PDA

View Full Version : O/T: When Being A 1st Round Draft Pick Isn't All It Was Cracked Up To Be

TriplexXxSports
09-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Saw this in Yahoo and thought it was worthy of a good chuckle...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Chargers-are-hungry-and-Larry-English-is-buy?urn=nfl,188313

Bobby Jenks
09-09-2009, 06:24 PM
This is like the custom of a Major Leaguer who is on a Minor League rehab to buy the post game spread.

frikativ54
09-09-2009, 06:53 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Chargers-are-hungry-and-Larry-English-is-buy?urn=nfl,188313

Being a first-round draft pick isn't all it's cracked up to be?!?! Seriously? Last time I looked fourteen grand could pay for blood transfusions, surgeries for a sick kid, etc. I wish football teams were that good at raising money for charity as they are eating $14,000 worth of food. What losers.

gatorcollector
09-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Being a first-round draft pick isn't all it's cracked up to be?!?! Seriously? Last time I looked fourteen grand could pay for blood transfusions, surgeries for a sick kid, etc. I wish football teams were that good at raising money for charity as they are eating $14,000 worth of food. What losers.

Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea how many millions of dollars the NFL has raised for the United Way and other charities? Sell all your game used stuff and give the money to charity, then you can start acting holier-than-thou.

NYCrulesU
09-09-2009, 07:05 PM

I'm with you on that thinking. Pathetic.

frikativ54
09-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea how many millions of dollars the NFL has raised for the United Way and other charities? Sell all your game used stuff and give the money to charity, then you can start acting holier-than-thou.

The charity the NFL has done is merely to improve the PR of a league that is all too filled with thugs. How much money does the NFL make a year? You will see that the charity is merely lip service.

It's what players do with their own salaries that is indicative of what kind of people they are. $14,000 for a team dinner? I would think you are joking if I didn't see the sad proof on the link to this thread.

allstarsplus
09-09-2009, 07:30 PM

I had no idea what this thread was about by your Title. Very enjoyable read.

So I just did some math. I didn't know you could spend $209 per person at TGIF (prior to tax and service charge LOL)

34swtns
09-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Being a first-round draft pick isn't all it's cracked up to be?!?! Seriously? Last time I looked fourteen grand could pay for blood transfusions, surgeries for a sick kid, etc. I wish football teams were that good at raising money for charity as they are eating $14,000 worth of food.

Valid point, IMO.

JasonBanz
09-09-2009, 10:28 PM

Big deal if a rookie spent $14,000 on a meal for the team. I like the idea. I think it brings teams together. Prefessional athletes like to waste money cause they have it. And why point a finger at the NFL. There are plenty of NFL players who use money for charity and foundations. I bet most MLB players waste their money. If they publicized the amount of money Albert Pujols or Manny Ramirez spent on something, I bet we all would flip!

Vintagedeputy
09-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Last time I looked fourteen grand could pay for blood transfusions, surgeries for a sick kid, etc.

think of alll the starving squirrels in the world..........

kingjammy24
09-10-2009, 12:00 AM
english has a $13.4mm contract. he spent 0.1% of it on a meal for his friends. leslie, you've spent at least $4000 on game used frivolities. $4000 is 0.1% of $4mm. if you're not making $4mm/yr, then you spent more as a portion of your income than english spent of his on that meal. last time i looked $4k would've bought a lot of meals for a lot of starving kids. rather than help those kids out, looks like you decided to treat yourself to some baubles instead. for shame.

Scrooge: And what can I do for you two gentlemen?
Collector for the Poor #1: Sir, we are collecting funds for the indigent and destitute.
Scrooge: For the what?
Collector for the Poor #2: We're collecting for the poor.
Scrooge: Oh. Aha. Well, you realize if you give money to the poor, they won't be poor anymore, will they?
Collector for the Poor #2: Well, I...
Scrooge: And if they're not poor anymore then you won't have to raise money for them anymore.
Collector for the Poor #1: Well, I suppose...
Scrooge: And if you don't have to raise money for them anymore, then you'd be out of a job. Oh please, Gentlemen, don't ask me to put you out of a job. Not on Christmas eve.

rudy.

chakes89
09-10-2009, 09:18 AM
english has a $13.4mm contract. he spent 0.1% of it on a meal for his friends. leslie, you've spent at least $4000 on game used frivolities. $4000 is 0.1% of $4mm. if you're not making $4mm/yr, then you spent more as a portion of your income than english spent of his on that meal. last time i looked $4k would've bought a lot of meals for a lot of starving kids. rather than help those kids out, looks like you decided to treat yourself to some baubles instead. for shame.

Scrooge: And what can I do for you two gentlemen?
Collector for the Poor #1: Sir, we are collecting funds for the indigent and destitute.
Scrooge: For the what?
Collector for the Poor #2: We're collecting for the poor.
Scrooge: Oh. Aha. Well, you realize if you give money to the poor, they won't be poor anymore, will they?
Collector for the Poor #2: Well, I...
Scrooge: And if they're not poor anymore then you won't have to raise money for them anymore.
Collector for the Poor #1: Well, I suppose...
Scrooge: And if you don't have to raise money for them anymore, then you'd be out of a job. Oh please, Gentlemen, don't ask me to put you out of a job. Not on Christmas eve.

rudy.

BOOM!

TriplexXxSports
09-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Hell, if I had the cash, I would do it too. Maybe even take out some of you forum members, lol.

I don't see the problem with it. We had a 'Hitter Of The Week' that was nominated by the local newspaper and whoever got that was in charge of the spread for the weekly Thursday night bonfires for the team.

Not much different from that, and we were in high school. We never had the cash to spend. Tradition is an exception IMO.

earlywynnfan
09-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Also, dropping 14 grand at a restaurant keeps that restaurant open for a while more, which means waiters, hostesses, and busboys will be able to pay this month's rent and buy groceries, which keeps the grocer open, which keeps the stockboys able to pay their bills, etc. etc. It's not like the money drops down a hole and disappears.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

David
09-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Agree it comes across as rather pathetic, but also agree that there are a lot worse causes than giving money to a local business. Some of the spending spree will go to busboys and waiters.

TriplexXxSports
09-10-2009, 03:31 PM
How would you have liked to have been the waiter for that? Poor kid(s) were probably running their under paid butts off for 3 hours straight.

frikativ54
09-10-2009, 08:37 PM
think of alll the starving squirrels in the world..........

Now you're talking. Feed the squirrels. There was an acorn shortage last winter.

chakes89
09-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't mention the word "Acorn" right about now

:D