PDA

View Full Version : Jason Varitek catchers gear

scrinjun
09-29-2009, 12:38 PM
What would you guys pay for this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jason-Varitek-Red-Sox-Game-Used-Catching-Gear-5-25-9_W0QQitemZ330362475427QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau ltDomain_0?hash=item4ceb2353a3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

spartakid
09-29-2009, 05:01 PM
If I recall correctly, the gear sold on MLB.com, which is probably this game gear, wasn't used in the game. If you search for pics of Tek on Memorial Day, the gear appears to be a different pattern.

scrinjun
09-30-2009, 09:51 AM
I asked the seller for some current pictures and he added them to the auction site. Its the newest style gear from All Star, and it matches the pictures I found of the Memorial Day game. And it has Tek's special tape on the mask. Any ideas on what this piece is worth? :confused:

gameused
09-30-2009, 12:59 PM
The catchers gear was discussed below. I would check the game footage from every inning to see if Tek wore two sets of gear.

Bobby

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26822

suicide_squeeze
09-30-2009, 11:27 PM
I asked the seller for some current pictures and he added them to the auction site. Its the newest style gear from All Star, and it matches the pictures I found of the Memorial Day game. And it has Tek's special tape on the mask. Any ideas on what this piece is worth? :confused:

scrinjun,

Before I answer your question, letr me ask you a few...

Why would the seller be using a representative picture of Tek's "gear", only to add pictures of the other gear, the actual gear he is intending to sell, for this ebay auction? Why not just group together the gear you are going to sell, and take a picture of it? Is he that lazy? The first picture is of gear that doesn't match the pro gear, as discussed on this site before (see the other posts). If you look at the mask, there doesn't appear to be any tape on it in the first picture. Then look closely at the shin guards......The first picture, it's easy to see there is no scratched areas on the knees of the shin guards, but as you look at the close-ups he provides, they are seriously worn/scratched? So again, why?

He is "mixing" pictures of the gear. That's odd to me. Isn't it to you?

And I don't see the pictures he added to auction site. Am I missing them somewhere?

I do see the MLB sticker on the chest protector, but it's way too small to read, he doesn't supply the number of the identification sticker anywhere in his auction for you to verify.......well, anything? So, what are you really getting here?

I would like to believe he is honest, and you are going to get what you think you will be getting, but he is mixing up his representative photos of different gear, and not showing you clearly all of the important things you need to see (the sticker number that can be verified on MLB's site).

So here's my answer to you. It ain't worth a dime to me. But if you are looking for a more direct answer, I would have to say it's worth whatever value you place on it. That is ultimately what anything and everything in the collecting world goes for.....whatever value the person who wants it the most places on it. To the seller, he apparently needs $3000.00 to make himself happy....(i.e. Make a tidy profit and get the money he has wrapped up into it back.)

The auction ended with no bids. So I guess, if nothing else, it's safe to assume it's not worth $3,000.00. ;) :rolleyes:

Good luck.

scrinjun
10-01-2009, 10:17 AM
First off, I want to thank everyone who offered advise on this topic, you guys are great.

The gear did not get any bids in the auction that closed yesterday. I had asked early on if the seller would look at a lower offer. He replied, "I want to see where this goes" OK, good enough. After the auction closed yesterday, I emailed and made a respectable offer, 2000.00, he replied that he had 2 other offers, one of which equaled mine. He declined to sell to either of us (if another offer actually existed). He said he was going to list the gear again and take a best offer made for it.

I looked on ebay this morning and sure enough it was re-listed. This time around it listed for 3,300.00 or best offer :eek:. I guess he thinks a second listing is going to get him more money.

Here is a link to the new listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jason-Varitek-Red-Sox-Game-Used-Catching-Gear-5-25-9_W0QQitemZ330364589795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau ltDomain_0?hash=item4ceb4396e3&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

Glad I posted my question here or I might have upped my offer to him. Its looking pretty shady to me now.

Thanks again
Penny

skipcarayislegend
10-01-2009, 11:49 AM
So the last auction ends at $3k with no action and it's relisted for $3,300? Awesome. It's bizarre to me that anyone would offer this guy anything at this point. Penny, don't take that the wrong way, but from my perspective, you're offering a lot of dough to a guy who spent all of around a minute and a half putting his listing together. The "real" photos are terrible. The stock photo or whatever you want to call it clearly shows an entirely different set of gear. If it's MLB authenticated, then let's see the number. He should've taken the $2k and run.

scrinjun
10-01-2009, 03:10 PM
So the last auction ends at $3k with no action and it's relisted for $3,300? Awesome. It's bizarre to me that anyone would offer this guy anything at this point. Penny, don't take that the wrong way, but from my perspective, you're offering a lot of dough to a guy who spent all of around a minute and a half putting his listing together. The "real" photos are terrible. The stock photo or whatever you want to call it clearly shows an entirely different set of gear. If it's MLB authenticated, then let's see the number. He should've taken the $2k and run.

I agree with you completely! I made him a very decent offer and he snubbed it. Oh, By the way, when the gear sold originally on MLB.com he paid 1,550.00 for the set. I followed that auction at the time and just happened to save the bookmark :cool:. I guess he thinks he deserves double. :D

Vintagedeputy
10-01-2009, 03:39 PM
So the last auction ends at $3k with no action and it's relisted for $3,300? Awesome. .

Actually, knowing how most screwy ebay buyers bid on stuff, this nutsy logic makes perfect sense!

suicide_squeeze
10-02-2009, 12:00 AM
First off, I want to thank everyone who offered advise on this topic, you guys are great.

The gear did not get any bids in the auction that closed yesterday. I had asked early on if the seller would look at a lower offer. He replied, "I want to see where this goes" OK, good enough. After the auction closed yesterday, I emailed and made a respectable offer, 2000.00, he replied that he had 2 other offers, one of which equaled mine. He declined to sell to either of us (if another offer actually existed). He said he was going to list the gear again and take a best offer made for it.

I looked on ebay this morning and sure enough it was re-listed. This time around it listed for 3,300.00 or best offer :eek:. I guess he thinks a second listing is going to get him more money.

Here is a link to the new listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jason-Varitek-Red-Sox-Game-Used-Catching-Gear-5-25-9_W0QQitemZ330364589795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau ltDomain_0?hash=item4ceb4396e3&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

Glad I posted my question here or I might have upped my offer to him. Its looking pretty shady to me now.

Thanks again
Penny

What's good for the goose........

He upped his asking amount $300.00.............So now if I were you, I'd give him a "Best Offer" of $1,700.00

When he sends you a nasty response to the offer, tell him you're just playing by his rules.

Then tell him, you'll be waiting for his acceptance when the auction ends AGAIN with no bids. I guarantee you he was lying about the other two bids he supposedly received. What he was doing was trying to milk more of an offer out of you. But you know better, don't you?

So now that we saved you three hundred dollars, is there anything else we can do for you here on the wonderful GUU forum?;)

scrinjun
10-02-2009, 10:39 AM
What's good for the goose........

He upped his asking amount $300.00.............So now if I were you, I'd give him a "Best Offer" of $1,700.00

When he sends you a nasty response to the offer, tell him you're just playing by his rules.

Then tell him, you'll be waiting for his acceptance when the auction ends AGAIN with no bids. I guarantee you he was lying about the other two bids he supposedly received. What he was doing was trying to milk more of an offer out of you. But you know better, don't you?

So now that we saved you three hundred dollars, is there anything else we can do for you here on the wonderful GUU forum?;)

You know, I'm very tempted to do just that. See what he does in return. Think he'd get a clue? Although I just really don't want to deal with this guy anymore after listening to everyone here, and I believe everyone here more than the seller. But I still covet everything Varitek.