts of interest come up too frequently when those so-called independent experts write certificates to pump up the very items they’ve consigned to auctions.

Dave Grob of Memorabilia Evaluation and Research Services, one of the hobby’s leading authentication services, says it’s time to bring in federal regulators.

“This industry has no standards or regulations,” says Grob, MEARS’ policy director. “There is no professional association of auction houses, dealers or authenticators to set professional or business ethics. I think the hobby is sorely missing that.”

Grob has published a call to arms on the MEARS Web site requesting collectors petition Congress to pass a law that would require authentication services and auction houses to let potential buyers know when they have a financial interest in an auction item.

MEARS started to notify consumers about its financial interest in auction offerings after its authenticator Dave Bushing was widely rapped for writing a certificate that claimed a bat found in former Yankee Tommy Henrich’s home was used by Joe DiMaggio during his famous 56-game hitting streak. Many collectors were outraged to learn that Bushing was also the consigner of the bat, which was purchased for $345,000 by Louisville Slugger manufacturer Hillerich & Bradsby.

Grob says he doesn’t believe the memorabilia business is corrupt and he’s not accusing anybody of illegal activity. But he does say his industry should throw open the windows and let in some fresh air. “It’s in the best interest of everybody if we are as transparent as possible,” Grob says. “If we don’t, we can lose our customer base.”

http://blogs.nydailynews.com/iteam/archives/memorabilia/

silverschmidts
06-01-2006, 04:55 PM
I think this is a great post and a great issue. But it goes way beyond the mere issue of conflict of interest. The overall issue is simply one of quality and credibility. Just look at the number of posts on this Forum from informed collectors every time a major auction house begins a new auction. Am I the only one who is astonished at how many bad items are obviously being offered by these so-called "high end" auction houses? An association along the lines suggested by Mr. Grob might instill some accountability in the industry and speed up the process of rooting out the operations that routinely offer bad goods and spotty customer service. To me, that would be the best thing that could happen to the hobby. --Steve

Eric
06-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Point of clarification and a question

In the Daily News piece above, the Joe Dimaggio bat is mentioned- If my facts are correct, that was before the company was called MEARS- it was still SCDA.
When it became MEARS, Dave Grob instituted language where if an item with a MEARS letter was written by an authenticator with a financial interest in it, it would be so marked on the LOA AND it would be listed on the MEARS website.

When the Dimaggio bat mentioned was at auction, these rules hadn't yet been written.

My question is for Mike Specht who works with Global Authentication.

Mike, is there any language or rules about Global Authenticators writing letters on items they have or ever had financial interest in?

Thanks
Eric

MSpecht
06-05-2006, 03:41 AM
Hi Eric--

In the area of authentication services I provide through the Global Authentications brand name, the proper person to speak to the policies of the company is the President of Global, Stephen Rocchi. As a personal standard, I have never authenticated any of my personal memorabilia myself under the Global brand name, and would not do so in the future.

Relative to authentications of game used baseball bats that I perform outside of Global, I do not authenticate any bats that I personally own beyond the fact that I will provide detailed information based on H & B factory records if applicable, and let the records speak for themselves. The records are what they are. I am in a position to share a large amount of information that is in the possession of a very few number of people, and I have done that openly in the past when I deal directly with a buyer, much as I do in response to questions on the Game Used Universe forums.

Thanks for the question.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

EndzoneSports
06-05-2006, 05:25 AM
Eric:

At the moment, my memory is a bit fuzzy on the specifics, but a few months back another thread covered (in fairly extensive detail) the specifics of a few transactions regarding mid-80s Elway jerseys. One can search for and refer to that thread for the details.

If I remember correctly, one of these jerseys was a piece authenticated by Bernie Gurnay on behalf of Global Authenticators and consigned by Bernie who owned the jersey (in whole or part) to Historic Auctions' inaugural auction in Dec '05. The jersey sold for $4,600 (including 15% buyer's premium) to a Denver-area collector who occasionally frequents this forum.

From this, I would gather that Global had no such 'conflict of interest' policy in place, at least at that time.

Regards,

Eric
06-05-2006, 08:24 AM
I believe this is the thread you're talking about

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1403&highlight=elway

EndzoneSports
06-05-2006, 08:43 AM
That's the one. Thanks Eric!

ChrisCavalier
06-05-2006, 06:59 PM
In the area of authentication services I provide through the Global Authentications brand name, the proper person to speak to the policies of the company is the President of Global, Stephen Rocchi. As a personal standard, I have never authenticated any of my personal memorabilia myself under the Global brand name, and would not do so in the future.
Hello Everyone,

I spoke with Steve Rocchi today and he asked me to post something on his behalf. Steve is traveling today without internet access and said he will post something himself directly tomorrow when he is back in the office.

Regarding any potential 'conflict of interest', Steve said Global does have a policy in that regard which he will clarify tomorrow (Steve is obviously the most qualified person to answer that question).

Regarding the items in the current Historic Auction, Global will NOT be putting their name on any of the certs. While Global was initially asked to provide authentications for that auction, Global decided it was not in their best interest to do so at this time. However, Steve also said that, given any confusion that may have been caused, if any individual who buys an item from the current Historic Auction would like Global to provide additional authentication services on an item purchased from the auction, Steve has offered to provide the service for that item FREE if submitted directly to Global.

Once again, I am posting this information on Steve's behalf and Steve will post further information tomorrow when he is back in the office. Any further questions should probably be asked directly of Steve.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier
CEO - Game Used Universe

Eric
06-06-2006, 11:08 AM
I have received many emails about this topic. I do not have the answer, so I thought I'd lay out the questions I'm getting-

Forum users are questioning-

Did Global sign off on these items in Historic Auctions already and now are deciding not to offer certificates? If so, why?

Or did Historic Auctions incorrectly list in numerous lots that they have been authenticated by Global? How can that be a misunderstanding? Were there authentication certificates or not?

I have gotten many angry emails from people who feel like there's something odd going on here, and before they take out their wallets they'd like to know what the heck is going on.

Eric

Global Authentication
06-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Effective immediately, Global Authentication is revamping its game used division. It is in our best interest to suspend all authentications until these upgrades are completed. We are going offer free authentication for any items purchased in the Historic Auctions. Please look to our website for future information.

We hope this information clears up any questions anyone may have on this forum.

Sincerely,

Stephen Rocchi
President Global Authentications

Eric
06-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Unfortunately that doesn't explain what's going on between Global and Historic Auctions.

As I said before, I have received many emails from people wanting to know exactly what's going on here.

I'll re-post.

Forum users are questioning-

Did Global sign off on these items in Historic Auctions already and now are deciding not to offer certificates? If so, why?

Or did Historic Auctions incorrectly list in numerous lots that they have been authenticated by Global? How can that be a misunderstanding? Were there authentication certificates or not?

I have gotten many angry emails from people who feel like there's something odd going on here, and before they take out their wallets they'd like to know what the heck is going on.

Eric

Eric
06-06-2006, 03:27 PM
And by the way, to the folks at Historic Auctions, I have seen your IP address on the forum a few times today- you can feel free to chime in on this too.

In an earlier post, Chris Cavalier wrote, "Regarding the items in the current Historic Auction, Global will NOT be putting their name on any of the certs. While Global was initially asked to provide authentications for that auction, Global decided it was not in their best interest to do so at this time."

Historic Auctions, your website mentions Global Authentication certified many of your items. Is this not the case?

This is very confusing. Your potential customers want to know.
Eric

HistoricAuctions
06-06-2006, 03:59 PM
I personally spoke with Steve Rocchi today and, as he stated in his post, they are revamping their game used authentication division. Their revamping, and not our auction, is the reason for Chris Cavalier’s post. Eric, please do not sensationalize things to be more then they actually are. Additionally, in case you were concerned, we will be making announcement tomorrow regarding Global Authentication and their role in our auction.

As I've told you and numerous people on the forums, if there are any concerns, please direct them directly to my email address ( james@historicauctions.com ).

Eric, I would also appreciate if you remember Rule 16 of the forums and attempt to contact myself at least 24 hours before posting. This will help keep misunderstandings to a minimum. Please do remember the forum rules when making posts. Additionally, since I have not received a single email of concern, if you would forward any and all "angry emails" to the above address, I'll contact the concerned members personally and directly to clear up any misunderstandings or concerns that might exist.

Eric
06-06-2006, 05:05 PM
James and Steve, it's hardly sensationalizing. There is something going on here that is extremely confusing and frankly neither of you is doing a good job explaining it.

James- thanks for the offer, and as I have done amy times here, I encourage everyone who has been emailing me, to ask your questions to James directly at james@historicauctions.com

I and the rest of the forum look forward to hear your explanations of the following issues...

Eric

hblakewolf
06-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Eric-
I'm still waiting for a response to my post on the 1998 McGwire road jersey in their auction. It too has a Global letter, but this is the least of my concern. I have sold quite a few Cardinals 1998 jerseys and currently own a home and road McGwire from 1998. EVERY 1998 jersey I have sold and own has the EXACT same tagging for the year. the entire year (1998) is present. The Historic jersey has the first 1 in 1998 sewn over. I have seen this before with year tags, however, only on jerseys that have been "doctored" and the tag removed from one shirt, and re-sewn into another. Likewise, the size 52 tag is odd looking. Usually, the tag is smaller in size. I have asked for answers to my concerns (i.e., is the sewing around the year tag possibly re-sewn), however, have not heard a word back.

My previous post included photos of my 1998 tagging for reference.

As I always say, do your own homework and forget about the worthless LOA's. The only problem here, however, is that my homework is done and the teacher appears to be on vacation!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

CollectGU
06-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Let me add an interesting twist to this. A public look up of Historic Auctions through the State of Florida's division of Corporations turns up this:http://ccfcorp.dos.state.fl.us/corpweb/inquiry/cormenu.html.

Florida Limited Liability

HISTORIC AUCTIONS, LLC

PRINCIPAL ADDRESS6677 AUGUSTA BLVD.SEMINOLE FL 33777 Changed 04/30/2006

MAILING ADDRESSP.O. BOX 76311ST. PETERSBURG FL 33734 Changed 04/30/2006

Document Number
L05000104087FEI Number
203793883Date Filed
10/21/2005State
FLStatus
ACTIVEEffective Date
10/21/2005Total Contribution

Registered AgentName & AddressWELLS, BRADLEY
115 CORDOVA BLVD. NE
ST. PETERSBURG FL 33704
Manager/Member DetailName & AddressTitleWELLS, BRADLEY
115 CORDOVA BLVD. NE

ST. PETERSBURG FL 33704 MGRMBROWN, JAMES H
6677 AUGUSTA BLVD.

SEMINOLE FL 33777 MGRM
Annual ReportsReport YearFiled Date200604/30/2006

No EventsNo Name History Information

Document ImagesListed below are the images available for this filing.

04/30/2006 -- ANNUAL REPORT (http://www.sunbiz.org/COR/2006/0430/70242167.tif)10/21/2005 -- Florida Limited Liability (http://www.sunbiz.org/COR/2005/1024/40858944.tif)

So, we see that Brad Wells of ASI is an owner of the company, AND is also listed on many of the items being offered as the lead authenticator under Global's authentication company...You all can make your own judgements on the importance of this info when purchasing

sammy
06-07-2006, 10:44 AM
CollecGU:

Very nice work.

Can we SHOUT!!!

"CONFLICT OF INTEREST & DECEITFUL"

Talk about the fox guarding the chicken house.

Something sure smells foul between Global Authentication and Historic Auctions.

allstarsplus
06-07-2006, 11:14 AM
As I always say, do your own homework and forget about the worthless LOA's. The only problem here, however, is that my homework is done and the teacher appears to be on vacation!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard is right---do your homework. Like all game used items in any auction, there are certainly some question marks as we point out on the Forum. I think this is their 2nd auction and I think we established the last time that Brad Wells had a relationship with the company.

This time they appear to have brought in a bat expert in John Taube. The jerseys you have to do your homework on for sure, and yes there is a potential conflict which is the same as many auction houses and dealers that authenticate items in their control.

I won several lots in their last auction which included some HR Derby items and Carlos Lee HR bats. Great items and I was happy with my final bid price too.

I sold some items that are in the auction, and I can tell you for sure those items all had 3rd party authentication outside of any other authentication added to it such as the Cal Ripken 2001 Game Used signed base which has MLB Authentication and several pictures of Cal signing.

With that said, I bid on items in almost all the big auctions and especially like the way Mastronet and Robert Edwards Auctions does their auctions. I also bid on Lelands and GF where I have to do more of my own homework.

I have done my homework on the items I will bid on here so outside of that my only issue is that I wish they had more detail on these items in the descriptions. I did by the way let James know that and he has been great about emailing me back and we also spoke by phone yesterday.

ironmanfan
06-07-2006, 11:31 AM
The problem lies in that there are many people (people in this forum included) who choose NOT to do any homework, but choose to simply email other members (or post) and simply ask "is it real?" etc...It's my opinion that these are the people who are "stuck" with these items and try to entangle themselves from them down the road......DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Oil Can Dan
06-07-2006, 11:48 AM
The problem lies in that there are many people (people in this forum included) who choose NOT to do any homework, but choose to simply email other members (or post) and simply ask "is it real?" etc...It's my opinion that these are the people who are "stuck" with these items and try to entangle themselves from them down the road......DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

I'm new to the hobby. Can you help me understand how exactly I should "do my homework"? I'm considering bidding on a '92 Pedro Martinez jersey. I searched everywhere I could think of in hopes of finding pictures, other examples, etc of a 1992 Pedro jersey to no avail. I cannot find a picture of the back of Pedro in either of the two games he appeared in. I have never seen a Dodger jersey with my own eyes, so I have nothing to go on. I've posted a question about it in this forum but have not received a response.

I do not mean to sound ignorant, but what else can I possibly do in terms of "homework"? I am completely willing to invest the time, but short of searching the web or asking others who have been doing this for a lot longer than me, I do not know what else to do. It seems I should not rely on just about any COA, so then what?

The more I read, the more I suspect I should just quit while I'm ahead.

I apologize if this post is a hijack of the thread.

sammy
06-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Oil Can Dan:

Don't give up.

Part of doing "homework" is to use various resources.

This forum is one of your resources.

Those of us that can provide an answer usually will.

There are a lot of knowledgeable "teachers" who post and watch this forum.

Ask your questions. :)

trsent
06-07-2006, 12:43 PM
I am confused, and I know my views on this topic are often not appreciated, but it is the other side of the story.

What is the Conflict of Interest that is such a big issue on these forums?

I understand, an auction house may write a letter of authenticity for an item then sell it in their own auction house. If the customer is aware of this practice in advance, what is the conflict?

When an artist paints a print, then sells a serigraph with his letter of authenticity, what is the issue? Is there really a difference? Grey Flannel has been a major auction house for years, and they write letters for the merchandise they offer. The buyer is aware of this in advance, so this should be a non-issue. If as a buyer you take issue that you can buy a game used item at Grey Flannel Auctions that has a letter of authenticity from Grey Flannel then you shouldn't bid and there is no issues.

Someone wrote earlier today (or last night) about at item they bought from Mastro that had a Mastro letter. When they found an issue with the item a few years later, they were satisfied with the service they received in returning the item.

I know MEARS has a policy that entails publicly posting items that their staff has on consignment with major auction houses. This is a great policy, not necessary but it shows great faith in the industry on their part. (Read my next post for a recent post by Dave Grob on the MEARS Online forum that was pretty interesting)

When I used to do public and private autograph sessions with professional athletes, I would write certificates of authenticity for autographed items that I obtained in person and then would sell myself. I stood behind the merchandise, just as I do now with game used sports items that I obtained myself and now sell and write my own letter of authenticity for.

I am not discussing the Historic/Global issue here because it is all too new to know what many may consider conflicts at this point. I believe for some time many of us assumed there was a connection with there companies, but it was never made public until this morning's post.

Authenticating an item and selling it are practices that are common in this industry and must be accepted as long as the selling outfit makes it clear to the industry their interests in both ends. This is fair and it puts everything in prospective so then the potential buyer can do their own homework before spending their money.

Eric
06-07-2006, 12:53 PM
When an auction house offers 3rd party authentication- it is just that- authentication from a party that does not have a financial interest in the item.

If this conflict exists, like seeing Brad Wells listed as authenticator for an item with an ASI sticker it should be disclosed that Mr. Wells is acting as authenticator on an item that came from a company Wells also runs.

Seems pretty obvious to me.
Eric

mr.miracle
06-07-2006, 01:13 PM
For those of us new to Historic Auctions specifically, it seems to me that while doing ones own homework is paramount to making sure that the items you are bidding on are genuine and real; most of us would not find it necessary to also search public records to uncover affiliations and ownership issues that should be made perfectly clear by the company. While I always make it a habit to ask questions about an auction or company that I have not dealt with or am not familiar with, I highly doubt that many people would generally feel the need to search the Florida Corp. business logs in search of company affiliations prior to bidding in an auction so this is great investigative work. If this information regarding Mr. Wells affiliation with Historic Auctions as well as his role as authenticator to this auction representing Global Authentics was or is a matter of easily accessible public record or more importantly is displayed prominently on Historic Auctions web site then there is no problem. I was not aware of this affiliation and am not aware of its existence on the auctions website. This coupled with the rather questionable explanations that have been floated as to the relationship here between Global's role in this auction and who if anyone is authenticating Historic's items leaves me to see nothing but a clear conflict of interest or at the very least, a very diligent attempt to cover up the relationship of Brad Wells to this auction and as the authenticator. It would be nice if we were to receive some type of explanation from both parties.

Brett

allstarsplus
06-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Eric - You are right, it is obvious and disclosure is needed, but come on here----haven't we discussed the ASI-Brad Wells-COA issue already when they did their last auction. On this auction, each item Brad authenticated, it clearly states his name as the authenticator so I don't think he is hiding anything.

Like Joel said, Grey Flannel and other auction houses are doing it as well and so are most Dealers. My opinion is take the COA, but do your homework. The Forum has uncovered 3 questionable jerseys and Historic removed them. That is great, but don't put a shadow over every item as they have some amazing Babe Ruth items, Alex Rodriguez, etc.

It may be overkill, but on some items like signed game used bats there are 3 authenticators which includes Brad.

James Spence Authentication
Global Authentication/Brad Wells
PSA/DNA - John Taube Let's hope they state their conflict policy and hopefully post their authentication COAs and let's get on to the next subject.

Global Authentication
06-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Regarding the questions directed to Global Authentication: Global Authentication has a very strong anti self interest policy. What this means is that any Global Authentication expert cannot authenticate any item that they have a financial interest in. This applies whether they own the item or if they have at one time sold the item. Because of our policy Global will only be authenticating Historic auction items submitted to Global Authentication independent of the auction itself. This policy insures that any item authenticated by Global does not violate our anti self interest policy.

Steve

Eric
06-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Regarding the questions directed to Global Authentication: Global Authentication has a very strong anti self interest policy. What this means is that any Global Authentication expert cannot authenticate any item that they have a financial interest in. This applies whether they own the item or if they have at one time sold the item. Because of our policy Global will only be authenticating Historic auction items submitted to Global Authentication independent of the auction itself. This policy insures that any item authenticated by Global does not violate our anti self interest policy.

Steve

In response to your post, why was Mr. Wells allowed to authenticate ASI items under the Global name in the first place?
Were you not aware what he was authenticating?
Eric

allstarsplus
06-07-2006, 01:40 PM

Steve Steve - With your anti-self interest policy, will those Global COAs be rescinded from the Historic auction?

HistoricAuctions
06-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Just like every huge conspiracy theory that people try to conjure up, there is a usually a simple answer that will solve the alleged mystery. Brad Wells, at one time, owned a stake in Historic Auctions. However, earlier this year, he sold of his entire interest in the company and does not currently own any stake in the company. As I’m sure most of us know, the government moves at the speed of a snail and has not updated their website. All the proper paperwork was filed and we are awaiting them to update the site.

I really am disappointed with this message board. This information was posted this morning and thirteen more posts were made and not a single person bothered to call or email me regarding this situation. Again, this just shows that everybody on this board is more concerned with creating and spreading rumors rather then actually discovering the facts. We harp on people for not researching items before they buy or purchase them, but we don’t bother to do the same ourselves regarding other issues.

You ALL know my email address and our phone number is on our website ( 888-955-2211 ). If any of you actually cared about discovering the truth rather than just trying to keep your industry title as the “self-appointed memorabilia police”, you would have contacted me directly.

This really is a non-issue from here-on-out. If anybody wishes to discuss actual memorabilia with me or real issues, feel free to contact me.

HistoricAuctions
06-07-2006, 01:49 PM
In response to your post, why was Mr. Wells allowed to authenticate ASI items under the Global name in the first place?
Were you not aware what he was authenticating?
Eric

To be clear... Brad Wells authenticated items with an ASI sticker. Not items that ASI consigned. There is a huge difference.

Eric
06-07-2006, 01:58 PM
To be clear... Brad Wells authenticated items with an ASI sticker. Not items that ASI consigned. There is a huge difference.

But I don't see anywhere on your site where your authenticator Mr. Wells' relationship to ASI is disclosed to the public. Can you show me where it is?
Eric

Eric
06-07-2006, 03:14 PM
James-

I am sorry you are disappointed in the forum. As long are we are talking about our disappointments, I am disappointed neither you nor Global have answered some serious questions which I now post here for the 3rd time, and yes, I emailed to you.

Thanks in advance for your answers. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to hearing them as well.
Eric

Eric

ChrisCavalier
06-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Just like every huge conspiracy theory that people try to conjure up, there is a usually a simple answer that will solve the alleged mystery. Brad Wells, at one time, owned a stake in Historic Auctions. However, earlier this year, he sold of his entire interest in the company and does not currently own any stake in the company.
Hello Mr. Brown,

Thank you for your above response and your candor regarding Brad Wells' ownership stake in Historic Auctions. I do have a follow-up question for Mr. Wells based on your response. However, please feel free to answer it if you feel so inclined.

When Historic launched it's inaugural auction in November of 2005, there were a number of members on our site who asked about the relationship between ASI and Historic. On November 29th of 2005 I received an email from Brad Wells (I still have the email) which included information Mr. Wells asked us to post on the site on his behalf. Here is the relevant information Mr. Wells sent us which we subsequently posted on the site:

ASI AND HISTORIC AUCTIONS

ASI AS YOU KNOW STANDS FOR AUTHENTIC SPORTS INC. ASI HAS A CLIENTAL BASE IN BASEBALL AND FOOTBALL AMOUNTING TO OVER 50 CLIENTS. ASI SPECIALIZES IN GAME USED AND SIGNED MEMORABILIA DIRECTLY FROM ITS ATHLETES. ALONG WITH THIS ASI HAS RECENTLY ADDED TWO OTHER UNIQUE SERVICES. THE TWO OF THEM BEING AUTHENTIC SPORTS MARKETING AND ASI AUTHENTICATION. THE MARKETING ASPECT LETS US DO MORE FOR OUR PLAYERS INCLUDING ENDORSEMENT AND ADVERTISING DEALS. OUR AUTHENTICATION PROGRAM ALLOWS US TO TAKE IN ITEMS FROM OUR COLLECTING CLIENTS AND MAKE SURE THERE COLLECTION IS COMPLETELY AUTHENTIC EVEN IF A PARTICULAR ITEM DID NOT ORIGINALLY COME DIRECTLY FROM US.

AS FOR HISTORIC AUCTIONS, A COMPLETELY SEPARATE ENTITY. HISTORIC AUCTIONS IS RUN BY JAMES BROWN AND IS OWNED BY SEVERAL ATHLETES AND INVESTORS. ASI DID PARTICIPATE WITH THE AUTHENTICATION OF THE GAME USED BASEBALL (WHICH IS NOTABLY THEIR EXPERTISE), AS WELL AS CONSIGNED A FEW ITEMS. THAT IS THE ONLY AFFILIATION WHATSOEVER.

Here is a link to the thread where we posted the information on behalf of Mr. Wells (the information is contained in post #14 of the thread):

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=332&page=2&highlight=historic

Basically, I'm trying to reconcile Mr. Wells' comment in November 2005 with what you have stated above regarding his ownership involvement with Historic (which you claim he sold in the beginning of 2006). I hope you don't mind me asking on the forum but since Mr. Wells asked us to post the original information above on the forum for our members I think it would be appropriate if we all received an explanation.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier

Global Authentication
06-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Apparantely their is some confusion about Global Authentication and its game used authentication program. Global Authentication had a verbal agreement to authenticate for Historic Auctions. However, because of our anti-self interest policy we have suspended the authentication and have not issued certificates for this auction. We have however agreed to independently examine the items at no charge when submitted to our coporate offices.

Steve

mr.miracle
06-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Is anyone besides me wondering if somebody from either Global or Historic Auctions will just offer a 100% straightforward answer to the few remanining questions that have been repeatedly asked over, and over again? Can we just get a simple straightforward answer that addresses the exact questions asked from somebody?

sportscentury
06-07-2006, 09:36 PM

Hello,

I ask the following solely for clarification. I agree that this is a huge difference. Does this mean that an ASI sticker on an item means that it was obtained by and came from ASI *or* that ASI approved/authenticated it? This is important for me to know as I am sometimes offered ASI items and I had always thought that an item with an ASI sticker meant that it was obtained by ASI, a company which has stated, historically, that they obtain their items from players and major league employees.

Thanks for clarifying.

Reid

sportscentury
06-07-2006, 09:47 PM
What is the Conflict of Interest that is such a big issue on these forums?

Joel,

Eric's response to you is on point. I'd like to offer a more basic answer, though (that is, an alternative explanation). The problem involves the inherent potential for bias. If a person is authenticating an item that he also has a financial stake in, there is, by the nature of this situation, potential for bias in the authentication process. Bias in judgment may even occur nonconsciously--that is, the judge fully tries to remove from his mind the knowledge that he has a financial stake in the outcome of the authentication and fully believes that he has been successful in doing so. Still, the fact that the person has a financial stake in the item makes it impossible to know that the person has objectively authenticated the item in a completely unbiased way (again, even if he genuinely tried to do so and fully believes that he has done so). It is, as you point out, better if this dual relation (authenticator and stakeholder) is shared publicly, but that does not eliminate the inherent potential for bias in the authentication process.

I really enjoy your posts and you challenge forum members to more fully think through these issues. I hope that I have helped you to understand the conflict of interest and why collectors are concerned by it. If this post has not accomplished that goal, I fear that I won't be able to help you.

Reid

trsent
06-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Joel,

Eric's response to you is on point. I'd like to offer a more basic answer, though (that is, an alternative explanation). The problem involves the inherent potential for bias. If a person is authenticating an item that he also has a financial stake in, there is, by the nature of this situation, potential for bias in the authentication process. Bias in judgment may even occur nonconsciously--that is, the judge fully tries to remove from his mind the knowledge that he has a financial stake in the outcome of the authentication and fully believes that he has been successful in doing so. Still, the fact that the person has a financial stake in the item makes it impossible to know that the person has objectively authenticated the item in a completely unbiased way (again, even if he genuinely tried to do so and fully believes that he has done so). It is, as you point out, better if this dual relation (authenticator and stakeholder) is shared publicly, but that does not eliminate the inherent potential for bias in the authentication process.

I really enjoy your posts and you challenge forum members to more fully think through these issues. I hope that I have helped you to understand the conflict of interest and why collectors are concerned by it. If this post has not accomplished that goal, I fear that I won't be able to help you.

Reid

I put fear into Reid? Cool!

I understand your points,and I believe for the most part major auction houses do identify their items, but they will most likely not ever publish which items they outright own and certify and which are consignments.

Mastro and Grey Flannel may be examples of this, but I believe in both of these companies and I will sleep well at night knowing they will be fair on both ends.

As for other companies that I do not know as well, the bidders should use their own discretion as they should with any auction house.

Eric
06-08-2006, 12:21 PM
What is appropriate is something like MEARS does. On the MEARS wesbsite, they offer the following text. Get it out in the open and let the educated consumer decide.

Items at Auction
The following is a listing of Collectibles, which are owned by employees of MEARS and are currently being offered in the indicated auction (no listing indicates the absence of applicable items in the current auction cycle). MEARS encourages any collector wishing to receive an alternate opinion on the authenticity of any of these items to seek third party evaluation before bidding.

sportscentury
06-08-2006, 05:11 PM
If it is stated up front, I don't think it's a big problem for most folks (certainly not for me). I was just trying to chip away at a small portion of Joel's confusion. It's a tough job, but I guess someone's got to do it. :)

Reid

Eric
06-11-2006, 10:31 PM
I have been asked to post this on behalf of Steve Rocchi of Global...

Global initially agreed to allow Brad Wells to represent Global in authenticating baseball jerseys. However, after learning that a number of items in Historic's current auction were formerly owned by Brad through ASI, Global, as per their anti-self interest policy, decided against participating in Historic's auction authentication program. While some entities may allow authenticators to authenticate items they own, or have previously owned, it is simply against Global's policies. It is for that reason, and the potential confusion that was caused, that Global has offered to authenticate any item from the auction that is submitted to its corporate offices free of charge. While not a statement regarding any of the items in the auction, it should be noted that currently, unless submitted independently to Global, there will not be a certification from Global on any of the items in the current auction.

CollectGU
06-12-2006, 07:39 PM
So basically everything that has a Global authentication LOA in the catalogue will not come with Global paperwork. BUT, I can send whatever I buy into Global for a free authentication? That is fine as long as Jim offers a guarantee against Global's free authentication....The whole thing is definitely shady though....

Eric
06-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Effective immediately, Global Authentication is revamping its game used division. It is in our best interest to suspend all authentications until these upgrades are completed. We are going offer free authentication for any items purchased in the Historic Auctions. Please look to our website for future information.

We hope this information clears up any questions anyone may have on this forum.

Sincerely,

Stephen Rocchi
President Global Authentications

FYI, please see Christopher Cavalier's post below- he free authentication now only applies to bats

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Everyone,

I spoke with Steve Rocchi and am posting the following information on his behalf. Notably, I will post what Steve relayed to me and then add a few of my own personal suggestions for members considering bidding in the auction. Let me start with what Steve told me so it is clearly delineated from my personal suggestions:

1) At the present time, Global Authentication will not be providing authentication services for game used jerseys. This will be announced on the Global website in the next few days.

2) Global will continue offering authentication services for game used bats. The game used bat authentications will be done by Mike Specht.

3) Regarding what will happen if a bat purchased in Historic Auctions does not pass the independent Global authentication process, that decision rests entirely with Historic Auction since Global has no business relationship with them.

Now for my suggestions (please note my suggestions are completely independent of what Steve communicated to me):

1) If you are interested in bidding on an item in Historic Auctions, make your evaluations based on the items themselves and the independent authentications provided by the individual authenticator (be it Brad Wells or whomever). That is, do not associate Global name with any of the authentications done for the auction.

2) If you do buy a game used bat in the auction, you will be able to have that bat independently evaluated by Global Authentications free of charge. However, if you feel Global's independent authentication is necessary for you to feel comfortable with the item, confirm any return policy with Historic Auctions before you make your purchase.

3) If you buy a game used jersey in the auction, you will only get a letter from Historic Auctions and the independent authenticator (Brad Wells or whomever). You should not expect anything else beyond that so take that into account when considering bidding on an item.

Please let me know if that makes it clear to everyone. One of the primary goals of the forum is to help members make informed decisions. I hope this post enables members to do just that.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier
CEO - Game Used Universe