PDA

View Full Version : Bernie Kosar game used Browns jersey?

anatfan09
09-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Recently obtained this jersey online. Does this appear to be a gamer? The jersey has been signed on that back. Kosar appears on a name plate. Size 44. Individual I purchased it from said he obtained it personally from Kosar. Shoulders appear larger than a regular store jersey. If authentic what year would this be from? I have seen a similar INTERA 100% nylon tag on 1993 game used Russell baseball jerseys. Has lots of dirt, what appears to possibly be blood marks.

tcfor3
09-21-2009, 08:14 PM
This is a high end "authentic" jersey,but not a Kosar game jersey.

The tag on the back of the inside neck is the first give away. Browns' game jerseys from Russell did not have neck tags.

Also, by the late 1980's, Kosar typically wore size 46 to 48 jerseys to accomodate the flak jack he wore to protect his ribs. A size 44 jersey would have been too small for him at this point in his career.

His game jerseys were also longer as he was taller (about 6'-5") so there should be a tag for extra length attached to the front size tag.

The Browns wore Russell game jerseys from 1991-1995. The NFL logo first appeared on NFL game jerseys in 1992. Kosar's last year with the Browns was 1993. This jersey would date from 1992-1993.

Finally, Berea 1 Sports did the lettering on Browns' game jerseys until 1995 when the team moved. They would also letter these high quality replicas with the same nameplates as game jerseys for fans who wanted to look like a pro. Berea 1 Sports went out of business shortly after the Browns moved.

anatfan09
09-21-2009, 08:34 PM
I actually bought this on ebay, seller had no feedback & posted no photos of the jersey. Guess that is what I deserve for being so trusting. Thanks for the info on the jersey.

NEFAN
09-21-2009, 09:17 PM
You may have some recourse if it was advertised as game used. If you paid via Paypal also. It is basically internet fraud which is a felony. Contact the seller first, them eBay/Paypal and if you don't get resolution, try this web site http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/reporting.htm .

Don't be a victim!

notxpensv4u
09-22-2009, 01:19 PM
One BIG giveaway for me. Didn't Bernie have hand warming pockets on the front of his jerseys?

tcfor3
09-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Kosar had a hand warmer pocket sewn on one of each of his durene-type home and road jerseys, not the mesh ones. He also had durene-type jerseys without hand warmer pockets.

The mesh jerseys were used in warmer weather games and the durene-type for colder weather contests.