PDA

View Full Version : The Express, Ernie Davis and a recollection...

Larry Pelliccioni
09-14-2009, 08:26 PM
When I was a boy my Mother, brother and I went roller skating at a rink on Put-In-Bay Ohio. My Mother fell and broke her back so we took her by boat to the Cleveland Clinic. While there she met two Cleveland Browns, Vince Costello and Dick Schafrath who told her that they were visiting a teammate that was very seriously sick and not likely to live out the year. When she shared the news with my brother and I, she had no idea who Ernie Davis was. We had known through our interest in sports how the Browns sent Bobby Mitchell to the Redskins in order to acquire the dream backfield of Ernie and Jim Brown. This was quite a blow to us. Fast forward and today I opened a box containing the Syracuse #44 Riddell suspension helmet worn by the actor (Rob Brown) wore in portraying Ernie Davis in the film: THE EXPRESS as well as a Cleveland Browns home uniform of Davis's #45 (a number retired by Cleveland on Ernie's passing.) Just wanted to share the joy of getting some of the items I have been blessed in acquiring.
Larry Pelliccioni

gwh11
09-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Larry,
Great items and a great story. Post some pictures if you can.
Guy

ziggy
09-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Is the Browns #45 jersey from the movie as well?