PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on cleaning stinky jersey

UGA-1
09-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Hello to all
I recently purchased a very nice Chris Doleman Pitt Panthers jersey. Only problem is the smell since it came from an obvious cigar smoking owner. Anyone ever encounter this problem? Any suggestion on removing the odor? Thanks

genius
09-23-2009, 04:09 PM
I had a Pens Ron Francis jersey that reeked of cigarette smoke, sold it as a "clunker" because of it, buyer said he soaked it in Oxyclean and not only did it get the smell out it became bright white. Try at your own risk though, I have no first-hand experience! I just bought Doleman's sideline warmup jacket...your jersey is the only other Sugar Bowl jersey I have seen besides mine (kicker Eric Schubert). Great item!

ndevlin
09-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Try spraying febreze on it and let it hang on the clothes line for a while. See if that helps.

TriplexXxSports
09-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Try spraying febreze on it and let it hang on the clothes line for a while. See if that helps.

Agreed. Letting it air out for a few days is your best bet. Out in the garage or someplace safe at night and then put it out for some fresh air during the day.

Another thing that you can do is toss it in the dryer, low heat, no FS Sheets though. This helps to air it out as well.

Do not wash it, or soak it! This will ultimately alter the condition of the jersey. If you do you FeBreeze, use a VERY SMALL amount. Spray it from a distance so it doesn't soak the fabric. Spray it while its outside on the line or something.

Good luck

uhgrad2002
09-24-2009, 08:16 AM
When I use to do Civil War re-enacting, I wanted to make my uniform tolerable without resorting to modern methods. I had good success by hanging my uniform outside where the sun and breeze could reach it. A couple of sunny/windy days would freshen it up pretty well without taking off any dirt, grass stains, etc... You might want to tie a cord through the neck and arm holes to secure it from getting blown off the hanger. Of course, you want to do it in a relatively secure place. If such a place is not available outside, you might be able to set up something near a sun-lit, screened in window.

TriplexXxSports
09-24-2009, 02:44 PM
When I use to do Civil War re-enacting, I wanted to make my uniform tolerable without resorting to modern methods. I had good success by hanging my uniform outside where the sun and breeze could reach it. A couple of sunny/windy days would freshen it up pretty well without taking off any dirt, grass stains, etc... You might want to tie a cord through the neck and arm holes to secure it from getting blown off the hanger. Of course, you want to do it in a relatively secure place. If such a place is not available outside, you might be able to set up something near a sun-lit, screened in window.

Agreed....However, be weary that sunlight, especially direct sunlight, can and will fade a jersey.

flaco1801
09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
g-d forbid you wsh it... u really believe the player was the last to put it on?

ziggy
09-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Just wash it. 99% of the jerseys that come from the teams were washed before being sold.

UGA-1
09-24-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm scared to wash it due to the age, and screened on numbers. Plus the threads are loose on the sleeves and i know they will come out in a wash cycle. The info so far has been fantastic. Thanks to everyone. How do you feel about dry cleaning?????

scottanservitz
09-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I agree with a very light Febreeze and let it hang outside to get some fresh air. This should do the trick. I wouldn't dry clean as that is a chemical process and it could damage it. If the odor is still there repeat the air out process a few times. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Scott

ndevlin
09-24-2009, 08:54 PM
I personally would not wash it, but thats just me.

NEFAN
09-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Wash it on gentle cycle, hang to dry.

ndevlin
09-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Whats the point of washing a game used jersey, to only wash off the game use out of it(grass stains, dirt, blood). Not only that, washing something from that timeframe could damage/ruin tagging/emblems/numbers on the jersey.

Like I said, I wouldnt wash it, but its not my jersey either.

Toowon
09-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Please sell me you Chris Doleman Pitt jersey and don't worry about cleaning it. I want that jersey! Lets go Pitt!

Swoboda4
09-30-2009, 12:55 AM
The only game used item I washed was Frank Viola's 1990 Mets pants. It smelled of mold and didn't have game used dirt or grass so it had to be done. Besides it was used in the minors so Viola wasn't the last to wear it. But it smelled that bad and would have contaminated other items. I just followed the label instructions and machine washed it and I was very happy I did. Besides smelling better it's softer and seems less brittle/dry. I have it in a display with other items so cleaning in this example was necessary.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/redmills/aviola7.jpg?t=1254289583

UGA-1
09-30-2009, 06:22 PM
The jersey doesn't have any stains, dirt,or anything on it because it was last worn in the 1982 Sugar Bowl which was indoors. I really want to be careful with it due to an interesting fact. The jersey has 3 nameplates attached on the back. (PITT did not remove the nameplates from their jerseys apparently) I can not tell whos name is on the bottom nameplate, but the second one is"GRIMM". That can only be Russ Grimm who was #56 before Doleman. That means that 2 possible NFL HOF players used this jersey in college. That has to make this jersey a rare item. Right now I am leaning toward just the Febreeze and air out. Glad I started this thread as all this info has been great!!

genius
10-02-2009, 10:20 PM
I have a Pitt 1982 Sugar Bowl jersey as well, Eric Schubert #1. There is another nameplate beneath it, looks like "Trout" which would of course be previous kicker Dave Trout. They definitely just sewed new nameplates over the old ones!