PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy trying to impress himself, or someone else?

sammy
05-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Is this guy trying to impress himself, or someone else?

How were those 27 forgeries divided among the other 5 authenticators?

Did each authenticator get 5 or 6, or did each authenticator get all 27, or what?

Were the 5 forgeries correctly identified by each of these other 5 authenticators, or did each authenticator identify a certain number of the 5 correctly?

If you could quit clapping for yourself, perhaps you would answer these questions.

Directly from his webpage:

The work I do was just prominently featured on the HBO TV show "Real Sports" on Jan. 17,2006. They conducted an undercover test on autograph authenticators, including forensic examiners and others, and I was one of the two who was widely praised on the show. Seven authenticators work was examined on the show during an undercover operation. I was one of only two authenticators who was praised for the work that was done. Five of these authenticators examined 27 forgeries and only identified five of them correctly. I was lauded on the show at two different times in the twenty minute segment for my examinations. I examined seven different items and correctly identified six of them. I am one of the leading authorities on sports collectibles in the nation.

skipcareyisfat
05-30-2006, 07:44 AM
Who's the guy?

suave1477
05-30-2006, 11:06 AM
sammy it might help if you tell us who your talking about?

sammy
05-30-2006, 11:26 AM
I really didn't think the name would be necessary,
but for those of you who don't know:

Richard Simon.

Eric
05-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Sammy-

You might have a problem with that quote from his website, but the truth is Richard Simon exposes a lot of fraud in the autograph hobby.

He's not afraid to call someone out, and I respect him for that.

I should note that as I was watching the HBO segment, I was thinking that Richard was going to be one of the people who accurately analyzed the autographs shown to him. He knows his stuff. And the HBO piece backed that up.

Eric

suave1477
05-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Sammy I agree with Eric on this one in a Hobby like this where authenticity is so important to us collectors and is taken to heart. When your able to identify the items the most accurate over other Leading authenticators I would TOOT MY OWN HORN TOO!!!

JimCaravello
05-30-2006, 01:44 PM
I have used Richard several times in the past to authenticate items. He is one of the best in the hobby - hands down. He authenticated a Munson ball for me a couple years back after PSA turned it down. Ball was signed in person - both Simon and PSA were unaware of that, but PSA fumbled the assignment. Richard is as honest and solid as they come in my experiences in working with him. Let him toot all he wants - his website has had that info for years. Jim

sylbry
05-30-2006, 04:41 PM
If he plays even a small part in keeping the hobby honest I think he should be able to pat himself on the back all he wants. That is one area where it is real easy for the dishonest to make a quick buck.

flaco1801
05-30-2006, 04:50 PM
i would trust richard simon above all else bar none.