PDA

View Full Version : Huggins & Scott Auctions

philsfan
09-18-2009, 02:25 PM
http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=13264

It looks like a collector named Ed Dolan is auctioning off a bunch of Phil's game used jerseys, including this John Kruk 1993 Jersey. Can anyone tell me more about the authenticity of this Jersey, Ed Dolan or the Huggins auction site. I would like to make a purchase. Thanks all.

sox83cubs84
09-18-2009, 06:28 PM
http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=13264

It looks like a collector named Ed Dolan is auctioning off a bunch of Phil's game used jerseys, including this John Kruk 1993 Jersey. Can anyone tell me more about the authenticity of this Jersey, Ed Dolan or the Huggins auction site. I would like to make a purchase. Thanks all.

I have nothing but good things to say about Huggins & Scott. They are open to working with members of this Forum who spot problems with their items (of which there are very few).

Ed Dolan has a good grasp of Phillies jerseys (though not to the level of our own Howard Wolf). His personality is another thing, though...he tends to become quite belligerent and rude when his items are questioned. Many months ago, both Dave Bushing of MEARS and I emailed him about a Bo Jackson Royals jersey he had on eBay as game-used which was an obvious Score Board jersey with no team pedigree. He basically told us both to take a hike, and even took a cheap shot at me about the problems I had 10 years ago. Fortunately, he isn't employed by H&S.

I saw the jersey (in fact, I was the one who helped them date it to 1992-93...it was originally described as a 1994). I'm cool with the jersey, although Howard's opinions would be welcomed, as, unlike me, a jack-of-all-trades guy, he is the supreme student and foremost hobby expert on Phillies jerseys. Hopefully, he'll chime in. Good luck.

Dave M.
Chicago area

hblakewolf
09-18-2009, 07:46 PM
I have nothing but good things to say about Huggins & Scott. They are open to working with members of this Forum who spot problems with their items (of which there are very few).

Ed Dolan has a good grasp of Phillies jerseys (though not to the level of our own Howard Wolf). His personality is another thing, though...he tends to become quite belligerent and rude when his items are questioned. Many months ago, both Dave Bushing of MEARS and I emailed him about a Bo Jackson Royals jersey he had on eBay as game-used which was an obvious Score Board jersey with no team pedigree. He basically told us both to take a hike, and even took a cheap shot at me about the problems I had 10 years ago. Fortunately, he isn't employed by H&S.

I saw the jersey (in fact, I was the one who helped them date it to 1992-93...it was originally described as a 1994). I'm cool with the jersey, although Howard's opinions would be welcomed, as, unlike me, a jack-of-all-trades guy, he is the supreme student and foremost hobby expert on Phillies jerseys. Hopefully, he'll chime in. Good luck.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Dave-

I echo your praises about Huggins and Scott. As both a consignor and bidder, I've been extremely pleased with the way in which they run an auction and also offer their items. They do a great job of both describing the items in great detail and also providing a nice selection of supporting photos.

I've spoken to Bill Huggins and his staff about a few of the Phillies jerseys in past auctions and this current auction. Although some details were incorrect, they are always quick to listen, learn and make revisions as needed.

The Kruk jersey in question is most likely from 1993, as 1992 homes had a large year tag in the tail, 1994 the 125th patch and 1995 another sleeve patch. After pointing out to Bill that it may be a 1994 or 1995 with the patch removed, I was quickly contacted back and told there is no outline present. As such, the shirt was revised to reflect "Circa 1993". Based upon the photos, the shirt appears to be as described and if I was seeking a home Kruk of this style, would make a bid without any worries.

Ther last few auctions and the current auction have offered some very nice Phillies jerseys, jackets, helmets and related equipment. The large majority did indeed come from the collection of Ed Dolan, who I understand is parting with his collection via Huggins. As many collectors know, he had a great collection and a retail memorabilia store in New Jersey, just over the bridge from Philadelphia. Yes, his personality was "unique" to say the least, however, he did afford me the opportunity to add some great 1970's Phillies knits to my collection.

As most Phillies and long-time uniform collectors are aware, I'm always seeking all original, better name Phillies knits from the Vet Stadium Era, with a focus on 1974-1993. I was extremely fortunate to recently add two, 100% original 1976 home jerseys to my collection. Finding original mid 1970's Phillies knits is hard enough, let alone original 1976 with both patches still intact. These gems were spared from seeing any additional use after the 1976 season, as was the norm for the Phillies to recycle their gamers to their various minor league teams for many seasons to come.

Should any collector have questions or seek opinions about any of the Phillies jerseys in the Huggins auction, or Phillies jerseys in the future, feel free to drop me an email at the address below-I'm always happy to help. Likewise, I'm always seeking quality knits as noted above.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

philsfan
09-18-2009, 08:22 PM
I just wanted to say thank you to Dave and Howard for the insightful advice. I grew up in the Philly area and love the team. Thanks again fellas. I will bid with confidence.

Regards,
David K

David
09-20-2009, 02:29 PM
I've dealt with Huggins & Scott and they're a good auction house. Honest, good with shipping, etc.

aeneas01
09-21-2009, 06:09 AM
They are open to working with members of this Forum who spot problems with their items...

i agree, that's been my experience as well - very responsive. btw this is a refreshing thread, giving credit to an auction house where credit is due...