Banned
    • Jan 2006

Re: Bryce Harper 16 yr old on SI cover

I saw this on the cover of SI, supposedly he has some nasty stuff

Comment

• flippin15
      • Jun 2009

wow thats unbelieable... we shall see if he lives up to that potential.... in the meantime let me get that high school jersey before it's worth way more than my budget!

Comment

• yanks12025
        • Jan 2006

I would like to see him hit a homerun like that with a wooden bat and not metal. Also i'll put the early bet that he's on something.

Comment

• flippin15
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by yanks12025
          I would like to see him hit a homerun like that with a wooden bat and not metal. Also i'll put the early bet that he's on something.

true, he might be on something... but there are those freaks out there that are just gifted. (Lebron James) I really hope he isn't on anything... he could be like the lebron of baseball....

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
            • Dec 2008

He looks like he has what it takes......but it's way too early to tell.

He is absolutely advanced for his age group.....almost freakishly.

But as he get's up in the levels of competition, he'll find it a bit more difficult to excel like he does in a hitting exhibition.....sitting back and grooving fastballs.

One never knows....he could be the next Mickey Mantle.

Or he could have a mental meltdown, and be yesterday's news in no time. My well wishes to him as he seems like a genuine kid.

Comment

• godwulf
              • Aug 2007

Can you think of anyone else who does that thing Bryce does with his front foot when he's batting? He doesn't just pick it up and put it down, he turns his foot completely backward, then brings it back to a normal position right before he swings. That's very strange looking.
              Jeff
              godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• PwKw13
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by godwulf
                Can you think of anyone else who does that thing Bryce does with his front foot when he's batting? He doesn't just pick it up and put it down, he turns his foot completely backward, then brings it back to a normal position right before he swings. That's very strange looking.
                I think B. J. Upton turns his foot in a similar way.

Comment

• bigtruck260
                  • Sep 2007

I hate to say this, because the kid seems SOOOO talented. But - here is a reminder that young kids are much more fragile than they think they are - especially pitchers. Remember this guy?

Attached Files
                  Dave
                  Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                  River City Redbird Authentics
                  http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• rj_lucas
                    • Apr 2009

Extremely quick release, but with a lot of torque on the rotator. As a pitcher he would have a short career. Do the kid a favor and get him out from behind the plate. Put him at a pivot position like short and he's golden.

Rick
                    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Comment

• redoctober
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by yanks12025

What a pathetic comment yanks. Sorry, but that is an absolutely ridiculous comment about a good kid that you clearly know absolutely nothing about. Have you ever even seen him in person??

Get a life.

Comment

• bigtruck260
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by redoctober
                        [/size]

What a pathetic comment yanks. Sorry, but that is an absolutely ridiculous comment about a good kid that you clearly know absolutely nothing about. Have you ever even seen him in person??

Get a life.

Kinda have to agree.

I just finished the article - and by all accounts, Bryce has been the best baseball player in his league since he was little - always playing several years up to be able to compete at his older brother's level. He had an amazing series when he was 12 years old - he went 12 for 12 with 11 homers. Doubtful his parents had him on PED's at that age.

About wood bats - there is a mention in that article about his power with a wood bat...just as impressive. Apparently, he puts on regular shows in wooden bat tournaments across the country.

I played baseball for 18 years - and against some great competition in several states, and I can honestly say that I rarely saw anyone hit a ball farther than 400-420 feet...even at the collegiate level. A 570 foot homer is impressive if you are taking an aluminum bat to a golf ball. The kid has power.

He also attends Bible classes before school and carries a 3.5 GPA - and volunteers within the community...

The only part I was concerned about was the fact that he was willing to forego his final year of HS in favor of a GED (in order to get into a jr. college and eventually drafted earlier than if he finished HS). Nothing against the GED, but with his GPA, there is no doubt he would be an All-American at a D1 school - education should be a priority. Too many times, athletes get hurt, etc. and have nothing to fall back on. Then again, Boras will be his agent (right now he is an advisor ) and a nice signing bonus will all but guarantee a long vacation from the daily 9-5...and if he gets injured terribly, he can relax and get his college in at UNLV.

Seems like a hungry kid that I would enjoy watching dominate in the MLB when his time comes.
                        Dave
                        Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                        River City Redbird Authentics
                        http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• Mr.3000

[/size]

Get a life.
                          Not that I condone Yanks comment...but do you know the kid personally? I'm guessing it would be fair to say that neither of you know this kid personally. And neither of you can say with 100% certainty whether he is or is not "on something".

Just my .02

Comment

• yanks12025
                            • Jan 2006

[/size]
                            Get a life.
                            I think your out of line telling me to go get a life, i could say the samething to you for your pathetic statement about me. And im sure im not the only person that read the article about him who said i bet he's on something, im sorry that i have not seen any 16 year olds who the body of a 20 year old especially from snickers and yoo-hoos.

Comment

• redoctober
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Mr.3000
                              Not that I condone Yanks comment...but do you know the kid personally? I'm guessing it would be fair to say that neither of you know this kid personally. And neither of you can say with 100% certainty whether he is or is not "on something".

Just my .02

Great point, but actually, while I would not consider it a "personal relationship", I am very familiar with Bryce and have followed his situation for a bit, as I live in LV as well. I obviously cannot vouch that he has not "used", as I have not been with him 24/7. However, I have no doubt that the kid is on the up-and-up. The SI story was not over the top -- actually accurate, however hard it may be to believe.

It is absolutely ridiculous that Yanks would make this leap with absolutely no knowledge.

So, I stand by my comment..."Get a life Yanks". You are out of line to make this assumption. Know what you are talking about before posting crap in the future.

Comment

Working...