PDA

View Full Version : Ty Cobb records from the 1920's

ghostkid
06-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Hey Guys,

I think the answer is no, but I gotta ask anyway. Do Ty Cobb bat H&B records exist? I understand Mr. Cobb preferred 34-34.5 inch bats, but is there any proof that he ever used bats outside of this range?

Thanks,
Kevin

MSpecht
06-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi Kevin--

Actually, there are H & B records that exist from the 1920's and earlier. A log book referencing shipments from 1911 to 1914 exists, however it is fragile and missing pages, and is by no means a complete archive. The earliest complete records consist of yearly log books, one book per year from 1920 to 1929 (except for 1924, which is missing.) All of the records from these early sources, for Hall of Fame players, are incorporated in Vince Malta's soon-to-be published book, A Complete Reference guide to Louisville Slugger Professional Player Bats, which is included with Game Used Universe Premium Membership package, and will also be sold on-line through Game Used Universe.

Regarding Ty Cobb, the documented evidence that exists include a diagram of His Original Cobb model that sets the uniform length of the Cobb model bat at 34.5 inches. That length is also consistent with the H & B Cobb display bat, which is 34.5 inches and 42 ounces. Additional evidence of the 34.5 inch length for Cobb is found in the orders of other players for Cobb model bats. Generally in those orders, only weights are mentioned, as the length is standardized at 34.5 inches. In the rare instance where a length is noted, it is a length that is a deviation from 34.5 inches, as that length iwas the standard for a Cobb model, either sent to Cobb or ordered by another player. That is the documented evidence that currently exists.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

ghostkid
06-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the info on Cobb bat lengths. I'm looking forward to getting my copy of Malta's long-awaited new guide...

Kevin

jboosted92
09-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi Kevin--

Actually, there are H & B records that exist from the 1920's and earlier. A log book referencing shipments from 1911 to 1914 exists, however it is fragile and missing pages, and is by no means a complete archive. The earliest complete records consist of yearly log books, one book per year from 1920 to 1929 (except for 1924, which is missing.) All of the records from these early sources, for Hall of Fame players, are incorporated in Vince Malta's soon-to-be published book, A Complete Reference guide to Louisville Slugger Professional Player Bats, which is included with Game Used Universe Premium Membership package, and will also be sold on-line through Game Used Universe.

Regarding Ty Cobb, the documented evidence that exists include a diagram of His Original Cobb model that sets the uniform length of the Cobb model bat at 34.5 inches. That length is also consistent with the H & B Cobb display bat, which is 34.5 inches and 42 ounces. Additional evidence of the 34.5 inch length for Cobb is found in the orders of other players for Cobb model bats. Generally in those orders, only weights are mentioned, as the length is standardized at 34.5 inches. In the rare instance where a length is noted, it is a length that is a deviation from 34.5 inches, as that length iwas the standard for a Cobb model, either sent to Cobb or ordered by another player. That is the documented evidence that currently exists.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Just an FYI... ( old topic..i know) there have been side-written Cobb bats (sidewritten with Cobbs name) that have deviated from the 34.5. I have seen 34.125 and 34. 875 side-written. I believe there is a 34 inch sidewritten out there...but im not sure..

I would be leary of 33 inch and 36 inch models

jboosted92
09-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Just an FYI... ( old topic..i know) there have been side-written Cobb bats (sidewritten with Cobbs name) that have deviated from the 34.5. I have seen 34.125 and 34. 875 side-written. I believe there is a 34 inch sidewritten out there...but im not sure..

I should mention, that i understand why MikeS. doesnt deviate his answers away from DOCUMENTED Evidence that HE has seen. Which is understood, and appreciated.

(didnt want anyone thinking I was contradicting that)

ghostkid
09-22-2006, 02:07 PM

Hey jboosted,

Thanks for your thoughts. Let me now ask a follow-up question.

Let's say I'd like to get a Ty Cobb professional model game used bat. Of course, I'd like to get a fully-documented side-written bat that has ideal player characteristics and matches exactly to know Cobb specs. But, I cannot afford the $100K+++ that it would take to add this bat to my collection - even if i could find one for sale.

From my research, I believe a more affordable purchase would be a 1921-31 pro model bat that is of proper length (34.5" plus or minus a bit) and weighing somewhere in the 35-38 ounce neighborhood. Based on recent auction prices, I figure a bat like this would sell for about $40-60K, which is still beyond my budget.:(

Okay, what can I afford?:confused: Let's say I'm being offered a 1921-31 pro model 33" bat with a hand turned knob, weight within an acceptable range (35-38 ounces), and decent player characteristics (excellent use, remnants of handle tape and a bunch of cleat marks, but no tobbacco juice). So, clearly this bat has good value, but not nearly as much value as the bats described above. What's a decent price? I figure somewhere between 25-35% of the 1921-31 bat described that goes for $40-60K. So, that computes to a range of $10-21K. What do ya think?

Kevin Kasper

jboosted92
09-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Hey jboosted,

Thanks for your thoughts. Let me now ask a follow-up question.

Let's say I'd like to get a Ty Cobb professional model game used bat. Of course, I'd like to get a fully-documented side-written bat that has ideal player characteristics and matches exactly to know Cobb specs. But, I cannot afford the $100K+++ that it would take to add this bat to my collection - even if i could find one for sale.

From my research, I believe a more affordable purchase would be a 1921-31 pro model bat that is of proper length (34.5" plus or minus a bit) and weighing somewhere in the 35-38 ounce neighborhood. Based on recent auction prices, I figure a bat like this would sell for about $40-60K, which is still beyond my budget.:(

Okay, what can I afford?:confused: Let's say I'm being offered a 1921-31 pro model 33" bat with a hand turned knob, weight within an acceptable range (35-38 ounces), and decent player characteristics (excellent use, remnants of handle tape and a bunch of cleat marks, but no tobbacco juice). So, clearly this bat has good value, but not nearly as much value as the bats described above. What's a decent price? I figure somewhere between 25-35% of the 1921-31 bat described that goes for $40-60K. So, that computes to a range of $10-21K. What do ya think?

Kevin Kasper

Although no document proof, I believe within reason that Cobb might have used a 33 inch bat. the Player characteristics are key. I know that in the later part of his career, i have seen numerous photos with White tape. (21-31) personally, I would have to see the photos to make a more sound judgment. As you know, Cobb choked up and typically had his hands separated through his swing. The tape remnats might show some evidence towards this. what i mean is, that since he choked up, the tape may not have went alll the way to the knob, and the depressions (from his hands) may show separation. It depends on how much tape is left. My Cobb pro model bat 1914-15 has black tape, 10 inches long, not all the way to the knob (but close) and the remnats are stronger in the areas where he would have put his hands. (pressure from grip)

Now the above is all theory, but can be backed up from pictures.

MSpecht
09-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Hi Kevin--

I appreciate both your comments and Justin's. As he correctly mentions, I place significant value on documented records where those records exist and are in sufficient enough number to establish an apparently reliable pattern. Is that too conservative ? Maybe some collectors think so. Regardless, for the most part, I believe that the records speak for themselves -- as collectors and potential buyers, each of us has to determine what reasonable conclusions can be drawn from a complete analytical examination of all existing facts.

Are there 'reliable records' other than documented factory records? Certainly. Photographic evidence is often compelling in determining individual use characteristics. But, again, conclusions should be reasoned. For instance, show me a photo of, say, Mickey Cochrane at bat using a Kork Grip H & B bat, and it is clear evidence that he used a Kork Grip bat (on at least one occasion) even though there is no documented notation in his factory records. That is compelling and reasonable. However, show me a photo of Cochrane standing in front of the Tiger dugout talking to a teammate, and 20 feet away lying on the ground is a Kork Grip bat ?? Don't try to convince me that it is reasonable to use this as 'evidence' that Cochrane used or even may have used a Kork Grip bat.

Relative to the Cobb bat, since the original post and responses I have seen a photo, while doing non-related research, that suggests a Cobb model (made for him), indexed and diagrammed at what appears to be 34 inches in length, I am attempting to get some clarification on the photo, but have had no response from wither the photographer or author of the book to date. For those interested, check out page 44 of Bob Hill's Crack of the Bat.

So, the question here is how, and through what reasoning, do you place a 33 inch bat into Cobb's hands? Numerous players ordered Cobb model bats during the period, including Joe Sewell, Riggs Stephenson, and Heine Manush. The stamping on those bats is unclear. How about some of Cobb's own teammates, such as Pinky Hargrove, Chick Galloway, and Jackie Tavener, all of whom were physically between 5 and 8 inches shorter than Cobb, and would possibly be comfortable with a 33 inch bat of their famous teammate. What is the answer?

That's the problem -- we just don't know. We can speculate all day and night about 'what might have been," but ultimately, the decision is how comfortable is a collector with any given conclusion based on demonstrable facts. In this case, would you be $50 confortable, $12,000 confortable, or $40,000 confortable with a 33 inch Ty Cobb professional model bat (not documented in Cobb's existing records -- either in 18 orders from 1921-1928, two diagrammed index bats, or his H & B display bat) with professional game use that is difficult to attribute to any specific player?

Again, there is no right or wrong answer, just information to help in establishing a comfort level.

Good Luck in future collecting, and thanks for the thought-provoking posts.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

jboosted92
09-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi Kevin--

I appreciate both your comments and Justin's. As he correctly mentions, I place significant value on documented records where those records exist and are in sufficient enough number to establish an apparently reliable pattern. Is that too conservative ? Maybe some collectors think so. Regardless, for the most part, I believe that the records speak for themselves -- as collectors and potential buyers, each of us has to determine what reasonable conclusions can be drawn from a complete analytical examination of all existing facts.

Are there 'reliable records' other than documented factory records? Certainly. Photographic evidence is often compelling in determining individual use characteristics. But, again, conclusions should be reasoned. For instance, show me a photo of, say, Mickey Cochrane at bat using a Kork Grip H & B bat, and it is clear evidence that he used a Kork Grip bat (on at least one occasion) even though there is no documented notation in his factory records. That is compelling and reasonable. However, show me a photo of Cochrane standing in front of the Tiger dugout talking to a teammate, and 20 feet away lying on the ground is a Kork Grip bat ?? Don't try to convince me that it is reasonable to use this as 'evidence' that Cochrane used or even may have used a Kork Grip bat.

Relative to the Cobb bat, since the original post and responses I have seen a photo, while doing non-related research, that suggests a Cobb model (made for him), indexed and diagrammed at what appears to be 34 inches in length, I am attempting to get some clarification on the photo, but have had no response from wither the photographer or author of the book to date. For those interested, check out page 44 of Bob Hill's Crack of the Bat.

So, the question here is how, and through what reasoning, do you place a 33 inch bat into Cobb's hands? Numerous players ordered Cobb model bats during the period, including Joe Sewell, Riggs Stephenson, and Heine Manush. The stamping on those bats is unclear. How about some of Cobb's own teammates, such as Pinky Hargrove, Chick Galloway, and Jackie Tavener, all of whom were physically between 5 and 8 inches shorter than Cobb, and would possibly be comfortable with a 33 inch bat of their famous teammate. What is the answer?

That's the problem -- we just don't know. We can speculate all day and night about 'what might have been," but ultimately, the decision is how comfortable is a collector with any given conclusion based on demonstrable facts. In this case, would you be $50 confortable, $12,000 confortable, or $40,000 confortable with a 33 inch Ty Cobb professional model bat (not documented in Cobb's existing records -- either in 18 orders from 1921-1928, two diagrammed index bats, or his H & B display bat) with professional game use that is difficult to attribute to any specific player?

Again, there is no right or wrong answer, just information to help in establishing a comfort level.

Good Luck in future collecting, and thanks for the thought-provoking posts.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

I agree, COMFORTABILITY (is that a word??) is exactly it. Also, demand, timing, auctions play a part too, when you start talking about THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars, these items can flunctuate up and down..up and down..

When I purchase, I look for the "Good Deals"...I feel "comfortable" with.

A 34 inch Cobb bat with "Cobb" characteristics, photo, tape pattern..etc..blah blah blah at a "good deal" price... Im all over it..

A 33 inch " " " " " " " at what price?? well that depends...with my COMFORTABILITY!! (i think its a word...)

ghostkid
09-22-2006, 08:47 PM

Mike,

Thanks for your comments. By the way, nice eye on catching that Crack of the Bat photo on page 44. It's quite interesting and I hope you will share with me any pertinent info you may learn from the photographer and/or auther of the book.

Kevin

MSpecht
09-22-2006, 11:26 PM
I certainly will Kevin...

Hopefully we will be able to get some additional information within the next week or so.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

sforaker
09-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Great thread, guys.

Mike - since you mentioned that Joe Sewell used Ty Cobb model bats, I'd like your thoughts on a very well known Ty Cobb bat in the hobby. This bat I am referring to is a Ty Cobb professonal model bat, 1924-28 labeling period, 34.3 inches, 41.6 oz., Cobb characteristics (white tape and tobacco juice), provenance from Joe Sewell's family, and is inscribed "given to me in 1925 by Joe Sewell." It has been graded a "10" by both MEARS and PSA/DNA. My question is, what would make you comfortable that this bat was used by Cobb and not (solely) by Sewell? Would you rely solely on the classic Cobb characteristics or is there something in the H&B records that you would find helpful?

Thanks.

Scott

MSpecht
09-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi Scott--

A great question and a good bat to use as an example of what can be either determined or logically deduced through a search of the existing documented records.

To start, let's check out Cobb's model bats. In the earliest existing documented orders from 1920 through 1928, there are references to "His Model" in 1920, 1921, and 1922. There are references to "His Original Model" in 1922 and 1923. There are references to "His Latest Model 5-5-24" in 1925, and references to "His Old Ones" in 1927 and 1928. What does this mean ?? How many models are actually referenced here?

First, it is logical to assume that "His Original Model" refers to a bat diagrammed on his card and referenced as "His Original Cobb" (this diagrammed bat is indexed at 34.5 inches.) The reference to "His Model" is not quite as clear. In 2 orders found for 1922, the first order is referenced as "His Model" and the second is referenced as "His Original Model." Does that suggest two separate models, or was it just the H & B employee's shorthand in recording shipments? That is uncertain, and a case could be made either way. What is clearer is the 1925 shipment of "His Latest Model 5-5-24" as a model made to his specifications off a model likely returned to H & B on 5-5-1924 (remember, the annual journals recording shipments from 1920 through 1929 do not include the year 1924.) Finally, the references to "His Old Ones" are apparent and logical references to "His Original Cobb" above.

So far we have orders of "His Original Cobb" between at least 1922 and 1923 that are indexed at 34.5 inches, which is consistent with the subject bat (which is actually measured at 34.375 inches) and at least one other model, "His Latest Model 5-5-24" for which we have no specified established length. The possible third model "His Model," assuming (for sake of argument) that it is not "His Original Cobb," also is of unknown length. The point here is that during that label period, and specirfically during that portion of his career (mid-1920's), there is documented evidence of shipments of bats going to Cobb in lengths that are consistent with the length of the subject bat.

In terms of weight, the subject bat is a hefty 41.6 ounces. In Cobb's existing records, weights in excess of 40 ounces are recorded in 1921, 1922, 1923, 1925, 1927, and 1928. Additionally, his H & B display bat is 34.5 inches and 42 ounces. As the complete documented weight range of bats shipped to Cobb in existing records is 35 ounces (1925) to 42 ounces (1922, 1923, and 1927), there is no question that the weight of the subject bat is consistent with Cobb's ordering pattern.

Now let's look at Joe Sewell's existing documented records. First, it is clear that Joe Sewell favored Kork Grip bats (see Expert's Corner blog "H & B Model 40k, Model 250, and Bobby Kennedy" ) as at least half of his 20 documented orders between 1920 and 1929 were for Kork Grip bats. Most orders between 1920 and 1926 were for either Kork Grip Doc Gessler model bats or "His (Sewell's) 4-25-23" which was made off an unidentified "Kork Model Sent In." Length is not specified on those models in existing records, and weight ranged from a high of 40 ounces in 1921 and 1922 to a range between 36 to 38 ounces from 1922 to 1926.

When did Sewell first order Cobb model bats? Sewell's first shipment of "Old Ty Cobb" bats is dated 5/18/26. Those bats, as noted above, were indexed at 34.5 inches. The next reference is 4/10/26 and reads "Ty Cobb / 38 - 40 oz." Then, on 4/3/29 the entry reads "His Ty Cobb / 38-40 oz." The switch from "Ty Cobb" to "His Ty Cobb" would generally indicate that some modification (length, knob, etc.) was made to an indexed "Ty Cobb" model at the request of, in this case, Joe Sewell, and now became referenced as "His Ty Cobb." Less frequently that notation referenced a certain point when the player's name was now branded on the other player's indexed model bat. The only clue here is that when a bat was shipped to Joe Sewell om 8/1/77, presumably as representative of his preferred model during his career, it was a 35 inch C28, which was one of the indexed Cobb models modified to 35 inches in length. That is only speculation, however, and has no real bearing on this situartion.

So what is the answer? Here is a Ty Cobb signature hand-turned professional model bat, with correct specifications of length and weight for the period for Ty Cobb, and also with length and weight specifications reasonably close to those documented for Joe Sewell during the same period. that is possibly a model that Sewell is documented as having ordered during the labeling period, and which eventually became his bat of choice from 1926 to the end of his career.

At this point, individual player characteristics become key. Both the nearly 9 inches of taped handle and dark application of tobacco juice are identified Cobb game used characteristics. The additional inscription by Joe Sewell, which reads "Given to me in 1925 by Ty Cobb, Joe Sewell" is additional provenance that, when combined with the specific game used characteristics of this bat and the existing documented records of this bat, are compelling and lead to a logical and reasoned conclusion that the bat was used professionally by Ty Cobb prior to its acquisition by Joe Sewell. Whether Sewell also used the bat during his professional career for a period after its acquisition from Cobb in unable to be determined, and, in my opinion, should not lessen a collector's comfort level with this specific bat.

Thanks for the question, Scott.

Mike Jackitout&@aol.com

jboosted92
09-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Hi Scott--

A great question and a good bat to use as an example of what can be either determined or logically deduced through a search of the existing documented records.

To start, let's check out Cobb's model bats. In the earliest existing documented orders from 1920 through 1928, there are references to "His Model" in 1920, 1921, and 1922. There are references to "His Original Model" in 1922 and 1923. There are references to "His Latest Model 5-5-24" in 1925, and references to "His Old Ones" in 1927 and 1928. What does this mean ?? How many models are actually referenced here?

First, it is logical to assume that "His Original Model" refers to a bat diagrammed on his card and referenced as "His Original Cobb" (this diagrammed bat is indexed at 34.5 inches.) The reference to "His Model" is not quite as clear. In 2 orders found for 1922, the first order is referenced as "His Model" and the second is referenced as "His Original Model." Does that suggest two separate models, or was it just the H & B employee's shorthand in recording shipments? That is uncertain, and a case could be made either way. What is clearer is the 1925 shipment of "His Latest Model 5-5-24" as a model made to his specifications off a model likely returned to H & B on 5-5-1924 (remember, the annual journals recording shipments from 1920 through 1929 do not include the year 1924.) Finally, the references to "His Old Ones" are apparent and logical references to "His Original Cobb" above.

So far we have orders of "His Original Cobb" between at least 1922 and 1923 that are indexed at 34.5 inches, which is consistent with the subject bat (which is actually measured at 34.375 inches) and at least one other model, "His Latest Model 5-5-24" for which we have no specified established length. The possible third model "His Model," assuming (for sake of argument) that it is not "His Original Cobb," also is of unknown length. The point here is that during that label period, and specirfically during that portion of his career (mid-1920's), there is documented evidence of shipments of bats going to Cobb in lengths that are consistent with the length of the subject bat.

In terms of weight, the subject bat is a hefty 41.6 ounces. In Cobb's existing records, weights in excess of 40 ounces are recorded in 1921, 1922, 1923, 1925, 1927, and 1928. Additionally, his H & B display bat is 34.5 inches and 42 ounces. As the complete documented weight range of bats shipped to Cobb in existing records is 35 ounces (1925) to 42 ounces (1922, 1923, and 1927), there is no question that the weight of the subject bat is consistent with Cobb's ordering pattern.

Now let's look at Joe Sewell's existing documented records. First, it is clear that Joe Sewell favored Kork Grip bats (see Expert's Corner blog "H & B Model 40k, Model 250, and Bobby Kennedy" ) as at least half of his 20 documented orders between 1920 and 1929 were for Kork Grip bats. Most orders between 1920 and 1926 were for either Kork Grip Doc Gessler model bats or "His (Sewell's) 4-25-23" which was made off an unidentified "Kork Model Sent In." Length is not specified on those models in existing records, and weight ranged from a high of 40 ounces in 1921 and 1922 to a range between 36 to 38 ounces from 1922 to 1926.

When did Sewell first order Cobb model bats? Sewell's first shipment of "Old Ty Cobb" bats is dated 5/18/26. Those bats, as noted above, were indexed at 34.5 inches. The next reference is 4/10/26 and reads "Ty Cobb / 38 - 40 oz." Then, on 4/3/29 the entry reads "His Ty Cobb / 38-40 oz." The switch from "Ty Cobb" to "His Ty Cobb" would generally indicate that some modification (length, knob, etc.) was made to an indexed "Ty Cobb" model at the request of, in this case, Joe Sewell, and now became referenced as "His Ty Cobb." Less frequently that notation referenced a certain point when the player's name was now branded on the other player's indexed model bat. The only clue here is that when a bat was shipped to Joe Sewell om 8/1/77, presumably as representative of his preferred model during his career, it was a 35 inch C28, which was one of the indexed Cobb models modified to 35 inches in length. That is only speculation, however, and has no real bearing on this situartion.

So what is the answer? Here is a Ty Cobb signature hand-turned professional model bat, with correct specifications of length and weight for the period for Ty Cobb, and also with length and weight specifications reasonably close to those documented for Joe Sewell during the same period. that is possibly a model that Sewell is documented as having ordered during the labeling period, and which eventually became his bat of choice from 1926 to the end of his career.

At this point, individual player characteristics become key. Both the nearly 9 inches of taped handle and dark application of tobacco juice are identified Cobb game used characteristics. The additional inscription by Joe Sewell, which reads "Given to me in 1925 by Ty Cobb, Joe Sewell" is additional provenance that, when combined with the specific game used characteristics of this bat and the existing documented records of this bat, are compelling and lead to a logical and reasoned conclusion that the bat was used professionally by Ty Cobb prior to its acquisition by Joe Sewell. Whether Sewell also used the bat during his professional career for a period after its acquisition from Cobb in unable to be determined, and, in my opinion, should not lessen a collector's comfort level with this specific bat.

Thanks for the question, Scott.

Mike Jackitout&@aol.com

With that said (and not being controversial in anyway), wouldnt some say, that labeling,weight,length are alll important, but PLAYER CHARACTERISTICS Trump them all??? Now, dont get me wrong, if there was a 31 inch Cobb bat weighing 28 ounces, i dont care if it had his fingernails in it..i wouldnt buy it, but.. when all things even... I guess that should be true...yes/no?

ghostkid
10-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Mike,

Thanks for your comments. By the way, nice eye on catching that Crack of the Bat photo on page 44. It's quite interesting and I hope you will share with me any pertinent info you may learn from the photographer and/or auther of the book.

Kevin

Hi Mike,

Have you heard back from the author and/or photographer from the Crack of the Bat photo on page 44? It looks to me like the tag says 34", but its tough to tell for sure.

Kevin

jboosted92
10-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Hi Mike,

Have you heard back from the author and/or photographer from the Crack of the Bat photo on page 44? It looks to me like the tag says 34", but its tough to tell for sure.

Kevin

If you also notice, there appears to be ANOTHER 34 " right above the bat!

Also, in M. Fogels collection he owns a side-written 34 inch Ty Cobb bat. (according to the LOA.. actually 34.125, but ordered 34)