PDA

View Full Version : thoughts about game used joe jackson bat on ebay

fencepost
05-31-2006, 08:43 PM
On Ebay,I have recently bid on a Joe Jackson post 1930's barnstorming bat graded A4 by Mears.I was the first to bid the item at $2000.00.The auction has been over for a few days.the winning bid was about $7600.00.The winning bidder I was told had a problem with the transaction,and since was offered a second chance offer,to purchase the bat at $2000.00.The seller username was Bluechipinvestments.Does anybody know anything about them,or as to why they would be selling the bat so cheep when there was three bidders,and I was the first.would appreciate any help.afraid to pull trigger.Thanks

mr.miracle
05-31-2006, 09:10 PM
Be very, very careful to make sure that the email regarding this item came directly from the seller of this item. I just recently was the runner up bidder on an ebay auction and the exact same thing happened to me just last week. Somebody claiming to be the seller sent me an email with all the ebay flags, and logos attached as if it came through ebay with the items description and so forth. The guy said he needed to sell this item and would take less than 1/3rd its final bid price and less than half of his buy it now price. After asking a few questions, I quickly realized that this was not the seller and was in fact a con artist. The fake person wanted me to Western Union money to him and said he would mail the bat right away. Just be very careful, I contacted ebay and they said that it was not a listed ebay seller. If you are sure it is the same person that is selling the bat that is fine, but if you are not careful, you might find yourself out of money real quick with nothing to show for it.

Thanks
Brett

P.S. I have been doing business on ebay for about 8 or 9 years and this is the first time anything like that has ever happened to me.

mr.miracle
05-31-2006, 09:12 PM
By the way, the email that was sent was exactly like you said, a second chance offer. Please verify that this is an authentic email from the seller. The email that was sent to me told me to contact the seller through another email address not through the ask seller a question method on ebay. That is another dead give away that this is a scam.

sammy
05-31-2006, 09:20 PM
If it is a legitimate "Second Chance Offer" you will be able to find the e-mail in the message section of your "My eBay".

The bat is worth the 2k, just make sure you pay with a credit card and stipulate that the bat must be shipped via overnight mail on the day after payment has been made.

Make sure you get a tracking number that day.

If the seller says that is ok and then doesn't send you a real tracking number, or you don't get the bat when promised, file a complaint with PayPal and that will place a hold on your payment.

Good luck.

MSpecht
05-31-2006, 10:18 PM
I looked for the bat under 'completed listings,' but was unable to find it... do you have a link ???

Mike

sammy
05-31-2006, 10:44 PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info on the Munson bat.

On the Jackson bat, go to the completed auctions page and type in "Joe Jackson" with "Price: highest first"

It's right at the top of the page.

suave1477
05-31-2006, 11:18 PM
fence i dont know if your second chance offer is real or not but someone recently just mentioned Bluechip investments in one of the other posts questioning there items. Find that post and judge for yourself from all the advice given to you and try to make the right decsion!!!

cjmedina1
05-31-2006, 11:42 PM
I looked at the auction and there is a few things not to over look.

1.The auction was a reserve auction,And it did not reach the reserve price if so it would have said reserve met.
2.There was three bidders you and 2 other people.I'm not sure why would the seller not offer to the next high bidder(7500.00).But then again reserve not met.It looks like you was the first bidder of the auction.After looking at the auction and the seller offer you a second chance there would have been no reserve on the auction.

I thought I would point out a few Red flags about the auction That I see.Hope this helps
Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

bat_master
06-01-2006, 06:20 AM
fence i dont know if your second chance offer is real or not but someone recently just mentioned Bluechip investments in one of the other posts questioning there items. Find that post and judge for yourself from all the advice given to you and try to make the right decsion!!!

SUAVE: Was it Bluechip Investments or are you referring to Blue Chip Sports? I do know that Howard made reference to a Tejada jersey that had questionable Majestic strip tagging in the tail and that was Blue Chip Sports. Please see the attached thread: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=2980

Can you please check your facts before you post? Thanks

As an aside, that Jackson bat looks very nice! I would agree to be careful, however I think anytime one is going to spend a lot of money on an item (no matter the selling venue) he or she should take the time to thoroughly research before making a decision.

Tim Byington
www.tjsportsmn.com (http://www.tjsportsmn.com)

ghostkid
06-01-2006, 08:37 AM
This exact same bat was sold for $4467.35 (including B.P.) in the Vintage authentics auction that ended March 30, 2006. It was lot #14. A month later (april 27) an ebayer named bluechipinvests bought it using the "buy it now" on ebay for $9250. Check out this link to the ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8799597600&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Don't know if bluechipinvests is the same person as bluechipinvestments, but they do not have the same feedback rating.

Kevin

suave1477
06-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Can you please check your facts before you post? Thanks

Batmaster please check my facts? Umm i didnt state a fact I stated an opinion which I told fence took look up it up on here and research for himself.
I never said for certain if it was bluechip investments or sports or too take my word for it!!!
So please think before you post!! Thanks

bat_master
06-01-2006, 10:41 AM

Batmaster please check my facts? Umm i didnt state a fact I stated an opinion which I told fence took look up it up on here and research for himself.
I never said for certain if it was bluechip investments or sports or too take my word for it!!!
So please think before you post!! Thanks

SUAVE: You didn't mention if it was bluechip investments or sports? Are you sure? It's right there in print. Someone new to the forum that for some reason only read your post could be thinking that Bluechip Investments has questionable items. Is that really the message that was was intended?

I always think before I post. It's how I avoid spelling mistakes and the use of words like "bcuz".

Tim Byington
www.tjsportsmn.com (http://www.tjsportsmn.com)

suave1477
06-01-2006, 11:11 AM
BatMasters ok I didnt realize I did specify Bluechip investments but again it was an opinion and I did tell the fence too look it up for himself to find read the thread and judge for himself.

As far as my grammar, you have to excuse me I am at work and my grammar tends to be off BCUZ I am trying to do 2 things at once also I use the word BCUZ its quicker to type. So it is mispelled on purpose!!!!

earlywynnfan
06-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Fencepost, you are about to be scammed. For a while there, I was getting these second chance offers on every item that went for over $1000. Like you, I was wondering why they would make an offer to the person 5 places down on the bid list for 1/3 the selling price. I usually pursue these as a lark, but never send money. I'll bet you 5 bucks they will want you to pay by Western Union, and they are offshore, although I did find one idiot who twice tried to scam me from Baltimore. The offer came because they broke into the real seller's account; I had it happen to me.

Go with your gut and delete the offer. Or, you could compliment them on their creativity and excellence of detail. Once I tried to make conversation with the SOB and ask how many people fall for these scams; I'd love to know how much $$ they pull in, but he cut off communication.

Ken

I've found that if you are ever in doubt, ask the seller to send you another scan of the item and ask them to include something simple in the scan like a quarter or a postage stamp. This will prove that they at least have the item.

BULBUS
06-01-2006, 01:32 PM
ken,
my ebay account was highjacked once. this person was able to get my account info, take over my account and was listing high priced season tickets to the lakers and other events. i emailed him and he was very resonsive to me. as i was cursing him out, he was replying to me to calm down, i'll have my account back in a couple of days. he said he does this all the time and he was bragging how much money he was making. he told me $40,000 in two days.

fence,
its got to be a scam, be very careful. i havent received one of these second chance offers, then again, i havent bid on anything over $1,000 in a long time.

suave1477
06-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Bulbus, im sorry after i was hysterical laughing on the floor i had to ask you for sure!!!
Did he actually tell you to calm down? and that he will give you your account back in a couple of days?
Im sorry man i dont mean to laugh but that is the funniest thing I heard in a long time lmaooooooooooo:D :D :D

BULBUS
06-01-2006, 01:45 PM
suave, i thought it was pretty funny too. not for the poor fools that sent him money though. and yes, he told me to calm down :D he didnt even curse back at me. we exchanged a few emails, i think i still have the print out of them. he didnt answer some of my questions though, like where do you live or how did you get my info. after i had my account back i received a couple of emails from the people who were scammed. they said he was in australia. who would send money to australia for lakers tickets???

MSpecht
06-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Just my two cents here-- I would be very suspicious of the legitimacy of the second chance offer--- as a seller on ebay, I have twice had people contact me about "Second Chance Offers" that I had supposedly sent to them that I had not sent, and knew nothing about. The two times it happened I contacted Ebay who said basically that this is a common scam and please have the contacted person forward Ebay the "Offer" and they would attempt to pursue it from their end. This happened, of course, on fairly high-priced items. Go through the steps Sammy suggested (My Ebay, etc.) and contact the seller by telephone if possible...also contact the winning bidder through Ebay mail and see if the deal actually fell through.

Secondly, about the bat itself-- I believe that often times, on Ebay and in Auction House listings, both the description and the Letter of Opinion/Authenticity should be read very closely as they don't always match up well. In the description of this bat, it states "certified game-used by Shoeless Joe Jackson," then talks about barnstorming, Babe Ruth, etc. However, the LOA, issued by Mears and Graded A4 doesn't actually say that. What the LOA states is that the bat was manufactured in the early 1930s, some 10 years or so after Jackson's last appearance in organized professional baseball and when he was at least 41 years old, and that it is shown in a 1930 manufacturer's catalogue. The history of the bat stops there. The letter also states that there is no additional provenance. From that, I would reason that the bat matches Hanna Batrite "factory records" by appearing in a catalogue of bats that were available for purchase by the public and by and through retailers. From there, how does the seller place the bat into Shoeless Joe's hands? Maybe I should revisit those Ted Williams' Sears bats

The letter also shows Joe Jackson as a "Pre-war Hall of Famer." I guess i missed that election.

Mike

mr.miracle
06-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Just to add a few things to this, when I realized that the guy last week was trying to scam me, he and I actually exchanged emails where I told him he was a dumb jack&%$ if he thought people would fall for this. He told me many had. I told him I reported him to ebay and the authorities. He told me if I correctly guessed the country he was in he would swear to tell me the truth. Based on the grammer and speech patterns in the emails I concluded (wild guess here) Germany, Austria, Hungary etc. He never responded when I told him that and that is the very last I heard from him. Apparently this type of thing does go on all the time.

That story of Bulbus is hilarious. You are right, who would send money down under for Lakers tickets. Then again, Phil Jackson does like to vacation in Australia, maybe he has a big fan base down there. :rolleyes:

both-teams-played-hard
06-01-2006, 02:20 PM
The letter also shows Joe Jackson as a "Pre-war Hall of Famer."

Dear Rand McNally,
There seems to be a war that was unmentioned in my textbook.