PDA

View Full Version : has anyone purchased a GettyImage for personal use?

mbenga28
09-14-2009, 12:06 PM
I came across a beautiful photo-match for one of my bats, and the image is available only on Getty and am deciding to purchase it (just this once, as the price is more than my monthly rent).

For those who've done this before, could you provide some information on the following:

a) after downloading the image, how many copies are you permitted to print out?

b) what is the maximum size the image could be printed out?

c) where would be the best photo center to send this to?

I've asked their customer service and have gotten vague information, so I am seeing if any of you have done this before and could share your experience.

thank you

David
09-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Don't know if this is helpful, but I had an account at Corbis for work. I don't believe there is a charge to join, but you have to be a part of an organization (I think, and it can be small, probably even your website counts). You have free viewing to all the images without any watermarks. If you purchase one, you will get a veeery large and high quality image, which I assume you can print out 100 times if you want. I would imagine you can save the image on your computer too.

David
09-14-2009, 02:13 PM
I forgot to add that as the images are very high quality and size, you could probably have it printed to about any size within reason-- 20x14 no problem. In publishing, the images they work with are about 10x better, larger and higher quality than any images posted on this or other sports boards.

mbenga28
09-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Hi David thank you for your suggestions and advice. I also checked Corbis and unfortunately the image is not on their site, and Getty is the only place it is available.

As for the sizing, I just noticed beneath the image it said this:

17.2 MB / 10 x 6.67 in. (3000 x 2000 px) / 300dpi

does anyone know if this means the maximum size that could be printed out is 10 x 7? that appears somewhat small, even for the licensing fee they are charging for this. thank you.

gameused
09-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Have your tried AP images? I recently purchased some 8x10 photos from them and was very pleased, price was about $20 per photo.

mbenga28
09-14-2009, 03:02 PM
that looks great gameused, yes I checked AP and didn't see the photo there either.

rj_lucas
09-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Hi David thank you for your suggestions and advice. I also checked Corbis and unfortunately the image is not on their site, and Getty is the only place it is available.

As for the sizing, I just noticed beneath the image it said this:

17.2 MB / 10 x 6.67 in. (3000 x 2000 px) / 300dpi

does anyone know if this means the maximum size that could be printed out is 10 x 7? that appears somewhat small, even for the licensing fee they are charging for this. thank you.

No, the 10 x 6.67 inch measurement is just another way of expressing resolution. To use a pre-digital metaphor, think of it as the size of the negative.

With a file size of 17.2 MB, this is going to be an uncompressed RAW file, which means you could print a massive photograph (think mural size) with complete clarity.

In fact, you might want to consider buying a lower-resolution version of the image, which would lower your cost. Use the on-line chat feature and ask what resolution would be suitable for printing at 8x10 (or 11x14 or whatever size you think you'll print at).

There's no limit to the number of photos you can print, but of course, you can't sell them.

If you do buy the full 17.2 MB file, you're going to have to compress it (i.e. reduce the file size) anyway, since it's too large for on-line photo services or the kind of photo kiosk you'd find at someplace like Walgreens.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

mbenga28
09-14-2009, 03:14 PM
thank you Rick, this helps tremendously - completely opposite from what the live chat at GettyImages just told me, they said it would be impossible to print out a size larger than 10" x 6.67". They also said I could only print the image once, if I needed additional ones I would have to pay additional licensing fees.

I don't believe they have any price options, as what is quoted is the fee for the license.

I apologize for not being too savvy with photography, but in the event all that is available is the 17.2 MB, how can I go about compressing it as you mentioned? thank you.

slats7
09-14-2009, 03:21 PM
In the last month or so, Getty has stopped slapping watermarks on their images. The older images in their archives are still marked, however.

otismalibu
09-14-2009, 04:02 PM
I bought some scans from a photo archive a few weeks back. They came as TIF files on a disk. I cleaned them up in Photoshop and saved them as highest quality in JPEG format. They are all around 5MB in size. Can easily make nice 8x10s or 8x12s from that size. Even made a 12x16.

I just use Sam's Club. I think Costco has similar pricing. Almost free and in matte.

FWIW...AP won't sell NBA prints.

mbenga28
09-14-2009, 04:22 PM
sam's club is good, I use them also. I guess ideally I would love to get a 24" x 36" poster print but at 300 dpi, I'm not really sure if that size is possible though. your thoughts?

otismalibu
09-14-2009, 04:40 PM
I guess ideally I would love to get a 24" x 36" poster print but at 300 dpi, I'm not really sure if that size is possible though. your thoughts?

I guess it depends on the quality you want. If it's a photo like that Manny offering someone posted (where the subject takes up most of the photo), you might be able to get away with it.

Most of my old posters are pretty poor quality if you get up close. Nothing close to a 24x36 photo. Won't cost you much at Sam's to find out.

David
09-15-2009, 03:16 AM
Yes, 17.2 mb will be very big image. You could probably make a good poster with it.

Fdean
01-02-2013, 12:15 PM
If anyone needs help finding a photo..shoot me a message and I may be able to help.
thanks,

mickeymbz
01-02-2013, 09:40 PM
[quote=Fdean;311104]If anyone needs help finding a photo..shoot me a message and I may be able to help.
thanks,[/quot

can u email me need some images
mickeymbz@comcast.net

BO34
01-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Hi does anyone know if you find a photo at corbis, how you go about purchasing one? I assume you choose the online option and have a file emailed ....then say the image is 400 px or 640px, can you print a 8x10 from this?

Thanks

Mike

Always looking for Bo Jackson game used items
Email: bojackson34@live.com

HawaiiSportsNut
01-05-2013, 01:22 AM
Hi does anyone know if you find a photo at corbis, how you go about purchasing one? I assume you choose the online option and have a file emailed ....then say the image is 400 px or 640px, can you print a 8x10 from this?

Thanks

Mike

Always looking for Bo Jackson game used items
Email: bojackson34@live.com

unfortunately at 400x640 you won't even get a decent 4x6 pic from it. the best recommended size for a 8x10 is 2400x3000 at 300 dpi.

DonFan23
01-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Really disappointed in the product I received from dailynewspix.com (NY Daily News photo archive), and am now in a rush for a fix for a signing this weekend.

If anyone can help on short notice, please send me a PM. Thanks!

CampWest
01-23-2013, 01:28 PM
No, the 10 x 6.67 inch measurement is just another way of expressing resolution. To use a pre-digital metaphor, think of it as the size of the negative.

With a file size of 17.2 MB, this is going to be an uncompressed RAW file, which means you could print a massive photograph (think mural size) with complete clarity.

In fact, you might want to consider buying a lower-resolution version of the image, which would lower your cost. Use the on-line chat feature and ask what resolution would be suitable for printing at 8x10 (or 11x14 or whatever size you think you'll print at).

There's no limit to the number of photos you can print, but of course, you can't sell them.

If you do buy the full 17.2 MB file, you're going to have to compress it (i.e. reduce the file size) anyway, since it's too large for on-line photo services or the kind of photo kiosk you'd find at someplace like Walgreens.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Yeah, I've printed flawless 24x30 images with some cropping from a 12MB professional grade camera. So the 17.2 MB file would go well beyond that. Think approaching FatHead size. In fact, FatHead uses the same game photos from the same photographers as you will find on those media sites.

I would recommend trying someplace professional portrait photographers use like mpix.com for your prints, if the other sites are telling you to reduce your file size.

Fdean
02-08-2013, 10:19 AM
If anyone still needs help finding a photo..shoot me a message and I might be able to help.
thanks,

Fdean
02-17-2013, 03:22 PM
still able to help out - PM me for more info

Gopack1782
02-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Have your tried AP images? I recently purchased some 8x10 photos from them and was very pleased, price was about $20 per photo.

Hey game used...

Did you have to call ap to purchase that for personal use? I created an account and tried to add a photo to a cart, but it says that I don't have any type of license and to call the 1 800 to inquire on how to purchase.

Fdean
02-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Hey game used...

Did you have to call ap to purchase that for personal use? I created an account and tried to add a photo to a cart, but it says that I don't have any type of license and to call the 1 800 to inquire on how to purchase.

Gopack - please PM me your email. I should be able to help you out.

bigben7
02-17-2013, 10:25 PM
I need a couple of photos I sent you a PM.

Gopack1782
02-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Gopack - please PM me your email. I should be able to help you out.

Thanks man, pm sent.

Fdean
02-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Thanks man, pm sent.

I tried to respond but it says you dont accept PMs. Send me a PM w/ your email and we can talk there.
thanks,

Fdean
02-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Still willing to helping

Fdean
02-22-2013, 08:52 PM
if I didnt respond to any of your emails..please send them again. Ive been overloaded and wasnt sure who I did and didnt respond to. :D

nycpropain
02-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Isn't selling these against forums rules?

Fdean
02-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Isn't selling these against forums rules?

Who's selling? people are only sharing info on photo matching..ect

yanks12025
07-13-2013, 08:54 AM
How do I got about buying a Getty photo to make a 24x30 print. On their site they have many options but not just a single use. Thanks

AstrosGU
07-14-2013, 01:21 AM
Yanks shoot me an email, I can help you.

marks01234
07-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Anybody photomatched anything off Icon Sports Media? I could you use some help trying to.