PDA

View Full Version : Bob Gibson's MLB & Hall of Fame lifetime passes

emann
09-09-2009, 09:57 PM
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=98471

Missed this auction a couple weeks back. I know Gibson has been selling off a bunch of his personal memorabilia (his Cy Young & Gold Glove awards, checks, jerseys, etc), but these seem sort of sad to be selling off.

The gold lifetime pass of a Hall of Famer is a pretty cool item to see, let alone buy, but I'd think this is one of those things he'd hang onto... It brought a decent amount (call it close to 1K apiece), but nowhere near what the Cy Young Award garnered, why bother selling it at all?

Has it been something discussed before? Is Gibson in serious financial shape? If so, that's a shame to see...

slambam
09-09-2009, 11:54 PM
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=98471

Missed this auction a couple weeks back. I know Gibson has been selling off a bunch of his personal memorabilia (his Cy Young & Gold Glove awards, checks, jerseys, etc), but these seem sort of sad to be selling off.

The gold lifetime pass of a Hall of Famer is a pretty cool item to see, let alone buy, but I'd think this is one of those things he'd hang onto... It brought a decent amount (call it close to 1K apiece), but nowhere near what the Cy Young Award garnered, why bother selling it at all?

Has it been something discussed before? Is Gibson in serious financial shape? If so, that's a shame to see...

The real sad thing is that if he is in financial trouble (which it appears), he (and other greats who played decades ago) sees guys out there making $20 mil/yr (even some bums get a lucky contract for $5+ mil/yr). Imagine how much money Gibson would be making if he were playing now a days.

David
09-10-2009, 12:16 AM
The Gibson lots in the Legendary Auctions were consigned by Gibson to raise money for charity. I think Baseball Assistance Team (B.A.T.) was the charity.

Birdbats
09-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Gibson is not having financial issues. He's doing just fine.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/latest-sports-collecting-news/bob-gibson-collection-to-be-sold-at-auction.html

RobSteinmetz
09-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Can anyone find anything in print that states the proceeds from the sale of Gibson's items went to Baseball Assistance Team? In the catalog it stated that 100% of the $100 auction admission went to charity, and there was also going to be a selection of "charity auction items" available at the event. For example, when this event was held in Chicago, I believe the admission benefited Derrek Lee's charity, and there were also a number of Lee items available outside of the regular auction in a special charity auction. I don't see any quotes from Gibson, his agent, or Legendary that states Bob Gibson was donating the proceeds from the sale to charity. I can see how that assumption might have been made, but I don't think this is the case.

Rob

Birdbats
09-10-2009, 10:14 AM
I got the impression from conversations I had with folks during All-Star week that the proceeds from Gibson's stuff were going to Gibson... not because he needed the cash, but because he simply wanted to get rid of everything.

David
09-10-2009, 01:43 PM
I could be wrong, then. I will re-read my Legendary catalogs.

schubert1970
09-10-2009, 02:32 PM
If I recall I think Pete Rose had a Hall of Fame pass that sold for 60k - 80k
On the back he inscribed "I don't think I'll ever use this." or something like that.

emann
09-10-2009, 02:38 PM
I got the impression from conversations I had with folks during All-Star week that the proceeds from Gibson's stuff were going to Gibson... not because he needed the cash, but because he simply wanted to get rid of everything.

Jeff, thanks for posting the article, but out of curiosity—did someone connected to Gibson actually tell you he's 'just fine' or was that conjecture on your part?

If not, one can certainly understand that he might not want everyone to know if it was an issue of financial trouble and had to auction off basically every crowning achievement from his legendary career (same w/ the auction house, lest they look like vultures)... I had just wondered what the official word was on it and again, it struck me a sad either way, due to needing the money or even just that he would part with these items... Doesn't he have anyone in his family that would appreciate his 'favorite practice glove' (for example which, to me, went for a steal at $1,200) more than the relatively small amount of cash it brought in.

Who knows, just seems odd all around. :o

jonincleve
09-10-2009, 03:20 PM
pete rose signed over his hall of fame pass to barry halper back in the 80's before all his troubles.

take care
john

Birdbats
09-10-2009, 06:20 PM
The people I talked with are very familiar with Gibson's situation and his reasons for selling his items. Unless they've all been deceived, this isn't one of those sad situations where the player is broke and needs to sell his memorabilia to make ends meet. As far as family is concerned, it's much easier to divide up cash than it is to decide who gets which trophy.

tacprc
09-11-2009, 02:14 AM
Rose's pass says something like, "I shouldn't need this to get into the Hall of Fame." I saw it 5-6 weeks ago at a private club in Cincinnati where it is on permanent display.

ironmanfan
09-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Rose's pass says something like, "I shouldn't need this to get into the Hall of Fame." I saw it 5-6 weeks ago at a private club in Cincinnati where it is on permanent display.

That originally was from the famed Barry Halper collection

schubert1970
09-11-2009, 10:46 AM
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2007/1114.html

I was way off the mark it sold for 18k.