PDA

View Full Version : Winfield Gamer

philsfan
09-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Any thoughts? Auction ends tomorrow. Was he using Cooper as a Yankee or Blue Jay? Does it appear authentic? I haven't seen any other Winfield bats at auction. Thanks all.

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=4489

SkubeBats
09-23-2009, 04:08 PM
I find this bat to be questionable. First off were are the compnay stampings for the size and weight that are found on all Cooper bats. Plus the model number on the barrel is a problem. Most model number start with a letter or two. I have owned several Winfiled Cooper bats and they were all DW20. I wouldn't buy this bat.

rj_lucas
09-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Jamie, good work and kudos to MEARS.

-----------------

Lot #17, 1986-95 Dave Winfield Cooper Professional Model Game Used Bat - Yankees / Angels / Blue Jays / Twins / Indians (MEARS A8.5), has been removed from our auction.

A question was raised regarding the lack of factory stampings on the barrel. Although rare, we have had examples of common players that were not factory stamped. The knob was manufactured with a professional finish as opposed to the mass produced belt sanded finish that is found on promotional Cooper bats. Additionally, the wood was of very high quality, not the cheaper promotional model grade wood found on samples.
The degree of use was very heavy, with very, very deep lace and stitch marks, which was very consistent with previously examined Dave Winfield bats. MEARS Auctions has decided to pull the bat from auction until actual examples can be cited and offered for comparison. The fact that this bat is most often offered with factory stampings and this bat does not have those markings should have been disclosed at the time of auction. All available information was not provided at the time of sale, therefore our decision to remove the lot.

I want to thank collector Jamie Schultz for bringing this to my attention and apologize to those bidders that had placed bids.

Regards,

Troy R. Kinunen/MEARS

3arod13
09-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Just one of the many reasons GUU is a valuable asset to the game used community.

Kudos!

Regards, Tony

SkubeBats
02-24-2010, 10:37 PM
I see Troy pulled this bat the first time it was in their auction. Then why is it back in this months auction once again?? I can't believe they would put the same bat back into heir own auction. Now I want to see what Troy has to say this time...

metsbats
02-24-2010, 11:33 PM
They pulled the bat last year because the information about the missing factory stampings were not disclosed at the time of sale. This time the knob is shown in the lot therefore that information is disclosed. Perhaps they found the variation or examples of Cooper pro model bats without the stamps. Would be interesting to see what Troy says now.

Regarding the use on the bat the tape job and pine tar is very typical of how Winfield used bats during the 90's though.

SkubeBats
02-25-2010, 08:25 PM
metsbats,
They did show a picture of the knob last time it was listed in their auction.

metsbats
02-25-2010, 11:31 PM
metsbats,
They did show a picture of the knob last time it was listed in their auction.

Good point. Troy has some spaining to do!

metsbats
02-26-2010, 07:08 AM
Folks,

I received and email from Troy and Mears is rectifying the situation.

Thank you Troy for the response.

SkubeBats
02-27-2010, 08:29 AM
So what is Troy going to do about it this time??? Wht excuse does he have this time???

metsbats
03-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Jamie,

Troy explained it was simply a listing oversight. This bat will be placed in the Mears archives and used for reference and education purposes only.

-David

SkubeBats
03-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Sure it will be...Until it shows up in another one of their auctiuons.